Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,779,523 times

Advertisements

We have been going to HI every year for the past couple years on vacation. This year we are going to Maui and it's my first time there. Any suggestions on what not to miss? What's the best beaches? We usually rent a condo, any recommendations? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 PM

46 posts, read 1,100,366 times
Default Some of My Favorites...

If you are staying on the Kihei side;

My favorite beaches...

Kamaole 2-3, Keawakapu, and Big Beach. The Kam beaches are good for walking and swimming. Parts of Keawakapu are good for snorkeling as long as you get there early before the wind picks up.

If you are eating out some of my favorites are...

If you want good cheap fish and chips try Eskimo Candy. It is off the beaten path and you get a ton of food for your money. You get 4 pieces of ono with a huge mound of fries and cole slaw for $6.95. Kihei Cafe is a yummy cheap place for breakfast. If nothing else stop in and pick up a cinnamon role.... yum yum.

For the intermediate price range, sansei is the best sushi! The have great early bird and late night specials. They do have a web site that lists all the specials, so google them.

If you want an expensive night out, try DUO at The Four Seasons. It is a newer steak and seafood restaurant and is amazing!! (and for all you locals that may read this they do offer a buy one get one free kamaaina discount).

As far as activities go...

Taking a boat over to Lanai or Molokai for the day are both fun. Trips to Lanai are quicker and there are often stops along the way for snorkeling. The boat to Molokai is a 2 hour each way VERY rocky ferry. If you don't get sea sick, going over there for the day, renting a car and exploring is an amazing experience. Molokai is unlike any of the other islands. It is very underdeveloped and has so much beauty. I am not a big fan of molokini (but a lot of people are) as it is usually very crowded. They pack A LOT of boats into that little crater. I have found some awesome places to snorkel that could be on par with Molokini, like Honolua Bay for example.

The road to Hana and Haleakala are both amazing. They are both LONG but beautiful drives that allow you to view all the diverse micro climates and nature Maui has to offer. Sunrise and sunset are both amazing atop Haleakala.

One huge word of advice though... DO NOT DO A BIKE TOUR DOWN HALEAKALA!!!!! 5 years ago (before I moved here), while on vacation, I did that bike tour with a friend and her family. Unfortunately the company (Mountain Riders) was disorganized and unsafe and my friend's dad ended up losing control of his bike, went over a cliff and was killed instantly. We were going way too fast as they were trying to rush us down the hill. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced....

So sorry to end on a bad note... But hopefully that gave you some good ideas!!

If you have anymore questions let me know!!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:56 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Second you, LovinMaui, on the Molokai day trip...even an overnight if the timing works out. It is a different experience than anything you will get on the more populated islands. So quiet and peaceful at night...When I did the trip with a few girlfriends from my teaching days, we flew in from Oahu stayed two nights, then took the ferry to Maui. The trip was great...beautiful, and there was a group of divers who boarded with us and made the trip so much fun!!

On Maui, so much to do! Road to Hana is a must--leave youself plenty of time. It's not as much fun if you feel rushed. Have lunch at the Hana Hotel just for the experience of it. Explore the West Maui mts. Again, don't leave yourself in a time-crunch...you will need to be able to relax and let the trip unfold because the drive is challenging.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Default Wailea Condos

We visit Maui every year for a few weeks and always stay at Ekahi condos in Wailea. If you search Ekahi on the net you can find the rentals. Right on the beach (Keawakapu) beautiful landscaping and pools.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 50,898 times
I must disagree on the recommendation to avoid the Haleakala bike trip. I forget the name of the group we went with, but they were professional with good equipment. Don't go with the cheapest group you can find. My family of 4 did the trip last year. They had the group aligned from lightest person in the lead to heaviest at the back, so my daughter led. We only went as fast as she was comfortable with. I would warn against someone not VERY comfortable on a bike trying to do the trip, however.

Another great experience was golfing at Kapalua. We got a reasonable rate by getting a 2pm or later tee time, and we got decent rental clubs delivered to our condo through the concierge.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtinctBird View Post
I must disagree on the recommendation to avoid the Haleakala bike trip. I forget the name of the group we went with, but they were professional with good equipment. Don't go with the cheapest group you can find. My family of 4 did the trip last year. They had the group aligned from lightest person in the lead to heaviest at the back, so my daughter led. We only went as fast as she was comfortable with. I would warn against someone not VERY comfortable on a bike trying to do the trip, however.
Well I am sure you can understand my not wanting to do the trip again or recommend it as I watched someone loose their life because of it. Your family was lucky....

You can read about it if you like....

California biker dies on Haleakala downhill run - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

Actually there have been multiple deaths and serious injuries on that bike ride, and I believe there is a group that is fighting to get those bike companies shut down.

The worst part is that if you do have an accident it takes paramedics about an hour to get up that mountain...

So there is my perspective... I will never do the bike ride again, nor will I recommend it to anyone. Save your money and life...

Going up to Haleakala can be amazing... If I was to spend a day up there I would drive up and hike into the crater. Most people seem to just drive up there, snap some pictures and head back down the mountain. Hanging out for a while and exploring is so amazing and unlike anything you will ever experience. And you must catch either sunrise or sunset up there, you feel like you are on top of the world...

Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Condos...

One more tip for you, this time on renting a condo... Check out timeshares. Owners a lot of the time don't get around to using them and post their weeks online for a discounted rate for people to use. I believe Timeshare Rentals, Timeshare Resales, Timeshare Ratings, and Timeshare Reviews - RedWeek.com is one of the better sites to find rentals. Ebay is also a good place to look. A lot of the time you can get a really great condo for next to nothing as the owner just wants to find someone to use their week and get some money out of it. Timeshares are a use it or lose it type of business.

My parents own a 2 bd/2 ba (10 feet from the ocean) timeshare on Maui and when they can't use it they list it. They usually just charge the amount of the maintenance fees for the year which is typically about $1000. That way someone gets a great deal and they don't lose any money!

Maybe worth looking into...

Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,779,523 times
Thank you to everyone that posted. I'll read about everything that was said and make my plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui