Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 08:06 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
these folks have a right to shelter, it's the law. I'm sure social services try to do it economically, but the right to shelter law supercedes the cost when housing is tight.

The law was intended for Massachusetts families facing homelessness, not migrants who just showed up at the door. The law is being severely misapplied by the current (mal)administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
On a closing note when staying at a fairly new property in Smithfield, NC on the way to RI, when checking in the front desk there was a sign that no one was allowed to book a room if they lived within a 60 mile radius of the hoteL.??????

Probably trying to crack down on drugs, prostitution and other illicit activity.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:53 AM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The law was intended for Massachusetts families facing homelessness, not migrants who just showed up at the door. The law is being severely misapplied by the current (mal)administration.
Yep. I could really care less about their rights at this point. Go away.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yep. I could really care less about their rights at this point. Go away.
While I certainly don't envy the position they are in, bottom line is they don't have "rights" the way we do.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:10 AM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
While I certainly don't envy the position they are in, bottom line is they don't have "rights" the way we do.
If they had the money they would lol.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:18 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Well...I did a search on Marriott properties near the western end of the Cape and came up with this:

In Wareham --- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Buzzards Bay. Currently, the most recent reviews are good. It's apparently near a nursing home and they get repeat customers who are there to visit family members in the "home". This hotel appears to be the closest one to where my cousin's house is.

In Eastham --- Four Points by Sheraton. Reviews are mixed plus it's not that close to cousin's place.

In Hyannis --- Courtyard Cape Cod Hyannis. Again, mixed reviews. Apparently it's in need of a remodel.

Anyone familiar with these hotels?

Old 01-06-2024, 02:39 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Wareham isn't on Cape Cod. Eastham is far down the Cape, the eastern end. Hyannis is iffy. That's probably the kind of hotel they like to put them in, plus there are a lot of services nearby.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:50 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Wareham isn't on Cape Cod. Eastham is far down the Cape, the eastern end. Hyannis is iffy. That's probably the kind of hotel they like to put them in, plus there are a lot of services nearby.
Thanks. I know Wareham isn't on the Cape but it's still not that far away from the western end of the Cape.

So far, the Wareham one looks like the best option.

One option I'll discuss with my husband would be to fly into Logan, stay in Boston and rent a car on the day of the gathering.

Some years back, cousin's sister who lives in Western MA had a gathering. For that one, we stayed in Boston and rented a car for the day.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:31 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Agreed. The fact that we have veterans who are homeless, yet we have illegal aliens who are in hotels on the taxpayer dime, is disgusting.

If you are here illegally, you deserve nothing.

Old 01-08-2024, 07:50 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Of course, they don't speak English? I guess an interpreter must accompany them.
No they do. My kid has been talking to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I wonder if they're shunned, maybe misunderstood by the other students? I guess it depends how the students' parents discuss the "migrants."

They are 6 year old kids. All they want to do is play and color and have fun. As far as my kid is concerned, it's just another "friend" to talk to and play with. They don't need to be concerned with the politics behind all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts