Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,334 times

Advertisements

What about the cost of heating (or cooling)? This thread shows me that so many people are still not aware about the energy that has to go into such a house. Open floor plans, high ceilings, huge windows-all that is wasted energy. The old generations knew why they built houses with several small rooms: each one could be heated separately with a stand alone oven.
Now the newer colonials where probably not built with that in mind, but it will be much easier to install a door, rezone your heating and put in a wood stove. And I don't want to sound extreme-but the energy crisis will come one day and owners with the big, open houses will be in a world of pain. I have seen all this in Germany, where I am from. Oil, gas, electricity and water is soooo expensive over there, it makes you think twice about heating a room you don't absolutely need. Germany is a very developed, modern country and what happened there will happen here too.
Still I wish you good luck with the sale. It is hard no matter what style your house is :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobetexan View Post
My home is going on the market, and it's a contemporary. Having a heck of a time trying to find comparable properties around here, and realizing it's probably going to be a tough sale.

People have the oddest reactions to contemporary homes here. It's hard to understand what's not to like about a very open floorplan, lots of glass and light and a visually arresting living space.
I had the same problem with comps and according to our real estate agent, our house was going to be a tough sell- we sold it to the first person who saw it- it took a week. It's all about timing and your house might be exactly what someone is looking for.

I think people are okay with open floor plans and glass and light but "visually arresting" doesn't scream "homey" which is what is what seems to sell. Talk to your realtor and ask truthfully what you need to do to make it appealing to the masses. Many people can't see past color or furnishings to see the potential of a space so anything too unusual will scare off a buyer. I also think many people don't want their home to be extremely different from those in the same neighborhood or community. While cookie cutter, same house, different shutter neighborhoods are unappealing so, is a house that does not fit either by being oversized or of a style that does not work in harmony with those around it.

Being waterfront, your home will appeal to those looking for that location, let's face it, they aren't making anymore shoreline so that is HUGE plus on the board for you.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 PM

117 posts, read 347,445 times
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post photos (or a link to a slideshow), but if it is, I'd welcome input.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM

30 posts, read 92,116 times
Well, I'm a native and so is my husband and we love contemporary homes. Especially mid-century modern which is totally out of our price range. So many wonderful homes in Lincoln, Lexington etc but all in the $1 mill. range. I have to say, that if a home is designed well and set properly on the land regarding passive solar energy, you can save a ton of money on energy (oil, gas etc). It's funny because so many people we know look at the homes we like and the first thing they say is "Oh no, how are you going to heat that blah blah" but they know nothing about passive solar heat and they sit in their homes, with all these diff. rooms set off from one another, that they have to heat (i.e. the unused formal living room) and cool and fill with furniture and lights and so many times the home is placed on their lot so they can't take advantage of winter/solar energy. You can get away with such a smaller footprint if a home is designed well. So many of these mcmansions are NOT designed well. It's style over function. We're having a horrible time finding a home that we like. We visit one colonial after another. They all look the same and are so boring and with so much wasted space. I love thought and creativity in design. It seems like the only thought is how easily the builder can get these houses finished rather than how people will actually use them.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post photos (or a link to a slideshow), but if it is, I'd welcome input.

I'm not sure either. You could send a p.m. with a link. I'd be happy to share my impressions.

When do you go on the market?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
And people feel like they "need more space." No, they need different space, not more.
...or they need to use the space they have differently. Formal dining rooms can be excellent home offices -- room enough for a desk and some book cases and usually just off of the kitchen, thus close to the action of the house. We use our "formal living room " as a playroom for the kids. All toys and games, no stuffy, unused furniture.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM

117 posts, read 347,445 times
Default What sort of real estate photos catch your eye more?

Not trying to misuse this site by trying to market my house here, so I am not including anything identifying about where it is, price, etc. But there is a new photography technique called HDR (high dynamic range) which is being used to sell real estate. I'm an art director myself, so it intrigues me, but we all know that your online presentation now plays a huge role in marketing real estate.

HDR creates an almost painterly image by allowing outdoor images to show normally along with indoor ones, and increasing detail of floors, counters, lighting, etc. They are pretty cool looking, but almost look artificial or computer generated.

I renovated this house in 2007 (it's a pretty dramatic contemporary, or at least it is now, it didn't resemble this at all when I bought it), and I took some equally dramatic nighttime shots when it was nearly complete. But I also hired someone yesterday to take some HDR photos of it, as well. I'd like some opinions on which you think would "sell" the house better, or at least make it stand out against its competition.

Again, no details on where it is, and so forth, I'm not trolling for buyers. But a lot of people here are interested in buying and selling real estate and I think it's a valid debate. If it strikes the moderators as being out of bounds, just spike the thread.

HDR images:
vincentHDR

Conventional shots:
vincentnight

Thoughts welcome ...

Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
My home is going on the market, and it's a contemporary. Having a heck of a time trying to find comparable properties around here, and realizing it's probably going to be a tough sale.

People have the oddest reactions to contemporary homes here. It's hard to understand what's not to like about a very open floorplan, lots of glass and light and a visually arresting living space.

When I bought my house, I looked at Colonial after Colonial, so when I walked in here, it was so different and refreshing that I wound up buying it. But I'm also not a native here.

The first thing people say when they walk into my house is invariably "Wow!" but I'm doubtful many would really want to live in it. Why are Colonials, Capes and even bungalows more comfortable to New Englanders?
To me, contemporaries don't seem as cozy.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:08 PM

The HDR shots are fabulous. They really showcase the house. I looked at many homes online and never saw such clear photos. This would be a really great tool for marketing homes that do not fall in the fixer upper category. So many homes in all price ranges have terrible photographs that don't do justice to the spaces they portray. These photos will make a buyer want to tour the space.

Your house is fabulous. It seems to fit in very well with the homes around it. The only thing that screamed contemporary to me was the staircase and railings but your colors, furnishings and accessories prevent it from being cold. The outdoor hardscapes are terrific as well. The exterior is contemporary but still has very traditional lines, colors and landscaping that I think would be appealing even to someone who doesn't care for contemporary architecture.

Good luck, I can't imagine you will have a problem selling.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM

397 posts, read 1,398,803 times
New England isn't overly sleek or stylish- you ever see how bad people dress here, especially in MA.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-24-2010 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: O/T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts