Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times

Advertisements

The authorities in the state of Massachusetts absolutely need to change the DMV laws big time for the OVER 75 age of testing with both an eye and road test procedure, NO doubt about it either. The ones in power will NOT do it though and I'll tell you why, as usual it's political. The over 75 voters wouldn't vote for these people in power and they'd all be furious and the politicians know it and that's why the state of Massachusetts will probably NOT be changing their rules any time soon. You mark my word on this. It's due to the political nature of it all. We keep hearing on the talk shows that the state of MASS keeps saying they need to do something for the OVER 80 age group. Well, it absolutely needs to be addressed not as the OVER 80 but as the OVER 75 age group, but like I said, the state of Mass. will not do that due to the VOTERS they won't have. How much do you want to bet that's the big reason why! You think I'm kidding, it's a fact!

The state of New Hampshire has the right idea. They test drivers over the age of 75 via the mandatory eye test as well as a road test with a NH State Trooper right with them. Do you really think the state of Massachusetts is going to go this route? I think not. Of course they should and they need to, but like I said before to you, it's due to the VOTES the politicians will NOT get if they went this route. I certainly hope they wake up soon though, it should be demanded by each and every individual that lives in the state of Massachusetts. The rules and laws need to be addressed for the over 75 driver.

Here's the state of NH's rule taken from the NHDOT site, for OVER 75, check it out:

(c) Each applicant for a renewal driver license who is 75 years of age or older shall complete the following in the order reflected:
(1) The visual acuity examination set forth in Saf-C 1004.01; and
(2) The road skills examination set forth in Saf-C 1006.01 or the motorcycle skills examination set forth in Saf-C 1006.04, if he/she has a motorcycle endorsement.

My mother just in the last 2 years handed over her car keys AND her car voluntarily to my niece when she found out my niece desperately needed a car for her last year at college. It was a decision she made right after she turned 82 and now she's 84 and holding! She made this decision on her own and believe me, it was a hard one for her to make, but she was always the more sensible one with this type of issue, especially being the youngest of 6 as she had to watch all her older brothers and sisters that drove well in to their 80's get their keys taken away, she knew she wasn't going to behave like them when it came to giving up her right to drive. So let me tell you something, she's "tops" in my book! It was SO easy for my sisters and I when this decision was made by her. Thank God, because she also needs this cataract surgery procedure in one eye and she refuses to go have it done, it's like talking to a brick wall, it's the end of the line for it too. Her eye doctor explained the whole procedure to her and she now adamently refuses to have this corrected with what he told her, it was a BIG mistake on his part, believe me! So that is basically the main reason why she knew she HAD to give up driving, which is a darn good thing for all of us out on the road!

I also think that all of us need video cameras hooked on to our cars at all times, especially when we're out on the highways so we can take pictures of all the nut cakes now on the highways. Way too many road ragers & lane switchers out there now, in ALL the various states. It's pretty scary and that needs to be addressed by all the ones in power as well. It's getting way way out of hand with that nonsense, why it hasn't been addressed before is beyond me. It's of course again, a waste of time to even try to do something about it.

Last edited by CityGirl52; 08-01-2009 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
The Boston Globe has an article on the NH system of testing elderly drivers. It doesn't seem like a big deal up there, and they have less people in general on their roads. The NH system makes sense to me. I'd support it being implemented in MA.

N.H. ahead of the pack by testing senior drivers - The Boston Globe

Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 57,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
I also think that all of us need video cameras hooked on to our cars at all times, especially when we're out on the highways so we can take pictures of all the nut cakes now on the highways. Way too many road ragers & lane switchers out there now, . .
Or the cops could start ticketing people for driving in the passing lane while not passing. Not only would it curb highway road rage, think of the $ that could be made by the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts