Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:36 PM

96 posts, read 454,343 times

Advertisements

I live in Springfield and would not at all compare it to the Bronx. I do not feel unsafe at all here. Having been to Yankees games there, I did feel unsafe. Haven't been in awhile.

The last mayor was mike albano, who brought us a lot of the problems in government that are now luckilly mostly behind bars (except him!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Could you share a few examples of how Mike Albano's government created problems in Springfield--I haven't been there for awhile?

And the reason I ask is Mr. Albano, and I am sad to say I forgot his last name, was very supportive to me in my work with the addicted population in Springfield. He was encouraging and supportive of one of several initiatives that might have seriously reduced crime in the city.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM

Like I said, he's not behind bars for anything. Some suspect that is because he has been the informant.

But here's what happened during his years:

http://www.masslive.com/springfield/corruption

I should also mention that after he left office, he immediately moved to Longmeadow or East Longmeadow, a major slap in the face to his "city".

Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
Yankee stadium is in the South Bronx which is a little more dangerous than where I like to visit up near Fordham U, its just one little blip of a borough much larger than Springfield. To each his own tho. Literally have been there hundreds of times and never had so much as a hard look my way. Could be the "community watch" if you catch my drift.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Agreed it is just a blip.

According to wikipedia its 57 miles. Springfield is 33 miles.

I totally agree with you that one blip of a small neighborhood does not make a whole larger jurisdiction unsafe. Exactly the reason I love living in Springfield and do not feel unsafe at all.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 15,076 times
Hi,

Im going to be an Intern at Baystate medical center starting july 1st 2007. I recently found a 2 bdr 2bth apartment at Devonshire Apartments Place in Ingleside. Very close to the Holyoke mall. Last week I was there for 6 days (stayed at the Holiday Inn in Whiting farm road sorry dont know the exact name) and really like the Ingleside area. Very close to I-91 (a plus) and very close to the mall. It was the week before mother's day and there was no traffic problems to get into and out of I-91.

Does anyone know what telephone companies provide service to Ingleside, Holyoke?

Old 08-11-2007, 03:55 PM

17 posts, read 114,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
First, sorry to dissapoint you... but I have been here long enough and won't let a little snipe here and there deter me.

Now for your questions: I know that it would not be unheard of for people who are the victims of muggings, carjackings and break-ins to also be murdered...or rape victims to be murdered...do you have stats to show it is 100% drug related or is this just another one of your assumptions you expect people to just take your word on?

You cannot determine where the drug purchases are coming from. It could be 100% from the burbs and 0% from Springfield, 50/50, 0/100 who knows? I think this goes back to the whole "stereotyping cities" issue - if you don't want Springfield to be stereotyped you can't get away with stereotyping the burbs as the source of the drug issues either unless you are sitting there having the drug buyers fill out a questionaire.

If the criminals were going from Spr to Longmeadow it certainly does not show in the stats for those cities. Though East Longmeadow does surge up to a whopping 146 index and hmmm...still no murders reported since 1999. I, for one would rather live in a city that is 100% low crime than sit there in 1 "good area" in a city swimming in crime. Maybe I am just wierd..

All I can say in closing is for all the pot shots you have taken at me and my numbers and statements, you have yet to produce one solid bit of information to back your assertions.
redsoxfan from Tulsa(home town Seattle) what is the best place to live up there.My wife from Maine and will move back, I have a 11 year old daughter. help.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,926 times
Does anyone know what telephone companies provide service to Ingleside, Holyoke?

Verizon.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:24 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
Redsoxfan, I don't post here that often anymore but saw your posts looking for help and thought I would offer some advice.
I think South Hadley has some nice areas, Westfield is OK if you want a higher population but still good schools and if you want some rural areas but not boondocks check out Granby, Belchertown, Southwick areas.
I will turn back on my PM's if you want to drop me a line, I will need to know what you are looking for in a house(beds, setting, acerage etc), what max mortgage you are looking at, how important schools and safety are and where work will be, how far you are willing to drive to get there.
When we first moved to MA in 2001 we could not afford a home up to our standards anywhere in the PV except for in Ware. Got a 2 bed 1 ba nice ranch near a beautiful lake for 110K. Many people from the area poked fun that the home was in the hill towns but I had my laugh when I sold the same house for 150K 3 years to the date after buying it without doing any work to it at all. Could have pulled off 160 if we had been patient. That area in Ware was very, very nice, people were friendly, good food shopping and entertainment and last I looked the housing is still affordable compared to the rest of the area. Schools were good and the hospital is right down the road and is affiliated with Baystate - which is a terrific hospital.
After driving the area for 1 month looking for homes we found where we fit in. When you get there listen to your street sense and your gut..what one person might see as a perfectly safe area with acceptable risks another may feel uneasy in. I felt uneasy in many parts of Springfield and some parts of Chicopee that border Spr.
Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:32 PM

17 posts, read 114,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Redsoxfan, I don't post here that often anymore but saw your posts looking for help and thought I would offer some advice.
I think South Hadley has some nice areas, Westfield is OK if you want a higher population but still good schools and if you want some rural areas but not boondocks check out Granby, Belchertown, Southwick areas.
I will turn back on my PM's if you want to drop me a line, I will need to know what you are looking for in a house(beds, setting, acerage etc), what max mortgage you are looking at, how important schools and safety are and where work will be, how far you are willing to drive to get there.
When we first moved to MA in 2001 we could not afford a home up to our standards anywhere in the PV except for in Ware. Got a 2 bed 1 ba nice ranch near a beautiful lake for 110K. Many people from the area poked fun that the home was in the hill towns but I had my laugh when I sold the same house for 150K 3 years to the date after buying it without doing any work to it at all. Could have pulled off 160 if we had been patient. That area in Ware was very, very nice, people were friendly, good food shopping and entertainment and last I looked the housing is still affordable compared to the rest of the area. Schools were good and the hospital is right down the road and is affiliated with Baystate - which is a terrific hospital.
After driving the area for 1 month looking for homes we found where we fit in. When you get there listen to your street sense and your gut..what one person might see as a perfectly safe area with acceptable risks another may feel uneasy in. I felt uneasy in many parts of Springfield and some parts of Chicopee that border Spr.
Good luck!
Thank you very much. I got family in New Hampshire, Fitchburg, Ma and Maine, so next summer I will check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts