Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 09:53 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I didn't say you should move, I asked why don't you move if you hate it so much. You really like to twist words around. If you don't want to move then deal with it and keep complaining everyday on city data.

You hinted that I should move (when neither I nor any other poster suggested that I hate it here). You seem to have a problem with involved citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 10:20 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You hinted that I should move (when neither I nor any other poster suggested that I hate it here). You seem to have a problem with involved citizens.
There you go making stuff up again.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
This. Insurers make agreements with health care providers and pay only the agreed to rate.

Another issue causing full beds is the lack of available beds in rehab centers. They can’t hire people so they can’t offer care. We are starting to see care at home where the hospital sets up monitoring equipment and schedule visits to get people home sooner.

https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/e...thcare-at-home
This is only going to get worse as the broke aging boomers land in skilled nursing facilities on Medicaid. Medicare only covers 3 months of rehab after being discharged from the hospital. The median boomer quickly runs out of money and flips to Medicaid. Medicaid doesn’t reimburse well enough to properly staff skilled nursing facilities so nursing homes that don’t have a high proportion of private pay are teetering. If there are no nursing home beds, the case manager at the hospital can’t discharge patients. Hospitals also lose money on Medicaid patients so the community hospitals that have a high proportion of Medicaid patients are collapsing. Western Massachusetts certainly has the problem.

But blame illegals. It must be their fault. The endless dog whistle in this forum continues.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:28 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Matrix has absolutely told me to move on several occasions

The bottom line is that MA hospitals are filled with people from other countries and that is nothing new. You're right that it is going to get worse and the migrant situation isn't helping.

I see people here brag all the time how happy they are to live in the Boston area because of all those great hospitals. The hospitals could give a sh*t about anyone living in the Boston area. There's always been long waits but now its getting much worse.

What exactly are the benefits of living in MA again ? What makes it special to be from MA? Anything anymore ? It's basically become a state that caters to anything that moves.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
My dog whistle detector needle just pegged on 11.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:49 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

The bottom line is that MA hospitals are filled with people from other countries and that is nothing new. You're right that it is going to get worse and the migrant situation isn't helping.

I see people here brag all the time how happy they are to live in the Boston area because of all those great hospitals. The hospitals could give a sh*t about anyone living in the Boston area. There's always been long waits but now its getting much worse.

What exactly are the benefits of living in MA again ? What makes it special to be from MA? Anything anymore ? It's basically become a state that caters to anything that moves.
If you don't like it here then you *can* move.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:51 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is only going to get worse as the broke aging boomers land in skilled nursing facilities on Medicaid. Medicare only covers 3 months of rehab after being discharged from the hospital. The median boomer quickly runs out of money and flips to Medicaid. Medicaid doesn’t reimburse well enough to properly staff skilled nursing facilities so nursing homes that don’t have a high proportion of private pay are teetering. If there are no nursing home beds, the case manager at the hospital can’t discharge patients. Hospitals also lose money on Medicaid patients so the community hospitals that have a high proportion of Medicaid patients are collapsing. Western Massachusetts certainly has the problem.

But blame illegals. It must be their fault. The endless dog whistle in this forum continues.
They need to bring back more visiting docs/nurses so people can age in place in their homes. It'd be a lot cheaper vs what they are expected to pay per month to live in a care facility which seems to cost around $13K/month on average and upwards for even higher end places.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:57 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

This has nothing to do with migrants. You really think they're the ones availing themselves of white glove medical care at MGH?

ALL world class medical institutions attract patients from all over the world. Just because you see foreign-looking folks in our waiting rooms, you assume they're not here legally?

Old 01-21-2024, 10:30 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
MGB, Sloan-Kettering, Mayo, MD Anderson, etc. all court cash paying patients from around the world. They have offices to develop relationships with care providers in monied countries to refer patients to them. They take up entire floors and pay for everything without worrying about copayments or deductibles.

Google Phillips House at MGH or concierge services Mayo Clinic.
When I was living and working in Japan, I had an American co-worker that was married to a Chinese woman. The woman's family, if I recalled supplied the 100-yen shops (similar to $1 stores in the US.) across Japan with merchandise.

When my co-worker's brother-in-law (living in China) needed surgery my co-worker contacted several major hospitals in the US. The cost for treatment was 250k. A downpayment was wired and the brother-in-law left for for the Sates within two weeks.

Old 01-21-2024, 11:22 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
That still supports the point I was making...hospitals are trying to gauge...once they get called out by the insurers...it's only then that they'll change the bill!
Insurers and care providers agree in their contracts how much hospitals are reimbursed for each procedure. Beth Israel Laney and BCBS isn’t negotiating every bill. A hospital can bill whatever they want but they only get paid the agreed amount. That includes how many days they are paid for per procedure. That’s why health at home is booming.

If you show up with an insurance that the provider doesn’t contract with, then it comes down to negotiation. When I went to an ER in Las Vegas, they billed my insurer full list price. My insurer sent them what they would pay for the service here which was probably more than what local insurers paid. They went back and forth for a few months and finally accepted the initial amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts