Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 02:51 PM

23,642 posts, read 18,764,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patticake123 View Post

If you are looking for a good school system move near a Jewish population. That is where you will find the best schools.

You mean like Randolph? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 03:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,703,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You mean like Randolph? LOL
There aren't many Jews left in Randolph anymore. It is true that in MA some of the towns with "good schools" tend to have a larger Jewish population but the two aren't really related.

Also, that stereotype is silly as Orthodox Jews don't use public schools anyway.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:13 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times
I was going to say the same thing - I'm not sure how many Jews live in Randolph anymore..

Old 07-16-2015, 05:17 PM

23,642 posts, read 18,764,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I was going to say the same thing - I'm not sure how many Jews live in Randolph anymore..
I guess many of the Jews left there are older; and lots have moved on to Canton, Stoughton, Sharon and Easton. Stoughton isn't known for good schools either though.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times
Yes I know that. My daughter went to kindergarten in Stoughton. That particular school was good then. We were warned about the high school (from teachers). We moved.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,294,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
And today, it's not only the Jewish culture that stresses education. The most expensive gold-plated suburbs with the superb school systems are a melting pot of all the cultures that stress education. Asians & Indians are proportionally over-represented as are Jews. Educated, engaged parents make for a successful school system. It says more about our total crap US culture where schools are watered down and sports is often more important than academics. Anywhere else in the world, school is much harder and has far less emphasis on sports. Elsewhere in the world, if you're bright and motivated, you can get a good education anywhere. That's not true in the US these days.

Circling back to New Bedford, it is a city with a failed school system. With engaged parents, it's possible to survive a failed school system but New Bedford has an awful lot of unengaged parents.

Ignoring the school system mess, about half of New Bedford by land area is totally adequate middle class single family homes. The southern part of the South End near Fort Rodman, the West End, and the northern parts of the North End don't have major crime or public safety issues. You don't want to leave valuables in your car but there's plenty going on downtown. A music scene. An art scene. Surprisingly good restaurants. Activities on the waterfront. If you don't have children or if you can afford private schools, there are certainly worse places to live. Sub-$200K buys you a decent starter home in a safe neighborhood. The extreme north part of the North End around Sasaquin Pond is 45 minutes from Boston (at 2am). A married couple starting out can afford that on working class service sector jobs with a $35K household income. Good luck finding that anywhere else in the state.

The demographics and crime statistics of the projects and Section 8 tenement building neighborhoods are awful. Very high poverty rate. Lots of single parents. Drugs. Prostitution. Unemployment. The things you expect in any Section 8 ghetto. Even there, I don't feel like I have a personal safety issue but I'm not walking around at midnight, either. As property prices have soared in metro-Boston, the permanent underclass has been displaced farther from the city. The bad parts of New Bedford are the dumping ground for those people.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:26 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,789,310 times
Yes, it is both fascinating and horrific. The genocide of a species. No one in the world should ever be allowed to hunt a whale again. We don't need anything from them anymore.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:11 AM

296 posts, read 532,930 times
I lived in one of the "good" neighborhoods of new Bedford and after our house got robbed, by our neighbor, we were systematically harassed by groups of thugs whenever we left our house aggressively questioning us as to why we were talking to police. I had to put my wife in a hotel and we broke our lease one month early (landlord was understanding). Its been one year and police have done nothing. "Detectives" on the case never once returned a single call we made, even though I found a pawn shop with video footage of our neighbor attempting to pawn our items

City is broken. And I doubt its going to be fixed anywhere soon. One of the most alarming things I saw is what was at best the complete acceptance by most people that the city is a ****hole and that there's nothing that can be done about it and whats worst there are a lot of people who have some perverted sense of pride about living in a "hard" or "rough" city. When almost everyone feels that way change is not going to come anytime soon

Last edited by el_greco; 07-19-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 11:16 AM

14,058 posts, read 13,959,440 times
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/artic...NEWS/150809594
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts