Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 27,351 times

Advertisements

We currently live in a small town in Florida, but we are planning to move to Mass in May '08. My husband wants to live near Boston, and I want to keep the country lifestyle we currently have but we need great schools for our kids. We have three children;one in high school, one severely hearing impaired, and one in elementary still. Where would be the best place to live????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Smile Thanks

Thanks so much!! I will definitely check it out!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:04 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,023 times
Hi sthrngrace! How "county" is "country" to you? Maybe we could offer more suggestions?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:41 PM

We currently live in a town so small it is basically Mayberry. I’m not necessarily looking for something that quaint, just not a “big city” like Boston. I would just like an area where the houses actually have decent sized backyards, low crime rate, not extremely expensive, close enough for my husband to commute to Boston, and an excellent school system.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 28,037 times
Those areas that have signs saying "leaving massachusetts"

Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 PM

5 posts, read 33,468 times
Default moving to Boston area?

sthrngrace276:

Weston is certainly nice, with the things you are looking for, but very $$$. Wellesley is next door and also $$$. Newton is a nice town along with Belmont, though Belmont is closer to the city. The other issue is commute time. Eastern MA is pretty dense, so if the job is in Boston, living near the commuter rail may be a good option. There are also some nice communities on the north shore (the area north of Boston on the narbor) like Beverly. Straight north are more nice towns like Andover & N. Andover. Again, these are pricey, but have good schools (hence the demand). Concord, Acton, and Lexington are all nice as well.

Basically, the farther you are from the city, you get more "rural", less expensive, and longer commuted.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngrace276 View Post
We currently live in a town so small it is basically Mayberry. I’m not necessarily looking for something that quaint, just not a “big city” like Boston. I would just like an area where the houses actually have decent sized backyards, low crime rate, not extremely expensive, close enough for my husband to commute to Boston, and an excellent school system.
There are many vague words used. As "decent size" or "close enough" could mean different things to different people.

"Decent sized" backyards. I assume lot size about an acre (44K sq ft). Look outside Rt128/Rt95.

"Close enough" commute to Boston. I would assume an hour. That would keep you inside Rt495 unless you commute at off peak hours like 5-6am.

"not extremely expensive". I would have to assume $450-500K for a 4 bedroom. As the entry level house is about $350K-500K for many towns. If you are looking for $350K or lower, you will have to look outside of RT495.

Check out bostonmagazine.com. Best of Boston. They have a list of towns median housing, crime rate, taxes, SAT scores, ... etc.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 AM

14 posts, read 69,076 times
Dover MA is nice

Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Check out Ipswich, Essex, Rowley area. Very beautiful, on/near the ocean, and an easy train ride into Boston.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 AM

62 posts, read 245,772 times
Hi, sthrngrace -
What is the approximate range you hope to spend on housing?
Are you looking at placing your children in MA public schools?

We are currently living in central MA, about a 45-minute
commute from Boston via car or rail.
Even here, the real estate prices are fairly steep . . .
especially if you're looking for a house with a bit of land,
and we are far from happy with our public schools.
We are actually in the process of moving (out of state)
because of quality-of-life issues - pollution/traffic/noise
and safety issues have become a major source of concern
for us with a growing family.

Someone mentioned Newton as a possibility - I do know
that they have a good rep still for their school system.
But again, it's a pretty expensive community.

We have friends who live in Hamilton/Wenham area whose
kids went through the schools there and they are very
happy with the school system and town.

Best of luck to you!
Feel free to PM me if you want, with any questions.

BWG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts