Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 PM

25 posts, read 97,760 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Springfield but have lived in Florida for the last 20 years. I am planning on moving back to Massachusetts in November but I am not sure where in Western Mass I would like to go. I know Springfield is out of the question. I have returned to visit frequently in the last 20 years and am apalled at the condition of the city. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking to rent a 2 bedroon apt. and hope to work in the Agawam, Westfield area. I'm not even sure what the basic cost of living is. Here in Florida we pay about 400/month for electric and 100/month for water. Does anyone know how this compares to Western Mass? Also apartment wise I pay around 1,000/month for a 2 bedroom here. Thanks for any help you can give me. Safety is of utmost importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 05:19 PM

124 posts, read 905,214 times
400 a month for electric? Do you own a house or a condo?

I don't think it will be anything like that here. In my 1200 sq ft place, we pay maybe $150 a month electric. No water bill if you rent -- although I heard the law may have changed, the state has long required that landlords pay the water bill (not sure if it changed or not).

$1000 a month would get you a nice place in Western Mass. Outside of Springfield, Holyoke, and Pittsfield, I don't think safety would be an issue.

I used to live in Amherst, but that of course is full of college kids. I like Cummington, but that is the tiniest town in the world... still, I like it. :-) Shutesbury is nice too (but that might be too far). Really, as I said, only Springfield and Holyoke and Pittsfield have any appreciable crime problem.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM

25 posts, read 97,760 times
Default House and apartment

We own our own home and that is where we paid 400/month for electric, sometimes higher in the summer. Now I live in an apartment and am paying about 200/month but that is not with the heat of summer, I'm sure it will double. People seem to be under the impression that the cost of living in Florida is low, big mistake. Even home owners insurance is outrageous and we even have to carry seperate wind insurance, flood insurance and hurricane insurance. It all adds up terribly. That is why I live in an apartment now and am readying our house for resale. Also I must admit I have always missed New England terribly. Thanks for the info about the area.
Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts