Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times

Advertisements

You can probably pick up a used rental car over here for next to nothing, I mean as opposed to a used car dealership. God knows there's enough of them over here. Rental cars that is.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM

48 posts, read 354,625 times
Also note the Superferry is starting up in September and will allow you to easily transport your car to Maui for about $70 one way. This opens up a huge car buying market for Maui residents to tap into the glutted Oahu used car business. There are more cars on Oahu than people!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Since your SUV is a 2005, you've probably already taken a major hit in depreciation, so it might be somewhat worthwhile to ship it to Maui and drive it around for a few more years, despite the relatively high operating costs. Unless you have to drive from Ka'anapali to Hana every day, you probably won't save much by selling it and getting a newer, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

For the most part, buying a new vehicle in Hawai'i isn't that much more expensive than buying one on the continental U.S. and shipping it here. However, you might have a bit of a problem finding one with all of the options that you might want.
I have to disagree that buying a car on the mainland is comparable to Hawaii. It is common for Hawaii dealers to charge above the MSRP. If you are in Maui, you will be able to ship your car with the new ferries. Check the rates for shipping to Honolulu and see if it's cheaper. We shipped from Oahu to Long Beach for ~$700.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
I have to disagree that buying a car on the mainland is comparable to Hawaii. It is common for Hawaii dealers to charge above the MSRP. If you are in Maui, you will be able to ship your car with the new ferries. Check the rates for shipping to Honolulu and see if it's cheaper. We shipped from Oahu to Long Beach for ~$700.
While I'm sure that we've all had different vehicle purchasing experiences in Hawai'i, I've never paid MSRP or above for any vehicle I've purchased. There's a big difference between a dealer's invoice price, MSRP, and "out-the-door" price. The thing that matters the most is the total amount that one pays to get the vehicle of their choice from the manufacturer to one's driveway.

In general, auto dealers try to maximize their profit per vehicle no matter where they are located. If dealers charge too much for a vehicle, it will probably remain on their lot for a while, unless it's an extremely popular model. Shipping costs, taxes, and dealer profit are the variables that are responsible for any differences in vehicle prices in Hawai'i and other markets. If one knows how to minimize a dealer's profit, a new vehicle in Hawai'i doesn't cost much more than buying one in the continental United States and shipping it to Hawai'i. Here are a few links that might be helpful to those purchasing new vehicles in Hawai'i (and elsewhere)...
CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying
New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site
New Car Prices, Used Car Pricing, Car Reviews by Edmunds Car Buying Guide
Welcome to the Costco Auto Program

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,627 times
Quote:
While I'm sure that we've all had different vehicle purchasing experiences in Hawai'i, I've never paid MSRP or above for any vehicle I've purchased. There's a big difference between a dealer's invoice price, MSRP, and "out-the-door" price. The thing that matters the most is the total amount that one pays to get the vehicle of their choice from the manufacturer to one's driveway.

In general, auto dealers try to maximize their profit per vehicle no matter where they are located. If dealers charge too much for a vehicle, it will probably remain on their lot for a while, unless it's an extremely popular model. Shipping costs, taxes, and dealer profit are the variables that are responsible for any differences in vehicle prices in Hawai'i and other markets. If one knows how to minimize a dealer's profit, a new vehicle in Hawai'i doesn't cost much more than buying one in the continental United States and shipping it to Hawai'i. Here are a few links that might be helpful to those purchasing new vehicles in Hawai'i (and elsewhere)...
CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying
New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site
New Car Prices, Used Car Pricing, Car Reviews by Edmunds Car Buying Guide
Welcome to the Costco Auto Program

Cheers,

Jonah K
It is still higher than mainland due to shipping to Hawaii. This is true for other products in Hawaii as well. I personally have a friend who buys trucks from Oregon and ships them over to Hawaii and sells them at a profit. Take a look at the recycler (mainland ads) and then look at the Honolulu Advertiser and see the difference in price for yourself. True, you can buy lower than the sticker price (the above MSRP price), however, you are at a disadvantage in negotiating when the costs are higher in Hawaii. See how much your car is selling for in Hawaii and you may be able to get a profit off it too. It is an easy process to ship. I think we have shipped with Matson and Sealand. There is another one too. I don't know the name.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
It is still higher than mainland due to shipping to Hawaii. This is true for other products in Hawaii as well. I personally have a friend who buys trucks from Oregon and ships them over to Hawaii and sells them at a profit. Take a look at the recycler (mainland ads) and then look at the Honolulu Advertiser and see the difference in price for yourself. True, you can buy lower than the sticker price (the above MSRP price), however, you are at a disadvantage in negotiating when the costs are higher in Hawaii. See how much your car is selling for in Hawaii and you may be able to get a profit off it too. It is an easy process to ship. I think we have shipped with Matson and Sealand. There is another one too. I don't know the name.

Good luck!
No one in this thread said that vehicles are cheaper in Hawai'i than they are in the continental United States. Car dealers know that many potential customers are ready, willing, and able to ship a vehicle to Hawai'i from another state and savvy folks often use that to their advantage when negotiating. I've shipped several vehicles from California to Hawai'i when local dealers couldn't locate the particular vehicle I wanted in a timely fashion or match offers from out-of-state dealers.

As for other products, the prices for many items in stores like Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Macy's, Costco, Home Depot, and Lowe's aren't much higher in Hawai'i. Groceries, on the other hand (except for fresh fish, chicken, rice, and a few other items), tend to be higher in Hawai'i than in other states.

Speciality used vehicles, like the trucks that your friend ships from Oregon are a different beast altogether.

The main companies that currently ship vehicles to Hawai'i are Matson, Horizon, and Pasha and I've used all of them at one time or another.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,907 times
I have done the research. I have gone to the dealerships on Maui with a firm quote from a mainland dealership and they both laughed in my face. And said, "There is no way we can match that price."

The difference was $2200-$3000 depending on the vehicle and this includes shipping! For reference the vehicls were a Toyota Camry,and a Honda CRV. Two dealerships, same answer. Its not a little bit more expensive for a new car here its A LOT more expensive.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post
I have done the research. I have gone to the dealerships on Maui with a firm quote from a mainland dealership and they both laughed in my face. And said, "There is no way we can match that price."

The difference was $2200-$3000 depending on the vehicle and this includes shipping! For reference the vehicls were a Toyota Camry,and a Honda CRV. Two dealerships, same answer. Its not a little bit more expensive for a new car here its A LOT more expensive.
That's too bad. I bought a Toyota Sienna CE from Big Island Toyota earlier this year and it was only $100 more than the firm quotes I had from Longo Toyota (in El Monte, California), Manhattan Beach Toyota (in California), Toyota of Cerritos (in California), and Kearny Mesa Toyota (in San Diego, California). Servco in Honolulu was willing to match the quotes from the California Toyota dealers; however, they couldn't promise delivery of the vehicle in a timely fashion. The Sienna CE isn't a big seller on the Big Island and I purchased it at the end of the month when the dealership was trying to meet its sales quotas. In addition, I knew the historical and YTD sales figures for the Sienna, the dealer inventories, the current manufacturer-to-dealer incentives, and a few other things that proved helpful in getting a good deal.

Timing, research, and negotiating strategy are crucial in getting the best deals on new vehicles. For the most part, a dealership will always make a profit from a sale. As a consumer, it's up to you to try to minimize that profit.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM

376 posts, read 491,063 times
Quote:
That's too bad. I bought a Toyota Sienna CE from Big Island Toyota earlier this year and it was only $100 more than the firm quotes I had from Longo Toyota (in El Monte, California), Manhattan Beach Toyota (in California), Toyota of Cerritos (in California), and Kearny Mesa Toyota (in San Diego, California). Servco in Honolulu was willing to match the quotes from the California Toyota dealers; however, they couldn't promise delivery of the vehicle in a timely fashion. The Sienna CE isn't a big seller on the Big Island and I purchased it at the end of the month when the dealership was trying to meet its sales quotas. In addition, I knew the historical and YTD sales figures for the Sienna, the dealer inventories, the current manufacturer-to-dealer incentives, and a few other things that proved helpful in getting a good deal.

Timing, research, and negotiating strategy are crucial in getting the best deals on new vehicles. For the most part, a dealership will always make a profit from a sale. As a consumer, it's up to you to try to minimize that profit.

Cheers,

Jonah K
Hey Jonah, where do you get the stats for the sales figures, inventories,etc. I will be buying a car real soon here, and I would love to have that. Thanks, Julie

Old 07-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Hey Jonah, where do you get the stats for the sales figures, inventories,etc. I will be buying a car real soon here, and I would love to have that. Thanks, Julie
For folks that don't have auto industry connections, FightingChance.com is a good place to start. I used to work in management at Toyota's U.S. headquarters before I became an attorney.

Cheers,

Jonah K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: