Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 AM

21 posts, read 70,515 times

Advertisements

Hi,

You guys have always come through with great info for a guy who's spent a lot of years out of the States! I have been offered an opportunity to move to Mass. (the office is in Natick) and know ZERO about Boston or Mass at all!

Would love to hear where a single 42 year old would enjoy living? I'm pretty open as far as rental prices, and would like to have some social outlets, and a nice condo, good neighborhood-and am guessing I'd want to live in Boston Vs. Natick or elsewhere.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
What's your budget like? Do you prefer urban or suburban?

The Nouvelle Condos at the Natick Collection are being auctioned at a much lower cost than marketed... it may be something to look into. It's luxury condos at a high-end shopping center in Natick. May or may not be your thing.

For true neighborhood feel, you'll have to be closer to Boston. Boston has some good neighborhood centers (you COULD live downtown), but so do Newton and Brookline and they're a bit closer to Natick. If you live in central Boston, know that having a car is going to be a hassle. There are few cities less car friendly than Boston. The good news is that depending on where your office is, you may be able to commute to work without a car via commuter rail. Either way, you'd be "reverse commuting" which is much easier than dealing with the daily rush.

A price range and description of the type of neighborhood you like would help narrow it down. Boston's neighborhoods range from ultra-high density urban, to quaint "squares" surrounded by detached homes.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Thanks Irfox.

Again, as a single guy, I'd like to get the most bang for my buck as far as area, and life/work balance. I'd like a more modern, hip condo/apt, and budget is not really a big issue-so open there. I think I would like to own a car, even if commuting, but it seems the places I've seen have either a valet or a dedicated spot. So again, my guess would be to find a nicer/hipper/fun downtown area, with a good size condo, near the line i would take to Natick (West Central).

Any suggestions?

Jack

Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
No problem,

The South End and Back Bay come to mind. Possibly even Fenway. From the Back Bay and South End you can pick up the train to Natick from Back Bay station. Depending on where you'd be in Back Bay, Yawkey might be a closer station... it's definitely closer to the Fenway neighborhood.

The Back Bay is one of Boston's most elite neighborhoods. It's perfectly located near everything in Boston. It's also expensive as hell. A recent purchase was made by a man for $300,000.... for a parking space in Back Bay. The houses here are gorgeous and historic, but what you get for your money might be a bit smaller than what you hope. There are some newer condos, but not too many. The Clarendon is a nice new one opening up right next to Back Bay station... it's a little more luxury than trendy (I toured a few units recently) but it's very nice. The Residences at the W are very nice too... a brief walk/short walk to South Station or Back Bay station where you can get the train.

Again, Boston is an older city so most of the housing stock is quite old. Many of them have been converted to modern living spaces, but they're still old. The South End is a much trendier neighborhood than Back Bay which can be stuffy (still very nice) at times. It's also a bit more affordable than Back Bay. The 1850 (http://www.the1850.com/site/index.php - broken link) is one such conversion project. It's very nice and for Boston, very affordable. My favorite Condo building in all of Boston is Fp3 right near South Sation in the Fort Point Channel District. It's absolutely gorgeous (I was seriously looking at a unit there, but unfortunately, I just can't afford it right now) and so close to everything. Intercontinental Residence adjacent to South Sation may interest you too.

Fenway is more of a middle-class collegiate area, but it still has some decent housing at a bit more reasonable costs. It wouldn't hurt to check it out a bit.

There are more, but that may give you a start. Living in Back Bay, South End, Fort Point, and Fenway would put you in good position to get to work and even better position to make the most of being single in the city. Having a car isn't easy in these areas, but it's more doable in the Ft. Point are and the South End. Prices for off-street parking in the back bay are obscene. Finding a spot ON the street is tough too.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Good info from LRFox, as usual. Wanted to rep you LR, but have to "spread some." An idea I have, in case you would be inclined to drive to work, would be the Jamaica Plain section of Boston. I don't know details about specific streets or neighborhoods that are nice, let alone condo developments, but the J.P. section in general is know for having the kind of trendy feel found in the South End, except that J.P. is a little farther out than the areas LRFox suggested, so it may be easier to park there without having to shell out big money for a private parking space.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
And I've wanted to rep LR and Ogre about 100 times each but I have to spread some too. I guess I should not be so parsimonious with it since there are plenty of people with wisdom to share, but you two generally hit it right on the head.

St. Jack-I'm a little unclear but it seems you're not keen on the valet/dedicated spot thing. If you want new and hip it might be hard to avoid. Not too many places around here with any kind of newer condos and active life have easy street parking or driveways.

It may not resolve the parking issues, but you might check out what's going on in the now-called "Leather District" or on the S. Boston waterfront near Fort Point. Both are near South Station, where the train for Natick starts. On that topic, are you sure the train's an option? If the workplace is not near the station in Natick you could have quite a hassle commuting that way.

The Leather District is an older warehouse-like district (think Soho with more red brick and less street activity). Downtown Boston (which is essentially adjacent to the Leather District) is more deserted at night and there is less going on than in the Back Bay (where Boylston and Newbury Sts and Mass. Av. are more bustling late in the evening while Comm Av, Marlboro St and Beacon St. are almost serene). The Leather District, though, does have some hidden-away action and is near all the areas in Boston with anything going on. There have been a decent number of hip loft-style condo developments there recently as I understand. LR is much more up to speed on those kinds of developments than I am.

The Fort Point are, just east of South Station across the channel, is another warehouse-like place, less intergrated into the city perhaps than the Leather District. Fort Point had a lot of artists until recently and still does to some extent, but I've been told that they're starting to be priced out. A couple of companies have been very active in converting older buildings along Congress and Summer Sts (area near Sleeper and A) to condos and apartments. Within a couple of blocks are many, many parking lots where you can get a monthly space for less than in the Back Bay or a garage in the heart of Boston's financial district.

Farther out on the South Boston waterfront a decent amount of office development and a new convention center have gone up, but I think the area really lacks for streetscape (in no small part due to the massive parking lots) and is in danger of turning into a real lost opportunity as it develops poorly.

In the opposite direction, both geographically and atmospherically, you might have an interest in Newton near the West Newton or Newtonville commuter rail stations. Not much there in the way of new or hip, buy there are some lovely apartments available and it's much cheaper and easier to park. There is some nightlife (and some decent restaurants) in Newton's "villages" (there are a number of downtowns in Newton; the city of Newton consists of a number of so-called villages and each has its own little downtown. West Newton, Newton Centre, Nonantum (the Lake), and maybe Newtonville are probably the most significant of these.). Obviously there is a lot more going on in the Back Bay, South End, or downtown Boston (in which I'm lumping in the Leather District and Fort Point).

Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
The South End definitely would be a worth a look. Note, however, that the South End is different than South Boston (aka "Southie"). Those uninitiated to the area can easily confuse the two but they're very different.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Thanks All for your good input! Just to clarify, I'm all for valet! Especially as a California boy not really loving the cold weather!! One last thought, which I'm sure has been posted here somewhere, but where are some cool spots for a 42 YO straight guy to hang out after work near home, and some good bars/pubs with good food until late that would be in my area, if I chose Back Bay, W Res area?

Cheers, and thanks again!

Jack

Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 PM

11 posts, read 28,958 times
There are a ton and I mean a ton of singles things to do in Boston. My mom became single in her late forties and there were many clubs that had singles nights for that age range she would go to with her girlfriends. I think the fenway area wouldn't be a great option as it is mostly a college 21 year old crowd. South boston is very up and coming with lots of new hip nice places. [SIZE=-1]140 Northern Avenue Boston, MA they have singles events. Take a look at Over-40 Singles Get Back Into the Swing of Things! - Con Chapman - Open Salon (http://open.salon.com/blog/con_chapman/2009/04/05/over-40_singles_get_back_into_the_swing_of_things - broken link). Plus Boston was rated number 2 on forbes list for singles. There are so many bars and clubs in the city I would advise just checking some out and see what works for you. The vault is a nice bar and I find some parts of the city are better than others. Try Boston | Singles Events Guide .I would stay away from landsdown street if your over 25. The theater district has some nice places. Hope this helps!

[/SIZE]

Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 AM
m.1

7 posts, read 28,781 times
yes, the south end is quite nice, since everything is five to ten minutes, tops, from your doorstep,but it can be very noisy also, depending on where you are, with ambulances, fire engines, and police cars whistling by at all hours of the night quite often. also, a decent sized place is going to run you some dough. i like the guy who said brookline. still quite close, but much more relaxed and quiet. also very safe, clean, and just a hop on the green line and you can be anywhere very quickly; don't need a car. you really don't want the headache of a car in the city, anyway..unless of course you decide to go a bit further into the burbs, beyond the reach of the 't' (subway)...
i like the south end and cambridge, depending on the location. brookline is very nice as well. if you are well off you might want to look at the 'back bay', just north or the south end, though much more 'posh' and pricey . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts