Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 05:53 PM

20 posts, read 38,535 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a move to the Amherst area...we just came back from a visit. We liked Amherst, South Amherst, South Hadley, and Florence (in that order of preference). Could I commute from those areas to Springfield? (not sure about the job yet)

Which area has a good sense of community? What are schools like in South Hadley and Florence?

Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,454,356 times
Those are all good areas. Amherst probably has the best schools for kids. And they are all about a 30 minute commute from Springfield. If you go to Springfield from South Amherst, you take the backroads rather than shooting straight down 91. Why don't you plug some addresses into Mapquest and figure out your commute route.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 AM

184 posts, read 658,867 times
Good advice from Woof! on taking the back roads, tho' it would force you to go through Holyoke...*shudder*...and you could pick up I-91 that way, unless there's another way I haven't heard of.

Amherst has a great sense of community and though it can seem pretentious (lots of professors and college students discussing particle physics and Baudelaire over an espresso and biscotti), it's well worth it. Its population is quite diverse, laid-back and the shops and restaurants in town are interesting, though often expensive, as is the housing. The cultural activities, including those for kids, are many and varied.

You might want to try North Amherst or Leverett, for a more rural atmosphere, but a short hop to Amherst. Northampton is more cosmopolitan, and living in Florence would get you out of the city atmosphere (there's also Look Park and its great bike path) but is still clost to "Noho". The town of Williamsburg is much the same, but more "quaint" and has an excellent school system. The other good thing about living on that side of the river is that you can get on I-91 to Springfield very quickly, as opposed to getting caught on Rte. 9 for an hour or more, if you lived in Amherst!

Other nice, family-oriented towns I would recommend are: Hatfield, Whately, Shutesbury, South Deerfield and Sunderland (great school system in the latter 2). The latter are great for commuting, since you can quickly get to both Amherst or Northampton (15-20 mins.), and pick up I-91 in 5 minutes or so.

I'm going to include Greenfield, Ashfield, Shelburne Falls and Conway on here, though they're quite a haul from Springfield. Greenfield is not as community-oriented as the other towns, but there are some nice neighborhoods and housing is much less expensive. Conway & Ashfield are adorable and Shelburne has a great town center with nice shops, the famous "Bridge of Flowers" and other amenities. All these are at least 45 min. from Springfield, though.

You should take a ride out here again and cruise though some of the towns with your family. There are so many diverse types of "atmosphere", I'm sure you'll find something you love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts