Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 41,242 times

Advertisements

Satchs - I too am attempting to relocate to Lanai and I am finding a hard time getting information about housing, save for the multi-million dollar MLS listings LOL. I was wondering if you found other information elsewhere that you might relay to me here. I am trying to get onboard at one of the resorts and everything I read (what little I can find) about the Island sounds absolutely fabulous. I have lived in some pretty remote areas and small communities. This place sounds pretty intriguing though as there is no SNOW there, lol. Last 7 winters have been spent in places where the weather dictates ones ability to get supplies so the prospect of a Ferry schedule setting the limits sounds darn good.

I would really like to hear from folks that have, or do, live there too. I am really interested about how to find out about rentals there ... or do the resorts provide housing for their employees? Is there separate housing for seasonal/entry level and managment employees ... stuff like that. Are pets allowed, and is there a quarantine process to bring a pet from teh mainland to the islands.

I have lived in Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and now RURAL Ohio without a car for many years ... all a couple hours drive to town and seemed to manage so this place sounds just about perfect.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
There is quarantine to bring animals into Hawaii, it has been well documented on this and other forums about Hawaii. Check the Hawaii state quarantine website for the myriad details and follow them strictly. It's long, time consuming and expensive.

There aren't many seasons on Hawaii, really. A small blip for holiday retail sales is about it. There are only three hotels on Lanai and two of them are run by the Four Seasons folks. (Although why a "Four" Seasons company would be in a place without all four seasons, one wonders.) Call them up and ask them about employment and housing. It would be a lot more direct.

Hotel Lanai | Lodging in the heart of Lanai City
Four Seasons Resort Hawaii, Lana'i at Manele Bay - Luxury Resort in Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hawaii, Lana

Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Himmel View Post
Satchs - I too am attempting to relocate to Lanai and I am finding a hard time getting information about housing, save for the multi-million dollar MLS listings LOL. I was wondering if you found other information elsewhere that you might relay to me here. I am trying to get onboard at one of the resorts and everything I read (what little I can find) about the Island sounds absolutely fabulous. I have lived in some pretty remote areas and small communities. This place sounds pretty intriguing though as there is no SNOW there, lol. Last 7 winters have been spent in places where the weather dictates ones ability to get supplies so the prospect of a Ferry schedule setting the limits sounds darn good.

I would really like to hear from folks that have, or do, live there too. I am really interested about how to find out about rentals there ... or do the resorts provide housing for their employees? Is there separate housing for seasonal/entry level and managment employees ... stuff like that. Are pets allowed, and is there a quarantine process to bring a pet from teh mainland to the islands.

I have lived in Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and now RURAL Ohio without a car for many years ... all a couple hours drive to town and seemed to manage so this place sounds just about perfect.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I lived in Yellowstone for 6 months. You can get to Bozeman in 1 hour.... totally different from being on an isolated low population island in an isolated island chain.

My friend and his fiancee just moved back to Maui from the Big Island because she's doing research on Lanai. There's a reason she didn't move to Lanai and is instead taking the ferry.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Call them up and ask them about employment and housing. It would be a lot more direct.
Indeed, however sometimes little details are somewhat overlooked or understated, especially from a housing perspective. The vested interest in obtaining employees can 'skew' the objective lense through which they view the housing options.

Thanks for the info about the pets - I did see that on other posts after I asked and looked into it. Wow. I suppose there is a need to be careful when dealing with such a special place. Makes sence to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I lived in Yellowstone for 6 months. You can get to Bozeman in 1 hour.... totally different from being on an isolated low population island in an isolated island chain.
If you have a vehicle, sure, in summer, traffic aside, in the daylight an hour will work. In winter .. not so much, LOL. I was there for about a year without a vehicle, I only made it Bozo a few times. The isolation sounds like one of the biggest draws not a downfall. As long as I have a mailstop and an internet connection I dont seem to mind remote living. Figure if I can get to Honoapiilani and Safeway with my backpack t ostock up on food, it will be easier than Bozo, Flagstaff or Fresno were ... especially not having to hitch hike and having the Ferry to take me.

Please understand, I am not outright discounting your warning. I understand that most people would NOT enjoy living in such a place due to the lack of proximity to 'civilization' and their susceptibility to Island Fever. I consider these benefits.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,853 times
Quote:
Figure if I can get to Honoapiilani and Safeway with my backpack t ostock up on food, it will be easier than Bozo, Flagstaff or Fresno were ... especially not having to hitch hike and having the Ferry to take me.

Please understand, I am not outright discounting your warning. I understand that most people would NOT enjoy living in such a place due to the lack of proximity to 'civilization' and their susceptibility to Island Fever. I consider these benefits.
I like your style, and you sound like the kind of person who would understand and enjoy Lanai.

Yes, you can take the ferry to Maui, then catch Maui Bus to several locations all over Maui to do your shopping. I'm not sure a backpack's worth is considered "stocking up", but it would get you something. You can always take more on the ferry ride, just be aware the Bus has limits on the amount you can haul on board. I would suppose a few bags are OK, but luggage and wheeled carts are definitely out.

You will probably end up making friends on the islands, and then a friend from Maui could meet you at the harbor and run you around for a few errands.

I asked around, and folks around here (on Maui) say the Lanai hotels do not offer employee housing nor subsidize unless you are upper management. Very upper. Suggestions were that you should call a couple of the Lanai real estate agents, who can point you to rental information. In general, there just isn't a lot of development on Lanai, so it isn't as though there are a lot of places on the market at any given time. Finding a place to rent is best done via someone who is there, as they will hear about a room or ohana opening up and can get you a name and number.

Any way you can get over to Lanai for a visit? People will be far more likely to spend time helping you if you are known to them face to face. You can imagine (just read this forum) how many people make a certain amount of effort in considering a move, then never do it.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Quote:
Indeed, however sometimes little details are somewhat overlooked or understated, especially from a housing perspective. The vested interest in obtaining employees can 'skew' the objective lense through which they view the housing options.

Thanks for the info about the pets - I did see that on other posts after I asked and looked into it. Wow. I suppose there is a need to be careful when dealing with such a special place. Makes sence to me.

If you have a vehicle, sure, in summer, traffic aside, in the daylight an hour will work. In winter .. not so much, LOL. I was there for about a year without a vehicle, I only made it Bozo a few times. The isolation sounds like one of the biggest draws not a downfall. As long as I have a mailstop and an internet connection I dont seem to mind remote living. Figure if I can get to Honoapiilani and Safeway with my backpack t ostock up on food, it will be easier than Bozo, Flagstaff or Fresno were ... especially not having to hitch hike and having the Ferry to take me.

But what is the actual draw of Lanai? Being remote isn't an actual positive quality, beyond a certain point. You could live on Maui in a secluded place and never see another person for months.

In Yellowstone you have a huge wilderness around you to explore. Lanai... You have the beach, and some terrain. And there are a lot more people in close proximity, it's just that they're as isolated as you are.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
I like your style, and you sound like the kind of person who would understand and enjoy Lanai.

Yes, you can take the ferry to Maui, then catch Maui Bus to several locations all over Maui to do your shopping. I'm not sure a backpack's worth is considered "stocking up", but it would get you something ... Any way you can get over to Lanai for a visit? People will be far more likely to spend time helping you if you are known to them face to face. You can imagine (just read this forum) how many people make a certain amount of effort in considering a move, then never do it.
Thank you for the compliment, I would like to think so too. I was thinking more along the lines of my backpacking pack (room allowances being taken for granted). I am sure I can get a few weeks worth of canned goods in it, for meat I would be at the mercy of the local grocers ... but I have read that they are adequate. Not great, not cheap, not always stocked but adequate. As far as getting there for a tour .. prbably not. The funds I am dealing with are kind of a one shot thing. I would come with my minimal bags and then send for my things by post .. I travel/live light so I am not too worried about not having all my stuff with me at first. I can pretty much put all my stuff (mostly clothes, LOL) into a half a dozen boxes or so ... and if it wont fit - throw it out or stop by goodwill on the way out of town; I am sure there is a half a goodwill worth of my old stuff out there somewhere. I am hopeful (due to the lack of occupancy) that if I can come to terms with the resort maybe I can shack up there while I find something more permanent although Im not buying some 800k house. Who knows ... all I need is a shack with a bed, stove, sink and shower ... with enough space to garden (Crud ... I need to look into what non-native plants are banned, if any huh).

I totally understand the face to face aspect of it ... it was the same in areas in MT by YNP but like I said I got a certain amount of funds and I know - and Lanai is not unique by any stretch of an unending imagination here - gotta make sure you can mount an escape if you have to. But that is how I kind of like to go about it. I have moved thousands of miles away, site unseen and future unknown many times ... par for the course I suppose.

Thanks for the information and advise. I do appreciate it a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
But what is the actual draw of Lanai? Being remote isn't an actual positive quality, beyond a certain point. You could live on Maui in a secluded place and never see another person for months.

In Yellowstone you have a huge wilderness around you to explore. Lanai... You have the beach, and some terrain. And there are a lot more people in close proximity, it's just that they're as isolated as you are.
There are several draws ... the seclusion is right up there among them. I enjoy living in areas, like the parks, where the tourists out number the locals. Where you get to be an embassador of a special place whether youre wearing a name tag or not. I will stop and chat for hours with people who may only get to come to a special place once in their lives ... and if it adds, even a little bit, to their experience I totally get a thrill out of that. I just like that kind of small world living .. show me a picture of the Merced in the Valley in Yosemite and Ill tell you where you are .. where the closest log to sit on is .... and where the brown trout were hiding while I was there. I want to find a new place to get to know and, pardon my symbols, I am tired of freezing my a#% off every winter. I know that Yellowstone is closer to the size of the big Island .. but from what I have read it sounds like a fit for me.

The other reason is work. I have looked into resorts on the other Islands too, the Hana area (despite the No Hawaiian No Aloha stickers I remember there) in particular but for what I do, accounts, the work is not there. I understand the hospitality industry is tight all over but they arent going to lay off accounting personel before housekeepers. It is about as stable as you can get in that industry.

Thank you for your candor as well, I do appreciate it equally. I have lived in parks for over 7 years now ... and I honestly dont know many people that I personally would recommend it to. It is not for everyone, and when people ask me about it I tell them that. Best years of my life, so far, but certainly not for everyone. I am like you, blunt bordering on dissuading.

I do not expect life on Lanai to be a Jack Johnson song ... I want to work and play, explore and fish, meet new people and make old friends.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Lanai is a great small rural island. You might like it if you enjoy the rural lifestyle. The pros is that you can enjoy the beaches and take small trips to the neighbor islands for some cultural excursions or spoil yourself with urban accommodation/luxuries. I would say some of the comments so far are about 30% accurate and the rest just assumptions based on again, superficial observations.

The 30% accuracy doesn't tell the real story though, its just bits and pieces. If you are willing to adjust to the cultural influences of Asian & Pacific nuances like "humility" being THE state of mind, and people who would tend to shut up rather than to speak out, then you might fit in. I think that once you get over the external differences, you'll recognize the internal similarities of the mindset of those that live rural lifestyles. There are a large infusion of Filipino immigrants, probably came to work in fields, but Lanai Company shut down all pineapple and sugarcane operations. But most are generation after generation born and raised with a few maindland transplants. There are educated and rich maindlanders who have multi-million dollar second homes reside there, so you'll feel the weirdness of the juxtaposition of poor people living under quaint plantation homes with corrugated metal roofs just down the street of rich folks driving around in their shinny beamers and hummers.

The island is generally shaped like a Hershey's kiss, where the top-middle is the city, very cool, damp, cloudy upcountry atmosphere with norfolk pine trees everywhere. A 20 minute drive down to Manele bay beach, where it is hot and dry, you can take a swim with the spinning dolphins, with more million dollar homes overlooking you. There are trails to go off roading to secluded beaches to camp, swim, shore fish and hunt deer and wild game.

Infrastructure is excellent, fresh water, electricity and cable all serviced under Maui County. Gas is probably like $6 a gal. Get a pure electric car like the Volt, from Maui or Oahu and ship/ferry it over. Grocery shopping is best done by taking car on the ferry to Maui and buying in bulk at Costco. For medical/dental services best to fly to Honolulu for the best care. The smarter educated people that live on island do this, the lazy ignorant ones take whatever services they can get on island. Purchases are done mostly online and FEDEX'ed to your home.

Also there are no traffic lights and the entire city shuts down by sundown.
As for education, kids who graduate from Lanai High typically would go live with relatives on Honolulu and go to school at one of the community colleges or at the University. These youngsters come across the dilemma of whether to return to rural Lanai to be with their folks and childhood friends or wheter to venture into modern urban lifestyle of Honolulu or maybe even the maindland.
Assume for a moment I live on Lanai and cannot afford to go to Honolulu for medical/dental care. Which am I, lazy or ignorant?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:20 PM

Arent flights to Oahu pretty cheap from Lanai ... just a superficial google search and I see $39 (I dont belive that one) to $131.

I suppose if I cant afford the flight, how on earth am I gonna pay for the dentistry?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
Quote:
Thank you for the compliment, I would like to think so too. I was thinking more along the lines of my backpacking pack (room allowances being taken for granted). I am sure I can get a few weeks worth of canned goods in it, for meat I would be at the mercy of the local grocers ... but I have read that they are adequate. Not great, not cheap, not always stocked but adequate. As far as getting there for a tour .. prbably not. The funds I am dealing with are kind of a one shot thing. I would come with my minimal bags and then send for my things by post .. I travel/live light so I am not too worried about not having all my stuff with me at first. I can pretty much put all my stuff (mostly clothes, LOL) into a half a dozen boxes or so ... and if it wont fit - throw it out or stop by goodwill on the way out of town; I am sure there is a half a goodwill worth of my old stuff out there somewhere. I am hopeful (due to the lack of occupancy) that if I can come to terms with the resort maybe I can shack up there while I find something more permanent although Im not buying some 800k house. Who knows ... all I need is a shack with a bed, stove, sink and shower ... with enough space to garden (Crud ... I need to look into what non-native plants are banned, if any huh).

I totally understand the face to face aspect of it ... it was the same in areas in MT by YNP but like I said I got a certain amount of funds and I know - and Lanai is not unique by any stretch of an unending imagination here - gotta make sure you can mount an escape if you have to. But that is how I kind of like to go about it. I have moved thousands of miles away, site unseen and future unknown many times ... par for the course I suppose.

Thanks for the information and advise. I do appreciate it a bunch.

There are several draws ... the seclusion is right up there among them. I enjoy living in areas, like the parks, where the tourists out number the locals. Where you get to be an embassador of a special place whether youre wearing a name tag or not. I will stop and chat for hours with people who may only get to come to a special place once in their lives ... and if it adds, even a little bit, to their experience I totally get a thrill out of that. I just like that kind of small world living .. show me a picture of the Merced in the Valley in Yosemite and Ill tell you where you are .. where the closest log to sit on is .... and where the brown trout were hiding while I was there. I want to find a new place to get to know and, pardon my symbols, I am tired of freezing my a#% off every winter. I know that Yellowstone is closer to the size of the big Island .. but from what I have read it sounds like a fit for me.

The other reason is work. I have looked into resorts on the other Islands too, the Hana area (despite the No Hawaiian No Aloha stickers I remember there) in particular but for what I do, accounts, the work is not there. I understand the hospitality industry is tight all over but they arent going to lay off accounting personel before housekeepers. It is about as stable as you can get in that industry.

Thank you for your candor as well, I do appreciate it equally. I have lived in parks for over 7 years now ... and I honestly dont know many people that I personally would recommend it to. It is not for everyone, and when people ask me about it I tell them that. Best years of my life, so far, but certainly not for everyone. I am like you, blunt bordering on dissuading.

I do not expect life on Lanai to be a Jack Johnson song ... I want to work and play, explore and fish, meet new people and make old friends.
J, I do wish you the best of luck. I think you should come to hawaii, just be sure you have enough in the bank to get home in case lanai doesn't work out. I would also strongly suggest you keep some of the other islands in mind as well, you maybe more limited on lanai than you know or can truly understand until you spend time there.

do you have any communications with the human resource dept. of the hotels on lanai? do you know if there is an opening for you and would they give it to you (an outsider) over a life long resident of lanai or the "aunty" of someone who already works at the hotel? working for a hotel can be stable but the industry here has been laying off and cutting back people for years now. the resorts don't have "lots" of employees, just what they need. this is especially true on lanai. most people in hawaii especially locals work a job for decades. if you get lucky to get a job and things get tighter it will be the newcomer that gets laid off before the ohana or employee who has been on the job for years and years.

does coming to terms with the resort mean getting a job there? unless you are top tier management you will not be getting a housing allowance nor would any hotel allow you to "shack up there" especially not the world class quality hotels they have on lanai. the other consideration is the paycheck, budget into your living expenses the ferry costs and the time devoted to the crossing it takes, unless you can be content with what is on island.

your desire to respect the culture and spread aloha is admiral and you would do well in the islands. if you need to work than it is about "possibilities" of employment. you will increase your odds of finding a place to be with more opportunity if you expand your horizons. instead of three hotels on lanai for example maui has a hundred or so on for the other islands. no you may not get the solitude of lanai but as another has posted you can find a pace on any island that feels far removed.

good luck, have a black up plan if you want to hang out in the islands for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui