Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Himmel View Post
Arent flights to Oahu pretty cheap from Lanai ... just a superficial google search and I see $39 (I dont belive that one) to $131.

I suppose if I cant afford the flight, how on earth am I gonna pay for the dentistry?
we haven't seen 39$ fair for years and years. with oil as it is I doubt we will for quite some time either. ball park it and say 115 each way. if I remember right there is two dentists on lanai and I am sure a doc or two as well as some nurses. they do have a clinic last I checked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
Go! Airlines has a $59 rate from Lanai to Oahu right now, and they have been known to run specials for $39. I thought Go! went into bankruptcy, but they have been advertising like crazy recently.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 41,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
J, I do wish you the best of luck. I think you should come to hawaii, just be sure you have enough in the bank to get home in case lanai doesn't work out. I would also strongly suggest you keep some of the other islands in mind as well, you maybe more limited on lanai than you know or can truly understand until you spend time there.

do you have any communications with the human resource dept. of the hotels on lanai? do you know if there is an opening for you and would they give it to you (an outsider) over a life long resident of lanai or the "aunty" of someone who already works at the hotel? working for a hotel can be stable but the industry here has been laying off and cutting back people for years now. the resorts don't have "lots" of employees, just what they need. this is especially true on lanai. most people in hawaii especially locals work a job for decades. if you get lucky to get a job and things get tighter it will be the newcomer that gets laid off before the ohana or employee who has been on the job for years and years.

does coming to terms with the resort mean getting a job there? unless you are top tier management you will not be getting a housing allowance nor would any hotel allow you to "shack up there" especially not the world class quality hotels they have on lanai. the other consideration is the paycheck, budget into your living expenses the ferry costs and the time devoted to the crossing it takes, unless you can be content with what is on island.

your desire to respect the culture and spread aloha is admiral and you would do well in the islands. if you need to work than it is about "possibilities" of employment. you will increase your odds of finding a place to be with more opportunity if you expand your horizons. instead of three hotels on lanai for example maui has a hundred or so on for the other islands. no you may not get the solitude of lanai but as another has posted you can find a pace on any island that feels far removed.

good luck, have a black up plan if you want to hang out in the islands for awhile.
Great advise, and thanks for it - for sure. I am currently talking with one of the resorts there. The job has been open for a while so I am thinking that due to the nature of the position ... and like so many have pointed out here the general 'downfalls' of living on that particular island ... they are considering outsiders.

I am absolutely open to other islands however with them come all kinds of other expenses I would rather midigate. Car, insurance, gas ... all those fun city-living things, you know?

I know that there, like so many other places, the service side of the job market has declined with the occupancy rates. That, again, is one of the bonuses with accounts. It really does not matter if you're counting a jar of beans or a boat-load ... gotta have the bean counter to do it right, LOL.

Although one draw back is that Marty Dread is no longer headliner at the Hard Rock accross the bay on Maui .

I have looked, and I am still looking, for a descent accounting job on the other Islands. If Lanai does not work out, I will be back here to track some of you down (not in a creepy online stalker way though) to invite you over for some Weber and an adult soda on another Island.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
best of luck, just FYI you can get by with a bike on maui you just need to keep a smaller radius for your needs, same thing the other islands as well.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
I totally forgot to mention that you can camp on Lanai at Hulopoe Beach Park. There are fees ($30 permit + $10/night), but fairly priced, with bathrooms and beach shower. Plus the Four Seasons right next door has a stand where you can sneak some free lemonade.

So if you get to Lanai and don't have a place to rent immediately, camp out for a few days while you make contacts. The caretakers won't let you stay for an extended time, only fair since the camping is limited and not intended as a residence, but you can pitch a tent and be very comfortable there. I think the limit is 3 days, maybe you can find a place to stay by then.

It's just a short walk from the ferry. Incredibly beautiful camping site, dolphins in the bay, shaded areas... you would love it.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
I met one of the manager for a dept at one of the resort and he said that Lanai always had a shortage of job and there was always more people than job. When the resorts open, just about anyone wanting work could find some. Some job did require skill or expeinece not available locally so they hire off island or fromt he mainland. They still have some jobs that are hard to fill or keep a person because Lanai is so small a community.

the other thing he said was that because both resorts are under the same hiring, you may work a couple weeks at the golf resort and if booking are slow, they may send you to the beach resort if they need people. That means that although there are two resorts, they pool some jobs so they dont need as many individuals. This also keeps turn over lower because you can get good hours if you can ravel. This he said can be a problem because you have to be able to get from Lanai City if you work the golf resort to the beach resort if thats where the employment is.

One thing i say about Lanai is unlike most similar size small towns on t he mainland, you are still semi isolated and just hopping in the car and driving to a bigger city takes some planning. You also have to time your needs because if you run out of something or need something special, don;t count on having ez access to it.

Another drawback is the community is small which means your dealing with the same people all the time with no escape. Tourist to the resorts spend the less amount of time outside the resorts of all the islands.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 AM

246 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Assume for a moment I live on Lanai and cannot afford to go to Honolulu for medical/dental care. Which am I, lazy or ignorant?
Why choose one when you can be both? Add uneducated and poo-ass broke to it. Mmm-humm, why is it that I am providing advice to help others, and you are not? Yeah thats the ALOHA SPIRIT.

I think you are just another NIMBY. Not In My Back Yard, and just to let you know, there are millions upon millions of NIMBY's in Hawaii and across this entire planet.

What do you offer in this forum, other than the same retoric?!?!?!?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Why ... retoric?!?!?!?
Thank you.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM

101 posts, read 249,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
For medical/dental services best to fly to Honolulu for the best care. The smarter educated people that live on island do this, the lazy ignorant ones take whatever services they can get on island.
I am with Aloha Huey. I find this statement to be VERY offensive. The fact that someone can't afford to fly off island for medical care makes them poor. NOT lazy or ignorant. I know a hell of a lot more lazy and ignorant people with money than I do poor ones. It takes a LOT more work to survive while poor than it does being rich.

I'd rather be poor and honest than pompous and judgmental any day.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
It takes a LOT more work to survive while poor than it does being rich.

I'd rather be poor and honest than pompous and judgmental any day.
Brilliant!!

Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui