Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 68,280 times

Advertisements

Is this a good place to live? I have heard some not so nice things about it. I am particularly interested in the Arch street area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 PM

44 posts, read 329,631 times
I had a business for several years in Vermont that relied on tourists. I can easily say people from Springfield are,for reason,very rude. Other business' referred to Mass. tourists as "M*******s". Never heard Springfield was a great place. I grew up on Cape Cod and was surprised how unfriendly some other parts of the state can be. Grumps? That's my experience.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 AM

79 posts, read 396,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
I had a business for several years in Vermont that relied on tourists. I can easily say people from Springfield are,for reason,very rude. Other business' referred to Mass. tourists as "M*******s". Never heard Springfield was a great place. I grew up on Cape Cod and was surprised how unfriendly some other parts of the state can be. Grumps? That's my experience.
Hey man, don't lump us all together.
As far as Springfield, stay away. I work in the city all day and drive around it quite a bit, so I know. The only thing you'll find on Arch St. is crack dealers and hookers. I'm sure that's not what yer looking for.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 68,280 times
I am considering adopting an Am Staff (kind of like a pit bull) to a lady up there.

This makes me very, very leery....

She is a nice girl though, and I think she would give him a good home, but there is no way to know for sure unless someone will do a home visit (go over to her apartment & check it out), but no one is willing to do it..

He is neutered, and she says she will take him for walks, is this unreasonable to think? She is a house mom, but if her neighborhood is that bad, would a lady be walking around by herself?

Old 01-25-2007, 02:24 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie22 View Post
I am considering adopting an Am Staff (kind of like a pit bull) to a lady up there.

This makes me very, very leery....

She is a nice girl though, and I think she would give him a good home, but there is no way to know for sure unless someone will do a home visit (go over to her apartment & check it out), but no one is willing to do it..

He is neutered, and she says she will take him for walks, is this unreasonable to think? She is a house mom, but if her neighborhood is that bad, would a lady be walking around by herself?
Not unless she had a dog to protect her! Seriously, I don't think its a good idea.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 106,002 times
Hi Susie, Springfield has the highest crime rate statistics in the whole stae of Mass.Springfiled is cheap to live but, everything is a trade off.Not to say there aren't some nice things about Springfield, but remember it's the city,& whenever your in the city, your prone to a lot more stuff versas rural life.Just a thought,hope this helps you some.You might consider some outlying areas around Springfield, Like Longmeadow for example,big difference!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,973 times
Springfield is not the place you want to be at. Belive me I live there. Too much drugs and violence, but the 16 acres and east forest park areas are nice still.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,454 times
Default Tarrant Is True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
I AGREE W/TARRANT, I HAVE LIVED IN & OUT OF SPFLD. MOST MY LIFE. BACK IN THE 80S, IT WASN'T AS BAD. THE DRIVERS ARE IN A RUSH TO GO NOWHERE, OR GO SO SLOW=THEY MUST BE ON CRACK! AND THE MAMIS & PAPIS LOVE TO CROSS RIGHT INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC HAVING NO REGARD THAT A CAR MIGHT HIT THEM! OF COURSE THEY ARE LOOKING TO BE HIT, TO COLLECT YOUR INSURANCE MONEY! THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME SO MUCH, I'M SICK TO DEATH OF IT. I WISH THEY'D BE FINED. THEY'LL LOOK RIGHT AT YOU, AND GIVE YOU A DIRTY LOOK=ACTING LIKE THEY OWN THE ROAD. AND THIS USUALLY HAPPENS, NOWHERE NEAR A CROSSWALK! I WENT TO BOSTON RECENTLY AND DIDN'T SEE ANY OF THIS, THERE. PEOPLE WERE MUCH NICER!!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 PM

72 posts, read 412,104 times
As a former employee in the insurance industry, I cam vouch for spfld.native's comments. There are more ********** person injury claims in Springfield than Worcester, Boston and Lowell combined!!! People have been shot downtown in broad daylight. If you do move to Springfield, try to get a place out near the Longmeadow town line, where the homes are much better than the rest of the city. One bl ock in from downtown, there are many boarded up homes. Springfield was the 19th most dangerous city in the U.S. last year. Stay away from Holyoke, too,if you can.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 AM

79 posts, read 396,049 times
I also heard a statistic that 98% of auto accidents in Holyoke result in litigation. Not surprising to me, given what the new majority of the poulation is, and their never ending thirst for "free" money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts