Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,657 times

Advertisements

I am looking into a job opportunity in the Andover area. We currently live on the west coast and have horses. We do a lot of trailriding and have lots of great places to go now.

I am curious of areas that have small horse properties within a commuting distance (maybe NH?) but also where there are good trails nearby. We are not rich - so it would need to be moderately priced. I haven't contacted a realtor yet, I am sure he/she would have good ideas, but it is nice to hear opinions.

For those of you that have owned horses in the area - I am curious what the situation is like. Our climate is mild enough we trail ride nearly year 'round. We do arena ride (at a stable) in the winter since it gets dark so early. I have the idea that this region has harsh winters and I wonder if people even ride during the winter season.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,574 times
There are lots of horse properties in Hamilton and Wenham, which are lovely small towns with train access and strong school systems. That's about a 40-45 minute drive to Andover (which is also a very nice town but it might be tough to find a lot large enough to accomodate horses at a reasonable price there.) Lynnfield also has large home lots but is very pricey.

I suspect that your best bet might be the Berlin/Bolton area. There are plenty of horse properties there. One of my husband's clients bought a wonderful place in Berlin that was ideal for horses. Lot sizes are quite large there so you can probably find something reasonably priced (relatively anyway - prices in MA are pretty high and lots of people who come here have sticker shock.) It's a sleepy little town of about 3,000 people but is close to shopping & major routes. It'd just be about 30 minute drive up Rt 495 to Andover. I used to do that drive (actually Berlin was my halfway point to Andover) and it wasn't bad.

You're right that the winters are harsh here. We have lots of horses in our area and I don't see people out on the trails in the winter. It's too icy and often very muddy. I imagine they must ride inside during Jan/Feb timeframe.

Are you moving from CA? We used to live in the Campbell/Los Gatos area. I miss those mild winters! :-)

Best of luck!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,574 times
some trail info:
Department of Conservation and Recreation
Town of Bolton, MA - Index of Trail Maps

Old 07-22-2009, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,421 times
Try Boxford and North Andover if your looking for property large enough for horses. Both towns pricey. Towns border State forest, conservation land. Ideal for horse lovers. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts