Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 17,525 times

Advertisements

So I just got a job at the federal medical center in devens and I'm looking for a quite safe place to move to. I"m coming from los angeles, so this is going to be quite a move. I'm looking for a commute no longer than 30 minutes and the most important thing to me is that the area is safe. I"m looking to rent, so purchasing a house is not important. Plus can anyone provide insight into what the neighboring areas are like in terms of activites, supermarkets, etc. I've lived in a big city all my life and this will be a big move, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
There are no particularly unsafe areas within 30 miles of Devens,with the exception of the city of Fitchburg. But you aren't near any "big city" stuff. I know because I live about five miles east of Devens after 18 years in Cambridge, and found it just plain odd to be out in the sticks. Safety really won't be an issue, but shopping might be, and social life if you are coming alone. Leominster (next to Fitchburg) has outlet malls and lots of shopping, and is a pleasant town, better away from the border with Fitchburg.
Anywhere you might live further east on Route 2 would give you a reverse commute (little traffic) and closer to the big city. A town like Concord might be more of a town with people to meet than say, an apartment complex in Ayer, and you'd be much closer to Cambridge/Boston. The further west you go, the more you're getting into "central Mass." and away from big city feel and thoughts.
I have about a 45-minute drive to Cambridge (my chosen city) for a good bookstore, art films, odd little restaurants, the universities for lectures and so on. I'm assuming you might be on the young side of things? I'm not, but still choose Cambridge for "city life." Boston is right on the other side of the river from Cambridge, two train stops on the Red line, if you're more inclined to Boston's many charms. I can't think of anywhere you'd be particularly unsafe, except maybe walking on the Boston Common at night. It's like Disneyland here for crime- high crime is really only in a couple of neighborhoods, and you'd have no reason to be there.
Good luck- feel free to direct mail me if you'd like. I applied to the federal medical center when it was built, and the maximum age to apply was 39, and I was 42. They were having trouble finding many local people under 39 in the area, because younger people don't tend to live out these ways.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM

102 posts, read 449,933 times
Default Maynard is a Good Option for Commuting to Devens

I worked in the Devens area for many years, so I know a bit about the region. Without a doubt, one of the best towns within 30 minutes of Devens is Maynard. Blessed with a downtown stuck in time but with an eye for for future, Maynard has an intown movie theater, and a good variety of restaurants including American, seafood, Indian, Korean Thai, Italian, a brick oven pizza place and old school Chinese restaurant. The Sit n' Bull Pub has great ribs and top-notch blues entertainment. Babico's gives you the Homer Simpson option with a great variety of donuts and comfort foods. The Maynard Outdoor Store serves as the unofficial anchor of the downtown, a wonderful old-fashioned store where generations of families have gone for great customer service and quality name brand clothing. In addition to the Outdoor Store, there's a nice variety of shops that lend a true hometown feel.

Maynard is a very safe town, rather compact (only 5.24 square miles), and has a nice community feel. It was the home of Digital Corporation, and now is the home of Monster.com. Maynard is in no way refined -- full of modest ranches and colonials, and, at times, a rough-around-the edges look. Overall, however, this is not your cookie-cutter type community and has things to do that go way beyond watching them change the tires at the gas station on a Friday night.

What's more, you are only 26 miles northwest of Boston. So, you can have the best of both worlds -- a town commutable to Devens and within striking distance of one of America's greatest cities. You are also 24 miles to not one of America's greatest cities, Worcester, Mass., but in the future Worcester could be a great city option. Plans will hopefully materialize for the $563 million renovation to potentially truly revitalize this city, which already has the superb Worcester Art Museum, the Ecotarium for science exploration, nine universities and colleges, the DCU Center for entertainment (Wow, Elmo's Green Thumb is coming to the DCU on Sept. 25!), and about 2,000 ancient diners in business (yes, that's a stretch).

You are also minutes to historic Lexington and Concord, both nice towns with plenty of history, great preservation, and some particularly scenic, rural areas of Concord (including the famous Walden Pond).

Lastly, Maynard is home to Erikson's, a classic ice cream stand that has been in business since 1937. The ginger ice cream is phenomenal, as well as the wintergreen chip!

Hope this helps. Maynard might not be perfect, but it's a real community and a real good one, at that, combining things to do in town with close proximity to Devens and Boston.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM

9,403 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Ft. Devens used to be an active post. As such, there are some beautiful colonials built during the depression, i.e. like fortresses. There are also some smaller ranches, and all were being sold off when we arrived in the area in 2002. If I had the bucks, those colonials were beautiful and probably worth the price.

I don't know about surrounding areas, see above^^ for details.
We lived in NH.
Mass. had too many big brother laws for us to stomach.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
A lot of this will depend on your housing budget, and the kind of place you'd like to live--rural, a little more suburban, or a touch of urban character. Generally, the area around Devens is rural or exurban. Eric H's suggestion of Maynard is good if you'd like a little center of urban character in the middle of the rural countryside. As Eric said, Maynard is a little rough around the edges. It's an old blue-collar town that has seen some influx of professionals, which makes for a mix of socio-economic levels that seems to enhance the town's friendly, genuinely small-town character. There is nothing fancy about Maynard. It's not a place to live if you want a big yard or real country acreage, but it's a nice friendly genuine small town, with a fairly good variety of local businesses for a town in a generally rural area. If you want to be close to such a population center but still have some open country immediately around you, then you might look into some towns adjacent to, or near, Maynard, such as Stow, Concord, and Lincoln, if your housing budget is generous, or possibly Acton (affluent but not as pricey as the other towns I've just listed), Westford, or Littleton. In that local area, in addition to the traditional small businesses in Maynard, another big shopping area is route 2A in Acton, which is lined with strip mall after strip mall.

Depending on what you are looking for, one town you might want to check out closely is Littleton. Littleton is more a mix of suburban and rural than the somewhat urban character of Maynard, but it is another town with its own sense of community despite having its share of commuters. Despite being a nice little town, Littleton continues to have reasonable housing prices by Boston-area standards, and is located along a commuter rail line, making access to city activities convenient, if that interests you.

Like Fitchburg, Lowell is another small city which may be within roughly half an hour of Devens which you might want to avoid if you're looking for a quiet and safe place. It's not that Lowell is a really bad city, just that it may have its bad areas, and is not an especially nice city overall.

Just south of Lowell is Chelmsford. I'm not personally familiar with Chelmsford, but I have heard that it is very much a typical example of suburban sprawl, if that kind of area is of interest.

If a more rural area is closer to your tastes, most of the small towns within easy reach of Devens are really nice, clean, safe places. Some towns with more rural character that you might check out are Groton, Pepperell, Harvard, Boxborough, and Lancaster.

You're not going to find big-city life right on your doorstep in the vicinity of Devens, but actually you do have a variety of other kinds of communities to choose from, so it's good that you can have plenty of options right in the local area. Best of luck with your move.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I'd say Maynard's "rough edges" are most apparent because on the roads into the center of town, there are all sorts of auto parts kind of places, car garages, and they're right up to the road.
Sadly, I think the Sit n' Bull closed. One of the great sorta-dives.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,178 times
Could someone tell me more about Devens? We are thinking to purchase a piece of property there?
School, shopping, general feeling to the place?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 AM

33 posts, read 52,262 times
Supermarkets are the biggest weakness of the area. Ayer has an outdated supermarket that has much to be desired. However, if you are willing to drive 15-20 minutes -- there is a new Whole Foods (Westford), a new Market Basket (Littleton) and a Trader's Joes (Acton.)

Restaurants is the other weakness. If you are used to LA -- you'll probably be mortified by the local choices.

To the OP -- Maynard is a great option -- it probably will have more rentals than some of the other towns mentioned.

To the poster asking about Devens -- it is nice, and things have been getting better in regards to restaurants every year, but there's still a lot of the old Fort that locals can't agree how to develop so the buildings and land stays vacant. Fortunately, the buildings are still somewhat nice looking, (all brick) but it is aggravating to see them decay year after year. At the same time, other areas are beautiful. The parade fields are used by sports events that draw people from across the state every weekend.

Also keep in mind you are a long way from "the happening" parts of metro Boston. If you like quiet, this should not be a problem, but your options for night life are a bit dire.

A nice bonus about most (not all-be sure to check) of the real estate available on Devens is you have access to the Harvard school system, one of the top-rated in the state.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:13 PM

374 posts, read 654,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Ft. Devens used to be an active post. As such, there are some beautiful colonials built during the depression, i.e. like fortresses. There are also some smaller ranches, and all were being sold off when we arrived in the area in 2002. If I had the bucks, those colonials were beautiful and probably worth the price.

I don't know about surrounding areas, see above^^ for details.
We lived in NH.
Mass. had too many big brother laws for us to stomach.
It might come as a surprise to you. Fort Devens is still Fort Devens. There is a garrison, there. It is not the same, but it is still active.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 17,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingBeyond495 View Post
Supermarkets are the biggest weakness of the area. Ayer has an outdated supermarket that has much to be desired. However, if you are willing to drive 15-20 minutes -- there is a new Whole Foods (Westford), a new Market Basket (Littleton) and a Trader's Joes (Acton.)

Restaurants is the other weakness. If you are used to LA -- you'll probably be mortified by the local choices.

To the OP -- Maynard is a great option -- it probably will have more rentals than some of the other towns mentioned.

To the poster asking about Devens -- it is nice, and things have been getting better in regards to restaurants every year, but there's still a lot of the old Fort that locals can't agree how to develop so the buildings and land stays vacant. Fortunately, the buildings are still somewhat nice looking, (all brick) but it is aggravating to see them decay year after year. At the same time, other areas are beautiful. The parade fields are used by sports events that draw people from across the state every weekend.

Also keep in mind you are a long way from "the happening" parts of metro Boston. If you like quiet, this should not be a problem, but your options for night life are a bit dire.

A nice bonus about most (not all-be sure to check) of the real estate available on Devens is you have access to the Harvard school system, one of the top-rated in the state.
Hello,
We are planning to buy a new construction. We are confused between Devens and Groton. We have a 4 year old. We commute to Boston. What is your feedback on the towns? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts