Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM

53 posts, read 135,964 times

Advertisements

Here's our current situation: we want to move to New England. Our hopes are in finding a nice city with great public schools, a positive attitude towards cultural diversity (yes, we're a racially mixed family of Jewish dad, Asian mom and Californian-born boy ), a laid back attitude and yes!!! easy weekend access to the beach...

We're o.k. with the winter, as long as we can get away from this scorching heat (we live in Texas now)!!!

My husband grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and we lived there as a couple/family for about 6 years. So. We don't expect to replicate our experience in the Bay Area while living in New England (and certainly not Texas with this heat!!! though we like Austin, don't get me wrong), but we'd like to have natural beauty within easy reach, a climate we can live with, and buy a nice little house (3 bed, 2 bath, a town home is acceptable too) in a good neighborhood at not-exorbitant Berkeley-like prices.

Other requirements? (as if this wasn't enough, huh?) Great parks for our boy and our dog, great schools -can't stress that enough-, and good "ethnic" restaurants (I don't like using the word "ethnic" since isn't every kind of food ethnic by definition? but oh, well, by that, I mean Asian, Mediterranean... you get me)

Thanks for any advice on this... comments and suggestions for towns outside Massachusetts are welcome too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM

967 posts, read 4,787,303 times
Newton comes to mind, although prices are high there (not Bay Area high though). about Newton, MA; top Massachusetts public school systems (http://www.positiverelocation.com/pages/comm_Newton - broken link) - You can also find more demographic info about Newton at Massachusetts Town Information- MA Community data - Boston.com

There are plenty of other towns with excellent schools & parks, but they're more suburban, not cities. Would you find that too quiet after living in the Bay Area?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Cities, towns and little communities ok too!

Thank you for your reply!

We currently live in what I consider the suburbs (not walkable, and SUVs queuing up on the Starbucks drive-thru ), but this is where we could afford to live. It's not far from the "funky" areas of town, so it's o.k.

I think as long as we can have the rest (cute "affordable" little house for us, great schools, accessibility to parks and beach, cultural diversity and oh! something I forgot! a community that supports recycling, public transit and biking), we'll be fine. I can always bike and ride the bus to downtown, I guess...

In that light, yes, recommendations on cities, towns and culturally diverse AND environmentally conscientious suburbs (is that an oxymoron? hmm...) in our around Massachusetts are welcome... thanks much in advance!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
Newton comes to mind, although prices are high there (not Bay Area high though). about Newton, MA; top Massachusetts public school systems (http://www.positiverelocation.com/pages/comm_Newton - broken link) - You can also find more demographic info about Newton at Massachusetts Town Information- MA Community data - Boston.com

There are plenty of other towns with excellent schools & parks, but they're more suburban, not cities. Would you find that too quiet after living in the Bay Area?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM

137 posts, read 394,892 times
i agree that newton/surrounding areas are very nice. if too pricey, maybe consider some of the nicer northshore towns such as manchester, hamilton-wenham, and beverly. all near the water, quaint and have good excellent schools

Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 PM

967 posts, read 4,787,303 times
That's true - Manchester and Hamilton/Wenham are lovely and have very well regarded schools. I'm not sure the same is true of Beverly but perhaps someone from that area can comment. Are there good ethnic restaurants in that area?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks, Jake and Scarletfire.

We're planning to go to New England for a week this coming September, so we'll definitely check out those towns you mention.

I did a bit of research on the median home price in those three areas (plus Newton) and was sad but not surprised at my findings... 500,000 and up is still too much for us, unfortunately. I guess you really can't have it all!!!

I'll keep my spirits up in the hope that the dream of living in New England is still attainable, though. I can't imagine my family stranded in this heat forever!

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
i agree that newton/surrounding areas are very nice. if too pricey, maybe consider some of the nicer northshore towns such as manchester, hamilton-wenham, and beverly. all near the water, quaint and have good excellent schools

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,919,062 times
A kid whos asian AND jewish? The perfect Lexington child!!

You seem waaay too hip for Lexington though. Ya, I'd check out Newton, Brookline, Arlington, certain areas of Boston and Cambridge even, maybe Belmont. I get the impression you want to be pretty close to the city, is this true? Where are you going to be working?

EDIT: I saw that Newton is too expensive and I'd like to reiterate Arlington. It is getting more expensive but still cheaper than many.

I'd also check out some North Shore towns probably. Beverly? Swamscott and Marblehead might be too expensive. Most of the towns that are actually ON the coast are too expensive or not-so-nice so you might need to look a bit inland

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
A kid whos asian AND jewish? The perfect Lexington child!!

You seem waaay too hip for Lexington though. Ya, I'd check out Newton, Brookline, Arlington, certain areas of Boston and Cambridge even, maybe Belmont. I get the impression you want to be pretty close to the city, is this true? Where are you going to be working?

EDIT: I saw that Newton is too expensive and I'd like to reiterate Arlington. It is getting more expensive but still cheaper than many.

I'd also check out some North Shore towns probably. Beverly? Swamscott and Marblehead might be too expensive. Most of the towns that are actually ON the coast are too expensive or not-so-nice so you might need to look a bit inland

Thanks Wererabbit! Yes I guess after all my mind is going inland already.
Also, I think it will be better for us to be closer to a city or at least to a place where my husband will be able to commute to his job more easily. He's in car sales, so I guess living in an isolated area, far from the closest dealership (and I'm not referring to a "mom n' pop dealership" but one that is visited by a significant amount of costumers) won't do it for us...

BTW, do you know if Massachusetts is a Blue Law State? (Blue Laws prohibit the sales of certain things like alcohol or automobiles on Sundays. Some people see them as backward, but they have allowed us to actually have some family time on Sundays!)

So you see, we're not that hip! We're just a working family with dreams of better weather, and a nice little house to raise our child in a nice community that shares our values towards the environment and cultural diversity!!! (yes, and closeness to the beach, which by Texas standards could be an hour drive, and that would still qualify as great for us!)

Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM

406 posts, read 1,655,086 times
Just about everything is open on Sundays in MA...not sure about cars tho.

Have you also considered Portland ME? It might also be worth you looking into.

Brunswick ME is a great area too.

Not trying to steer you away from MA...just throwing ideas out there for you. =)

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Thank you, CapeCodder. Yes, we've considered Maine, absolutely. Is that where you currently live? (if you don't mind me asking).

I think ME is a blue law state, right? Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I think we're very confused as the whole New England area seems so beautiful, and each state is so unique in its own way! But something ME might offer is cheaper housing options, right?

My only concern about ME -and I'm sure I might be wrong on this one- is the cultural diversity... I don't expect to find a replica of the Bay Area, of course... just to be able to feel my family and I don't stick out too much, I guess. Also,having my child accepted in school for his cultural background is something that worries me (as any other parent, of course, and with the understanding that there are no guaranties for anything just by moving to a certain place!)

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts