Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:39 PM

91 posts, read 419,709 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Just a simple question for all you folk that actually live on Maui:

Are there any neighborhoods you would *NOT* live in or would dissuade someone from living in?
(eg. too much crime, too noisy, etc).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Hi everyone!

Just a simple question for all you folk that actually live on Maui:

Are there any neighborhoods you would *NOT* live in or would dissuade someone from living in?
(eg. too much crime, too noisy, etc).

Thanks!

yes, there are. but I think for the most part once you drove by you know you would not want to be there. with what you can afford to pay you should be fine. parts of kihei and lahaina can be noisy. parts of wailuku and kahului are less desirable. kula, paia hana lots of great places but if you are working at the hospital you might not like the commute. pm me vicious if you have an address you are unsure about I might be able to help.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Yes, for sure. But then which area might depend on who's asking. I wouldn't live in some areas that are clearly just the ticket for others.

Best advice for checking out potential areas - go see it on a mid-week night, then again on a Friday or Saturday night. Daytime drive-bys won't give you the real picture, as often many are out working or hanging out at the park. But a mid-week night will show you how many cars are parked around each house. The more cars, the more likely it will be noisy. Then the weekend nights will tell you how much partying is likely to happen.

Personally I advise people to stay away from areas where there are groups of guys with bottles in their hands.

Other things to watch for:

Daycare homes (see lots of toys and fences) - noisy during the day, often also have evening & weekend care too. Not good for those that need to rest or sleep during the day, and traffic in the morning & evening will be an inconvenience as parents drop/pick up kids.

Pets - if you are liking a street, walk up it during the evening. Lots of dogs barking at you means you will hear barking when you live there. Big dogs in many yards might mean the residents think they need protection.

Parking - weekday night visits will show you if there is going to be any street parking. Houses might have garages, but frequently they aren't used to park cars, and those places with several people living in one house (or several rental units) means more cars on the street. If you are going to have to park on the street, check out if you can do it anywhere near where you live.

Kids playing - personally I like it when the neighborhood kids play outside, but it's not for everyone.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
If you see people who look like they're on meth, you don't want to live there. Happy Valley is one such place

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Yes, for sure. But then which area might depend on who's asking. I wouldn't live in some areas that are clearly just the ticket for others.

Best advice for checking out potential areas - go see it on a mid-week night, then again on a Friday or Saturday night. Daytime drive-bys won't give you the real picture, as often many are out working or hanging out at the park. But a mid-week night will show you how many cars are parked around each house. The more cars, the more likely it will be noisy. Then the weekend nights will tell you how much partying is likely to happen.

Personally I advise people to stay away from areas where there are groups of guys with bottles in their hands.

Other things to watch for:

Daycare homes (see lots of toys and fences) - noisy during the day, often also have evening & weekend care too. Not good for those that need to rest or sleep during the day, and traffic in the morning & evening will be an inconvenience as parents drop/pick up kids.

Pets - if you are liking a street, walk up it during the evening. Lots of dogs barking at you means you will hear barking when you live there. Big dogs in many yards might mean the residents think they need protection.

Parking - weekday night visits will show you if there is going to be any street parking. Houses might have garages, but frequently they aren't used to park cars, and those places with several people living in one house (or several rental units) means more cars on the street. If you are going to have to park on the street, check out if you can do it anywhere near where you live.

Kids playing - personally I like it when the neighborhood kids play outside, but it's not for everyone.
Great advice!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:49 AM

90 posts, read 296,749 times
Yeah, I was going to say that. Stay away from the Valley. That's our Compton. lol

Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,074 times
well ive been here for 9 months and i live in south Kihei... It is 80-85 degrees everyday and doesnt get much rain.. almost like CA. desert in springtime..it does get dusty here too... but i really love the beaches and parks here.. also the nite life is abundant here if you like live entertainment...foodland times and safeway r close by.. there are ways to live here cheap.. Kings hawaiin offers a hearty breakfast for 3.99 and lifes a beach has $5 lunch special everyday.. The local church has a free dinner dailey around 6pm... rent is also affordable if you look around...

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-27-2012 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: unnecessary commentary

Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
'The local church has a free dinner dailey around 6pm' Just in case you don't know, Saint Theresa's free dinner ISN'T for newcomers on a budget.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Saint Theresa's Hale Kau Kau doesn't ask or care why you are there to eat, they will just feed you. They are so low key about this daily incredible service they don't even list it on their website... they just serve, food and ministry, every day, no questions asked.

I believe the original message was to leave judgement to Someone else.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
When a church is handing out free meals, they are intending to help the down and out. It is for people who are homeless or jobless or both. Not intended to help out people who want to stretch their vacation budget.

If you (generic you) are capable of feeding yourself, do not use up resources that are intended for the truly needy. The charities who are feeding the destitute have enough problems getting everyone fed without adding more clients who are perfectly capable of buying their own food.

If you wan to eat free meals at the church, go by and cook and serve. You will get fed then and will be useful and not be a leech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui