Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 49,347 times

Advertisements

Regarding businesses moving their offices outside of Boston...

In effect, this might actually happen as an unintended side effect. There are heavy fees associated with driving into certain cities (Singapore, London among others?) and this has reduced traffic substantially to the point where as a tourist/resident would find the city more pleasant.

Unfortunately, there are people who can't move into the city, or switch jobs out of the city, and will get screwed. I'm not sure but I thought these increased tolls were suppose to be temporary and that these tolls would also eventually get eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Default 30c/mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by molbio View Post
I'm not sure but I thought these increased tolls were suppose to be temporary and that these tolls would also eventually get eliminated.
I have never seen tolls to be temporary. It only goes up and up and up....

On a different note....
Turnpike chairman Cohen said the seeds of the present Turnpike crisis were "planted ten years ago" and have been ignored ever since. He's referring to the decision by the state and the USDOT in the late 1990s to have the Turnpike fund major portions of the Big Dig without giving it the right to collect tolls to service the debt and pay operating costs.

See full article
Mass Pike toll hike 50% - to raise $90m/yr extra | Toll Roads News

Just remember... this is only a start... gasoline price may be coming down a little... but more tax and fee hikes coming... Gas Tax? MBTA price increase? Parking fee increase? Speeding and Parking violation fee increase? ... Of course property tax increase... Oh yeah... if you make $250K or less, you'll get a tax break! We'll see....

Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
A gas tax is a much more equitable way to go--I'm not even going to touch the issue of waste, greed and corruption on the Big Dig project, the MA Tpke Authority and the state in general. What this toll hike will do is unfairly impact one area (mostly metro-west) for another area's road. It's going to create horrific traffic jams at Newton Corner, as people get off there to avoid the Allston tolls. Also in Chelsea and Revere as people avoid the $7.00 tunnel tolls. East Boston, the jewel in Boston's revitalization crown,will be severely impacted.

Bad, bad, bad idea all around.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:54 AM

100 posts, read 475,091 times
I'm not in favor of raising the gas tax which hits the poor heavily nor is it fair to have people buying gas in Western MA who may never come to Boston pay for the Big Dig nor the more heavily used, plowed, maintained eastern sections of the MA Pike (ie expensive). I would like to see a system like London put in place for Boston, Congestion Zone Charging. Use public transport no charge, use a private vehicle, usually with only one person in it, to commute and pay $10 per day to enter Boston.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
The other issue with the MA tolls that I've heard, is that they cost about 72 cents out of every dollar to run. That is by far the worst out of any states with tolls. Usually they cost closer to around 40-50 cents out of every dollar. Just more government waste in this state and they still continue to ask for more money even though we didn't pass ballot question #1.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
That's exactly true about the tolls. We the voters asked for the government to stick it to us by voting down Question 1. Now we've given them a free pass to just walk all over us. Cry wolf by telling us the tpke authority and the highway dept are over budget. Propose an outrageous hike. Concerned citizens that we are, we reply 'no, give us a gas tax instead'. And even though I think it's more fair and equitable, the fact remains that it's an entirely bogus tax increase, courtesy of big government fan Deval Patrick. I predict that we will get slammed with both: a gas tax hike AND increased tolls.

Bend over people of Massachusetts and assume the position. Your favorite position.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
The other issue with the MA tolls that I've heard, is that they cost about 72 cents out of every dollar to run. That is by far the worst out of any states with tolls. Usually they cost closer to around 40-50 cents out of every dollar. Just more government waste in this state and they still continue to ask for more money even though we didn't pass ballot question #1.

You are kidding! 72 cents out of every dollar goes to running the toll booths? wtf! that is insane.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,264 times
$7.00 DOLLARS IS THE TOLL ON THE TOBIN BRIDGE.Is that crazy or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts