Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

Can you explain this statement? I don't recall ever hearing this and especially not about Western Mass residents?

As for the panhandling kids, yup, they are there. Many I believe are college students that dropped out and haven't moved on. And when we speak of many, we are probably talking a few and on the steps in front of the coffee/candy shop on Main off Center Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
Many small business' owners in the New England refer to daytrippers from Massachusetts as "M*******s"....they just seem to have a bad attitude...mostly from the western part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 06:09 PM

17 posts, read 121,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
The most NEGATIVE community I have ever been around. Stay away from Athol/Orange area as it is run by the "good ole boys" a mean spirited ignorant bunch of yahoos! Head to Northampton area...very nice.
It never ceases to amaze me how people can stereotype an entire community! I grew up in Athol, and although I admit, there may be some mean spirited and ignorant yahoos, I certainly would not categorize the entire Athol/Orange area as that!

It is my belief there are good and bad in every town and/or community and you shouldn't judge everyone based on a few jerks you may encounter.

If I were to stereotype this forum based on what your statement was, I would unsubscribe!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 PM

54 posts, read 372,462 times
Default Pioneer Valley vs. Eastern MA

The Pioneer Valley is much different than the "Boston-128-California" attitude in the eastern part of the state. For the most part, I have found the people to be more friendly, more laid back, more down to earth. The area is also quite affordable. Then again, there is a reason for that - the job market is rather stagnant.

This is no small thing for me to say, since I am still struggling to determine whether or not I want to stay in MA at all. Part of that thought process is the mentality of the state as a whole. I do see a lot of "good ol' boy" politics in the small towns. Joe Bob married Jim Boy's sister, so Jim Boy can shoot AK-47s in his backyard, because Joe Bob is the police chief's brother. That kind of thing. It's best to ignore it if you can, and know that those are the type of people who can never leave town.

There are pockets of rudeness everywhere in the country, though sometimes it can be a case of your perception. I agree, eastern MA has an overly-aggressive attitude. Perhaps it's the isolation relative to the rest of the country. I do love visiting Boston, but to live there? Nah, wouldn't be worth the aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts