Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 10:11 AM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
They're really not my policies. But I'll take the range rover crowd over the dirt poor crowd any day. The middle class is long gone....or rather the middle class has just changed. Nothing is going to change...the more migrants and dirt poor people who keep coming here will just make me be a NIMBY even more. I'm a nimby to the whole state...not just my town. Enough.

The Range Rover crowd brings in the dirt poor crowd. You have to ask yourself why the middle class have disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 10:12 AM

16,330 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
We don't need any more of either of those groups in this state!
We don't. but the middle class is not coming back...at least not in my lifetime.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
We don't. but the middle class is not coming back...at least not in my lifetime.

Because the state has been so hostile to them (NIMBY policies included).

Old 03-13-2024, 10:13 AM

3,602 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But hey, our town is so "welcoming" with that "No place for hate" sign on the common!
You mean on the town common that was just astro turfed courtesy of the Rover crowed who voted for its revitalization since the grass wasn't staying green enough during the summer season?!

Old 03-13-2024, 10:14 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The Range Rover crowd brings in the dirt poor crowd. You have to ask yourself why the middle class have disappeared.
There are still some middle class towns left...the problem is the middle class that WAS here didn't want to live in those towns.

What about towns like Braintree, Abington, and Whitman for example? are there no middle class people there or are they either rich or poor?

I think you just miss middle class people in towns like Hingham, Wellesley, Milton, etc.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:21 AM

3,602 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
There are still some middle class towns left...the problem is the middle class that WAS here didn't want to live in those towns.

What about towns like Braintree, Abington, and Whitman for example? are there no middle class people there or are they either rich or poor?

I think you just miss middle class people in towns like Hingham, Wellesley, Milton, etc.
Was it really that they didn't want to live in those towns or more that they were priced out/forced out by rising taxes and COL that is unsustainable for most average joes?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Towns like Braintree have gotten wealthier. I don't consider it a particularly "nice" town, it's just desirable due to the convenient location, reasonable safety and somewhat good schools. Still a lot of middle class left, but they are getting squeezed and anybody moving there now needs to have some cash or be on Section 8, etc..

Abington is where a lot of people "settle" for who were priced out of places like Braintree or Quincy. I guess that's still somewhat middle class, but even there (due to super low inventory) most new buyers are fairly well off. DINK couples, etc.. It also has its Section 8 trash.

Quote:

I understand that will probably never come back. But unfortunately, Hanover has become the new Hingham. Natick the new Wellesley. Braintree (or Canton) the new Milton. Medway the new Medfield, etc.. Much of this is due to the lack of new housing and infrastructure.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:37 AM

I think there's been quite a bit of new housing that has gone up in these areas you just mentioned.

What infrastructure are you talking about?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I think there's been quite a bit of new housing that has gone up in these areas you just mentioned.

Not really. Some towns have hardly seen any.

Quote:
What infrastructure are you talking about?

Upgrades to roads and transit. What we have was designed for the 1950s, and we have probably five times the traffic now.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:50 AM

Ok, I guess we are seeing different things then. I've seen new developments be put up all over the south shore, some include 40B or whatever...and yes I'm still seeing lots of the farmhouse type homes (white with black shutters) going up for 1.5+

It seems like the days of building more affordable homes are gone? That is weird to me. It's like the only way to get affordable housing is build condo/apt type buildings? The problem is from what i've heard is the cost of supplies plus labor as well...like it doesnt make sense to build a SFH for under 1M around here anymore which is pretty sad.

again people appreciate having woods and nature in the town they purchased in and don't necessarily want everything destroyed to build more housing to crowd the town...or knocking it down to widen roads.

I've heard no real plans of any highways to be redone. I honestly think humans have created a lot of this. People drive more than they should, loads of huge cars on the road, overload of ubers, shuttles, buses, every family member has a car, etc. I don't have a lot of empathy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts