Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,074 times

Advertisements

I have a real dilema, I'm a divorced mother with 6 year old son, am wanting to move from Va. to Waltham, to attend college, I have secured financial help for college. I am having difficulty finding a place, the rents are quite high, anyone suggest a soution offer advice,I am at my wits end, and ready to forget it all, except it will be for a better life for my son and I, this is what is keeping me going. thanks for any help . Leah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:34 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Whichever school you attend should have a housing office available for assistance. In your situation a home-share probably wouldn't be optimal, but they should have info about rentals for students with children as well.
The large apartment complex off South St, near Brandeis and alongside the river, is a collection of low-density brick buildings (four apartments per house) which has aged well. Obviously, given its location, there's a goodly number of students in residence. But it's a quiet place in spite of that. Just watch out for the large number of Canada geese and what they leave behind, lol...almost took out my tailbone making a furniture delivery there once!
Windsor Village and other expansive apartment communities are strung along Lexington St not too far from the Bentley campus, and similarly house enough full-fledged adults to mitigate any racket kicked up by "college kids." You could be renting anything from a "cozy" one-bedroom to a full townhouse.
East of Bentley, there's a stretch of Waverley Oaks Rd heading toward Belmont which is lined with balconied brick low-rises. At the far end of that street is the westernmost section of Belmont, known as Waverley Square, where economically-priced rentals can be found - particularly in the buildings which abut the commuter rail line. A big plus to living in Belmont is that its schools are top-ranked in Greater Boston, significantly "better" than those of Waltham.
Just east of the Watertown line lies yet another large-scale grouping of brick buildings (north of Main St and east of Warren.)
Work craigslist.com, see what your school's housing office has to offer, and I bet you'll be all set.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,074 times
Default help in finding apt, in waltham

thank you for the reply, actually, I am writing this for a friend and her 4 yr. old,not 6 ,my mistake,it is her dilema, and decided to try and help, I live in Canada but got to know her through a forum,I just wanted to be honest with you. I told her I'd try and help by posting somewhere then I found this site.
She is looking for a place on ,moody, main, or south st. so It's close to public transit, she doesn't drive.I will tell her to check the housing office as well, but I think she phoned them,they can give her a place for days ,I think she said ,while she looks for an apt., maybe they have a list of places I will suggest to check that. She needs to be out of her place here, on july 29th,so has so little time, and the fact she would have to apt. hunt and bring her son, just the thought of it tires her, but, it is for a better life for both of them, she is trying to do most of the work from down there in VA.to secure a place in Waltham.
You are right about the schools in Waltham, they aren't as good, I had read that, I think in another post,of a women wanting to relocate there.

I have worked craigslist and even googled,I can't beleive the rents, they are so high, but she will take a one bedroom , the main thing is to have a place and close to the transit, and then send her belongings , just personal things up there. Once shs has an apt. things should fall into place.
I had to chuckle about the Canada geese, they are all over the place here, I live near Niagara Falls ,Canada, and they sure leave a mess, it's like dodging land mines,LOL
thank you goyguy for your help, I'll let you know how she makes out . your help is much appreciated. Leah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts