Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you downsize recently to an apartment or condo?
Condo 3 75.00%
Apartment 1 25.00%
Within MA 2 50.00%
Moving to save expenses 1 25.00%
Moving to be maintenance free. 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:30 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,588,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
$476 is a lot....what does it include?
Cleaning common areas landscaping it does not even include pest control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:33 AM

16,105 posts, read 7,102,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree, like row houses. They share a common side wall. There can be just two, side by side or more. In one HOA I was a member of, in MA, we had 4 units per building.. Two inner units and two outer units. Each unit was 3 stories, counting the full basement. Dividing walls were double cinder block with a space in between. You never heard any noise from your adjoining neighbor.

When we relocated, to SC, we wanted a home with no stairs. The stairs in a townhouse can be a killer for older folks. We did look at a townhouse development that had an elevator in each unit.
Exactly. Most downsize with the view of aging in place and stairs are not in the plan for most! The new developments are geared to wheel chair access, and the open design will allow for one of those chair lifts even if it has stairs, as most do. The downside is you end up living in the boonies with not much elder support, transportation, shopping.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
I’m seeing much worse now.
In smaller units.
That’s what I hate.
Condos are a scam job. The purpose is to rob you. My mother moved in there and I told her she was a sucker she can't even pay the loan if she decided to sell it she would get 50 thousand less. All she is paying is the interest on the loan so it does not ruin her credit. She use to have a house which she should of kept but listened to her friends.

Old Today, 11:38 AM

3,725 posts, read 1,919,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Condos are a scam job. The purpose is to rob you. My mother moved in there and I told her she was a sucker she can't even pay the loan if she decided to sell it she would get 50 thousand less. All she is paying is the interest on the loan so it does not ruin her credit. She use to have a house which she should of kept but listened to her friends.
How would she get 50,000 less? Even if she bought at the height of market in 2005 she should be able to make very good profit if she tried to sell today. Did she buy in late 2021 or 2022 for over list? That's the only scenario I could see someone potentially taking a loss on real estate now (if based in MA).

Old Today, 12:01 PM

15,826 posts, read 20,610,474 times
Quote:
How would she get 50,000 less? Even if she bought at the height of market in 2005 she should be able to make very good profit if she tried to sell today. Did she buy in late 2021 or 2022 for over list? That's the only scenario I could see someone potentially taking a loss on real estate now (if based in MA).
Agree on the timing.

I sold my condo for a pretty easy profit.

Old Today, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So since she can't pay the loan the bank gets 50 thousand of
the sale.

I think she bought it 10 to 12 years ago.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

3,725 posts, read 1,919,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
So since she can't pay the loan the bank gets 50 thousand of
the sale.

I think she bought it 10 to 12 years ago.
So what you're saying is it's going into foreclosure? If she tries to sell it before that happens she might be able to pay the loan and come out ok, maybe even a little profit, no? I know the tough thing is where does she move if she sells since rents are probably going to be much more than her monthly mortgage now.

Old Today, 01:31 PM

22,517 posts, read 12,068,835 times
When we were considering buying a condo, two things nagged at me. One was the monthly fees and the special assessments. The other was this--- suppose we bought a condo only to discover that we shared a wall with the neighbor from h*ll. We would be stuck as it isn't easy to sell so soon after buying.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

16,105 posts, read 7,102,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When we were considering buying a condo, two things nagged at me. One was the monthly fees and the special assessments. The other was this--- suppose we bought a condo only to discover that we shared a wall with the neighbor from h*ll. We would be stuck as it isn't easy to sell so soon after buying.
the new developments have the garage as the common wall.

Old Today, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So what you're saying is it's going into foreclosure? If she tries to sell it before that happens she might be able to pay the loan and come out ok, maybe even a little profit, no? I know the tough thing is where does she move if she sells since rents are probably going to be much more than her monthly mortgage now.
It would not be foreclosure she would just sell it and the bank gets 50 thousand. Since she is retired now she can not pay the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts