Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 03:13 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Why? Strong economy and reasonable cost of living.
I have heard of people leaving for FL, NH, NC...but not Texas. I guess that's just my world though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 03:33 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,785,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have heard of people leaving for FL, NH, NC...but not Texas. I guess that's just my world though
I have to agree.

On Redfin's migration list, Myrtle Beach often shows up, which is kind of interesting.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:23 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,677,969 times
Quote:
Why? Strong economy and reasonable cost of living.
Yes....but that heat!

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
Then what is it?
The place I lived in Roxbury back in 2019 is sitting empty. My roommates stayed there into the pandemic, and maintenance on it got so bad that they ended up losing hot water for several months. I have to imagine that the landlord has given up on maintaining it in such a way as to make it livable, but is hanging on to it solely for its real estate value. There may be more units like that scattered through the city, causing the actual real estate market to shrink.

Quote:
Compared to most other suburban areas in the US the Boston suburbs actually are already densely populated. Salem has a higher population density than the city proper of Houston or Atlanta.
Your first point is wrong. The Greater Boston area as a whole is much less densely populated than other suburban areas in the country, like Houston, Atlanta, DV, etc. despite small blips in density like Salem or Lynn.

Having Salem’s density throughout the inner-128 area would be a dream. However, Milton would need to add 41,400 more residents to be at that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The high income group is leaving at a higher rate than low income. That isn't a housing problem, those people can afford homes. They are just fed up.
I don’t think being high income guarantees you’ll be able to buy a good home in MA right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I don't understand those who do that^^^^. If there is public transportation available when it comes to getting to work, why not use it?
The T just isn’t reliable enough in 2024. Have a friend who commutes from Medford (Wellington area) to Newton via the T. Hearing her describe how the green line and orange line shutdowns have impacted her is very painful.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; Yesterday at 09:43 AM..

Old Today, 04:06 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times
The amount of real estate that sits empty is pretty ridiculous but that's just the way it is. It isn't just in MA either. Wealthy people buy places in many different locations and they don't need to rent them out if they don't feel like it. Then others can't find a place to live in full time.

Old Today, 04:49 PM

3,632 posts, read 1,859,514 times
Quote:
The amount of real estate that sits empty is pretty ridiculous but that's just the way it is. It isn't just in MA either. Wealthy people buy places in many different locations and they don't need to rent them out if they don't feel like it. Then others can't find a place to live in full time.
Yep, I know someone who rents in Arlington but bought a $1M place in Millis back in 2020 and still isn't living in the place full time...only on weekends. Seems crazy to pay an Arlington rent plus the mortgage on a $1M empty house but apparently they seem to be doing it without issues.

Old Today, 05:06 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
The amount that was spent on migrants instead of on people already living here who need to get to work is a disgrace. The powers that be in MA don't care about the people who get up every day and go to work. That is clear
you're in the minority, Massachusetts voters have overwhelmingly supported spending whatever it takes to help these people in every way they can. Healey, Wu, Warren, Markey, all of them elected by landslides. I understand the frustration with it, but you need to move to another state if you find it disgraceful. It's not going to change.

Old Today, 05:13 PM

23,618 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you're in the minority, Massachusetts voters have overwhelmingly supported spending whatever it takes to help these people in every way they can. Healey, Wu, Warren, Markey, all of them elected by landslides. I understand the frustration with it, but you need to move to another state if you find it disgraceful. It's not going to change.

This place wasn't always this nutty though. 20 years ago we wouldn't have put up with this crap. I think too many normal people moved away, and too many kool ade drinking transplants moved in. I like to think people will at some point wake up and realize the mess they created, but unfortunately these same transplants are probably off to ruin the next place they go the same as Mass., and replaced by even worse. That's been the cycle anyway.

Old Today, 05:19 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,555,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
They are not helping Americans only migrants. They don't help homeless vets but give the money to people who hate us. It will destroy Massachusetts and make it third world.

Old Today, 05:23 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
This place wasn't always this nutty though. 20 years ago we wouldn't have put up with this crap. I think too many normal people moved away, and too many kool ade drinking transplants moved in. I like to think people will at some point wake up and realize the mess they created, but unfortunately these same transplants are probably off to ruin the next place they go the same as Mass., and replaced by even worse. That's been the cycle anyway.
The economic profile and class profile of the city changed, and the long-standing more diverse demographics came into power and came of age. That changed what the adults in the room thought and the lived experiences. Millennials run the city now. And a some Gen X.

Social issues began to dominate local politics more than nuts and bolts, all over America. A lot of that is due to the social upheavel of 9/11, the great recession, Donald trumps presidency, and the pandemic.

People also began to see more from other cities online and they could pick and choose what aspects they'd like to dee in Boston and which ones they don't. The blinders came off.

A lot of “normal” townies didn't have the foresight tk see how they're voting decision. Would be their own downfall and they and their kids would get outbid by more skilled and wealthier people. And that the cities and neigh orgoods they'd fled had been filled with newcomers…

“The thing about the old days is…..they the old days “-Slim to Bodie on The Wire…

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; Today at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts