Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 31,259 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from CA to MA this spring and we are trying to narrow down our search on where to live. My husband is from the south shore (Hull) and I lived in Brookline for 2 years in Grad School. My Husband will be working in Newton, so we are looking at the Western Suberbs for our new home.

We don't want to go TOO far West, since his family will visit/help with the kids quite often, and I don't want to be too far from the city.

We are going back to look at towns/homes the last week in Feb. SO far we have "narrowed" our search to Newton/Needham/Wellesley/South Natick. I have also heard good things about Weston ($$, I know) and Wayland (though they may be too rural for a city girl like myself).

Priorites are a good school system, a few parks/playgrounds nearby, and a nice town center- I don't want to HAVE to go into Boston to go out for a nice dinner, coffee etc. I'd love to be in a location where my kids and I (2 years, and 6 months) could hop on the "T" and get into the city to go to a museum, the aquarium etc.

I havn't heard anything about Westwood except that the schools are good...anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 AM

10,033 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Westwood would be good if your husband would be driving to Newton. Also good for you if you wanted to take the train into Boston with the kids.

There's not much in Westwood center, per se. Most of the nearby shopping would be out on Rte 1 (very close).

I'd say based on your criteria, I'd look in Wellesley or Needham first.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:22 PM

88 posts, read 397,144 times
An auto plant on the Norwood edge of Westwood closed down, and is now being turned into an upscale (they all claim to be that at first I guess) mixed use retail/condominium megaplex. That is right next to the T-station that goes to the city. There is plenty of shopping and restaraunts of all sorts on Rt 1.

Most of Westwood is upper middle class suburban neighborhoods from a birds eye view, with the two areas noted above having a lot of big box buildings. Overall I think it is a good place.

I can't fathom why anyone would move into Massachusetts, except maybe Canadians or starving third world refugees. Welcome to town anyway.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I can't fathom why anyone would move into Massachusetts, except maybe Canadians or starving third world refugees. Welcome to town anyway.
huh. Maybe it's time for you to get out of MA...life is too short to live in a place you hate. I actually love Boston and we have a lot of family there...hence the move.

Thanks for the Westwood info though, Casey and SG.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:37 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,490,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom to M&J View Post
Priorites are a good school system, a few parks/playgrounds nearby, and a nice town center- I don't want to HAVE to go into Boston to go out for a nice dinner, coffee etc. I'd love to be in a location where my kids and I (2 years, and 6 months) could hop on the "T" and get into the city to go to a museum, the aquarium etc.
Based on your criteria, Weston is not the best place. As there are very few restaurants in town. You'll have to go to Waltham or Wayland.

If you are thinking about hoping on the T, I would look at towns much closer like Newton. Hoping on a commuter train (which runs every hour or two during non commute hours) is a joke. Newton has plenty of parks. You probably drive instead of taking the T unless you want to drive to Newton to hop on the T.

Dont know anything about Westwood.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:16 PM

31 posts, read 205,221 times
I agree with Smarty. Check out Newton-- very nice town center, with some good restaurants. Wayland is very pretty, but as you suggested, I think too rural for you based on your description of what you would like. There is no T or commuter rail in Wayland either.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:02 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback! Looks like I can cross off Weston, Wayland and Westwood!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 8,039 times
Smile Westwood

Hi, I was surfing and saw your post.
I grew up in Westwood left and came back to raise our family.
Few Thoughts: Small town feel...20 minute trian ride to Boston
In the top 10 for highest state wide test grades. 98+% go on to 4 year colleges
Beautiful new high school facilitys
lots of open space very safe lots of town spirit
very high end homes horse farms
The last of the old fashion neighborhoods.

Good luck

Old 05-23-2007, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 15,731 times
Thumbs up Love Westwood - Young couple

We chose Westwood - even though it's a bit pricey- to buy our first home. The schools are top notch (for when we have kids), proximity to the city is fantastic, everything we need nearby (great supermarket, shops where everyone knows your name, a very active Catholic church.) We are 100% happy, and don't miss the city one bit. The nice part for bigger shopping is that you can just jump over to Dedham or Norwood, but those big shops are in those towns, not ours. Did I mention Bubbling Brook ice cream???

This is a great place.

13th Best Place to Live in the US (CNN/Money Magazine 2006)

Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 15,731 times
Thumbs up One more thing...

Westwood is a very classy town. There isn't that sense of "One-upsmanship" that you find in Wellesley or Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts