Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 24,739 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I are shortly moving to MA (him to work in Cambridge, me to do a PhD in Worcester).

Having checked out the commuter rail timetable - and been suitably intimidated by the commute times - it looks like the best option is going to be to live between these two cities. That said, we're still keen to live in an area that would give us something of a city feel. Coming from the UK, we're not used to driving everywhere, and would like to continue biking/walking to do most of our grocery shopping - as well as have some local options in terms of socializing.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something that would fit these specifications? Or, if not, input on how doable a commute is between Boston and Worcester? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
I'd opt for living closer to Boston than Worcester, where you'd probably end up driving everywhere. Plus the commute westbound toward Worcester is easier because it's going against traffic. Depending on your budget perhaps Waltham would be a good option. There are certainly nice areas where you can rent or buy a nice condo and walk to get groceries or go to a nice restaurant & it's a good area for young professionals. I've seen some nice places in Taylor St (near Moody St). I'm not sure how bad the commute would be to Worcester from there. You would need to drive.

There are other places closer to Worcester along the commuter rail but most are suburbs where you'd really need a car to get most places.

Last edited by scarletfire; 04-16-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
For walkability, not having to drive everywhere, and a young professional social scene, I'd go with Cambridge. It will be a long trip door-to-door to Worcester for you but you probably can set up your schedule to not have to go every day. Traveling against the flow you will have a seat on the train and can work. Suburban towns along the railroad to Worcester include Wellesley, Natick, and Framingham. All are somewhat walkable in their centers, but you must know that "suburban" in New England usually means very spread out and car-dependent. Framingham by the station is a working class residential and commercial area with a Brazilian population--it looked very lively on a summer weekend night to me driving through a couple of years ago but I haven't seen anyone here recommend it as a place to live. Natick is a middle class town with some shops in the center but probably not the essential ones so you'd have to drive for, say, groceries or hardware. Wellesley is a very upscale town, quite walkable, and has the beautiful Wellesley College campus right at hand. Probably not many residents in your age bracket who aren't starting families, however. Closer to Boston is West Newton and Auburndale--again a suburban area but each with some shops and grocery stores. From there partner could bus and/or bike ride into Cambridge and you'd still be saving yourself significant time on the trip to Worcester.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Cool Idears for living halfway Worcester-Boston

I would say look into Sudbury, it is a nice quiet town, with services in the town center and nearby.

Perhaps Natick, it too has services in the downtown, and in the area.
there is a mall in Natick as well

Dover is a quiet country style town close to mass pike and 128
though you would have to drive to the neighboring communities of Framingham/Natick/Needham for most services

Sherborn, Ashland, Marlborough, Southborough, Westborough, might work as well.

---You would also want to check Hopkinton. It has a beautiful small town feel, with a quaint town green and is also the start line of the Boston Marathon every year on Patriots day
I think there's a state park or forest in town as well for walking-hiking

Holliston or Upton might work as well right off 495, close to the mass pike interchange -

Wayland is another possibility.

West Newton/Auburndale neighborhoods and the town of Newton would work
as you could catch the commuter rail to Worcester and Boston.
its on the Worcester line :-)

Natick, Ashland, Southborough, Westborough, Grafton West Newton , Newtonville, and Auburndale all have stops on the Worcester commuter rail line.

Also the Back Bay Station has a stop on the Worcester line so you could essentially live anywhere in Boston and take the "T" Subway to Cambridge or the Worcester line from Back Bay

So you could live in the city or cambridge even if you didn't mind taking the subway "T" to the Back Bay to get on the Worcester commuter rail -
line.

Either way living halfway -one of you would have a longer commute because you'd take the rail to worcester and the subway to Cambridge from the rail
or you'd take the subway to the rail
and the other would just take the subway or be close enough to walk or drive to work

-jeff--

Hope this helps

Also commuter rail has free wifi so you can do work while on the train
or just relax

Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Waltham Center is a good possibility. I'd not describe it as rough but it's a bit scruffier than some other places mentioned. By car, it's going against traffic and probably 40-45 mins to Worcester.

West Newton, which is only a few minutes by car from Waltham Center, has the advantage of being right next to the Mass Turnpike and being on the train line that runs from Boston to Worcester. It's probably a bit safer than Waltham, but I'd consider Waltham perfectly safe for the most part.

West Newton is more suburban than, say, Cambridge or Boston, but it's not totally suburban in the sense of Southern California-type sprawl. It's got a decent downtown area along Watertown St and Washington St, and some very nice and walkable side streets. It would be a little tougher than Waltham for a commute to Cambridge, as the train from Waltham Center goes to Porter Square in Cambridge, where you can get the Red Line to other parts of Cambridge.

Unless you go with living in Cambridge itself and having a longer commute to Worcester, I'd focus on those two areas. The only thing closer to the midway point with any downtown at all is Framingham. Some people think downtown Framingham is dangerous; I wouldn't say so but it's not as pristine as some area towns. The rest of Framingham is more suburban. But Framingham to Cambridge is no picnic.

Natick has a downtown but it's pretty quiet there. Everything else between Worcester and Boston is very rural or suburban, and hard to walk to any stores.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I would opt to live in Cambridge, not anywhere between. Living in the city is a great experience. If you can swing it, go for it.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 24,739 times
Thank you for the replies everyone! Your suggestions are proving very helpful, indeed.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Default Davis SQ

How about Davis Sq (Somerville) its right next to Cambridge, has a lot to do and a lot of services nearby. You'll meet a lot of people. Either that or Harvard Square area. - could hop the "T" to South Station to catch the Commuter rail to Worcester, and you'd be close to Cambridge since you'd practically be on the border of cambridge/somerville.

Davis Square could be what you're looking for.

Waltham, West Newton, or Framingham might be possibilities as well

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
How about Davis Sq (Somerville) its right next to Cambridge, has a lot to do and a lot of services nearby. You'll meet a lot of people. Either that or Harvard Square area. - could hop the "T" to South Station to catch the Commuter rail to Worcester
Being familiar with the areas between Boston and Worcester, I understand the people who are saying that it's better to be right near Boston/Cambridge and not anywhere in between. But Jeff's suggestion shows the problem with that. From Davis to South Station is at least 20 minutes. If you've looked at the MBTA website, you'll see (1) that it's another 85-90 minutes by train to Worcester; (2) that there are trains out of South Station at 6:50 AM (arrive 8:14), 8:50 (arrive 10:16), and 12:10 PM (arrive 13:41). So it's a total of 2 hours or more travel time, and if you miss the train, you've got a big problem.

Unfortunately, whether it be from Cambridge or somewhere to the west, driving to Worcester is the best option.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,084 times
And what have happened? Where did you decide? I have the same problem. Help me. tnx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts