Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Where will Ed swim in Melrose? Isn't swimming the first requirement for a dog neighborhood here?
Where I live, there is a very pretty lake that dogs love. My first two dogs were border collie/corgi mutts- like squashed border collies. They ran into the lake, realized they were in water, and ran out, shrieking. They never would swim- would walk to the edge of the sand bar and look longingly at the toy or stick, but absolutely refused to go further. I even took them to doggy summer camp and they had lessons (rather, a trainer in a wet suit pulled them into the middle of the pond and sent them back to shore. Those fat little legs were perfect for swimming those thick little bodies back to shore, but they never did it again). I suspect they didn't have an ounce of Golden or Lab in them!
Ed gotta swim. A boy's gotta do what a boy's gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM

216 posts, read 682,262 times
Ed can swim in a variety of ponds, on the QT, in Melrose...my dog has swam (is that correct grammar?) in Towners Pond, and Swains pond. Mt. Hood, late fall when the golfers aren't there, has a variety of ponds. If Ed is a well behaved, typical nice-boy Golden, he can apply to be a Goose Dog volunteer for the city...he will then get a badge, and be able to legally be off leash to chase the geese off the playing fields and knoll, and have the city's blessing to jump into Ell pond in pursuit of geese! What more could a Golden Retreiver want?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,173 times
Ed would be all over that job. He does some work with seniors & has done therapy work with a diabetic child where I currently live but nothing quite gets his attention like "squirrels" except for maybe "beach".
One of the advantages (or disadvantages) of my job is my hours aren't 9-5. This allows for commutes outside of normal rush hour. I have many fellow pilots that live in the Exeter NH area & say the drive isn't bad at all. I'm coming from So Cal & after living with the 405 freeway anything is tolerable. However I have heard the 95 is better than the 93.
Can't thank you all enough for the input!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM

100 posts, read 295,510 times
I used to live in Marblehead and took my golden on Preston beach everyday. Don't know about rentals in the Clifton area, but worth a try with Preston beach right there and the airport 20 minutes away with no tunnel or bridge. MH is a pretty town.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,408 times
Come to Marblehead. The town has many airline workers of all types and a ton of Goldens and Labs.
We love our big, smart retrievers! Leash and pickup laws. Soon to be completed dog park. As a bonus, it is a great town to walk. Dog on leash? Immediate friends.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Yes I-95 does circles around I-93, it IS a lot better, hands down. You definitely will not mind that commute one bit. The road is a lot nicer too, there's no comparison. It's a breeze taking that highway a lot of times. A lot of pilots & flight attendants on the "Logan Express" run by C&J bus company you know. No flies on them getting to Logan when they need to! It's certainly a great alternative instead of driving all the way in. Keep it on the back burner for down the road when you move to the seacoast later on. We either leave from Portsmouth, Newburyport, Durham or Dover, NH. I actually like the Newburyport bus terminal out of all of them, Portsmouth is nice too though with over 900 FREE parking spots. They're all convenient actually. Free parking? You can't beat it, it's wonderful. Also C&J has brand new buses recently bought all with leather seats, bottled water is provided & wifi. You're at Logan in less than 40 minutes from the Newburyport terminal, if you go to Portsmouth it's only another 10 minutes or so further up I-95. If they don't have a parking spot in Newburyport you just give them your keys and they take care of your car, it's great that way. They're adding more parking spots right now as I write this at this very location. It will be ready by early 2011 from what the Newburyport Online site says about it.

I'm leaving for Florida pretty soon & taking this "Logan Express" myself. It's SO much better than driving all the way in!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 AM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
Ed can also swim in Spot Pond in the Middlesex Fells Reservation he lived in the Melrose area. Also, Breakheart Reservation in Saugus/Wakefield has a dog run and many ponds to swim around (and tons of dogs walking there). If you are thinking of NH, are you thinking that you'd like lots of land? Because you won't get much in many of those North Shore towns.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 AM

110 posts, read 202,279 times
Default Best for Baby!

Hi,

Can you tell I love my girl?

I want to put in a word for Marblehead; we're moving there in a couple of weeks. That said, the town we're leaving, Carlisle, is **fantastic** for dogs. Miles and miles of hiking trails and, the very best spot for dogs? The cranberry bog. It's over 300 acres of flat open space with tons of water. You're on your own socially in Carlisle though - if you love the country and solitude, it's bliss and if you have kids in the schools you'll make fast friends. If you want a lot more social life, likely not the place!

Hope to see you around!
Attached Thumbnails
My Golden (and I) need a new home (north of Boston)-stellagoldphoto.jpg   My Golden (and I) need a new home (north of Boston)-stellajump.jpg   My Golden (and I) need a new home (north of Boston)-stellaprofile.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts