Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 17,272 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask these questions, but we will be vacationing on Maui next week and was wondering what to pack? What the weathers like in Wailea? Is it basically a casual dress place? Thanks for your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
If you were on a cruise ship, it would be "resort casual" and not "formal". Nobody in Hawaii dresses in mainland formal but they do like the resort sort of wear. Loose flowing fabric and styles, no need for expensive dressy high heels but nice sandals will do. The closest to mainland dressup folks get is when they are going out at night drinking or dancing. Even then, though, nylons are rarely worn since they are so uncomfortable. There will be places to get sundresses and resort casual wear out here so you can pack lightly and buy things to wear here to take back for summer wear on the mainland. Comfortable walking shoes is probably the most important thing to pack.

Given a choice most folks around here choose natural fabrics. Cotton, silk, linen, etc., are much more comfortable to wear than any sort of synthetic, especially polyester. Also looser clothing is more comfortable. A mainland friend came over and she was wearing her usual stylish mainland bluejeans that were the "painted on" variety. She about died of heatstroke since they are too tight to allow ventilation and the half polyester which allowed them to stretch didn't allow the fabric to breathe. A pair of woven silk palazzo pants and she cooled right off.

Accessories aren't all that important here, either. A Coach bag isn't seen as a status symbol, but as a "mainland" thing. Some jewelry is worn, but not usually a lot and most of it is informal and casual jewelry. Beads instead of pearls, that sort of thing. Not a lot of leather goods over here since more than likely they would mildew pretty soon. On vacation it won't be a problem, though, unless your vacation is over three or four months long. But that's one reason why leather goods aren't all that popular around here.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 PM

499 posts, read 2,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linco711 View Post
Hi,
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask these questions, but we will be vacationing on Maui next week and was wondering what to pack? What the weathers like in Wailea? Is it basically a casual dress place? Thanks for your help in advance
The weather is warm, breezy and always the welcome possibilty of a little rain.
Pack loose dresses for the ladies, short sleeves and shorts for the day, light pants for evenings. For the beach and being touristy around Lahaina, if you don't already have a pair of slippers, you can grab a pair at about any drug store or market around for a couple bucks.

Have a great time!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Thank you for your very helpful information! We are going to take the Hana picnic tour. Do you happen to know what clothing would be appropriate for that? I know it's casual, and the picnic is on the beach..I was just wondering if it was cooler up there and wondered if a sweater or jacket would be necessary?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:31 PM

820 posts, read 3,042,750 times
Hana is at sea level, so I'm guessing by "up" you mean north of Wailea. It is the wetter side of the island, you are more likely to get rain there than Wailea. But summer rain is warm, not cold/windy.

Yesterday it rained up (really up) in Makawao, and down in Paia. It's the kind of rain that you can walk around in, getting wet but not cold.

It's hot here, and as hotzcatz said, jeans are going to be too warm for this time of year. Shorts & capris are my recommendation, as long as you remember to wear sunscreen.

You should bring a light jacket if you plan to go on any dinner cruises, or actually also if you go somewhere that they have the AC cranked up really high. Movie theaters here seem cold to me.

Most people overpack, and end up wearing the same clothing for most of their trip. Layers are good - shorts and a tank top, with a short sleeve button front shirt that can be layered over if your shoulders get too pink.

Hiking shoes & socks if you plan to hike around up on Haleakala (volcano). Or tennis shoes for wearing on the plane and then for walking around on lava.

A couple of swimsuits, if only to change your tan lines around. Sunglasses for sure, and a hat if you don't want to burn your scalp at the part, or if anyone has thinning hair.

Many visitors wear swimsuits into restaurants, and that's generally fine for casual places, if you have a shirt and wrap or skirt or shorts to put on over. Guys wear board shorts as their shorts all the time, but eating places might need them to wear a shirt too. Nicer restaurants of course, you'd want to wear real clothes.

As noted, you can buy clothing here if you find you don't have what you want, but then you had better make sure your suitcase isn't packed already overstuffed.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,907,374 times
You might want a waterproof jacket for the Hana tour. Not for the temperature, but more in case it rains along the way. (A good bit of the road is through rainforest.) Comfortable, sturdy shoes (hiking shoes, athletic sandals, or watersport shoes) are also good if you're planning to do the falls along the way.

Agree with other posters that Hawai'i is generally more casual than resort areas on the mainland. That said, Wailea is a bit "dressier" than Kihei or Lahaina/Ka'anapali -- especially the Four Seasons and Kea Lani resort restaurants. Cruisewear or "resort casual" is fine, but don't be surprised to see women in nice designer dresses and men in silk or linen shirts and pants. (Or shorts, depending upon the time of day.)

Some friends of my inlaws were just here (Maui) and on neighbor isles on a cruise. They said they didn't wear half of what they'd brought -- it was "too dressy." Especially agree with "hotzcatz" about the denim -- I am always surprised to see as much as I do, given how hot it is. You will be fine/comfortable in most restaurants in shorts, but there are a few where others will be better-dressed. A lot depends upon your personal style and tastes, of course.

Have a great trip and e komo mai.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:52 PM

9,339 posts, read 16,724,934 times
We visit Maui every year and pack VERY light. Shorts, tops, capri pants, flip flops, bathing suits, light jacket. That's it. You can pick up some nice light loose dresses and tops at Rainbow Jo, I think they still have a store in Kihei (217 Halona St Kihei, HI 96753). Weather is warm at this time of the year although hopefully you will have the trade winds to cool you.

I always say I can be ready to go to Maui in about 15 minutes (and we stay for two months!) Enjoy! It's a beautiful place with beautiful people.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Thank you all for the great tips....you are all so very helpful!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 51,427 times
You are very welcome

Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,611,100 times
My wife and her friend took a "girl's trip" to HNL a couple years back. She was of the opinion that wearing black, and dressing with a lot of jewelry (as was her custom) made her friend really stand out as a tourist.

I don't know how important that is to you, but wearing a lot of black is definitely uncomfortable in the daytime. And as with most vacations, leave the jewelry home (but buy some from a local artist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui