Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 AM

73 posts, read 172,950 times

Advertisements

We have a horse, two dogs and two cats and we are STILL very serious about relocating from soggy and gray Bellingham, Wa to Maui. We know the process for the dogs and cats, but (and I realize it's a longshot), does anyone have any knowledge about the process of moving a 1200 lb horse ?

I kind of have a mini-panic attack just thinking about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,424,190 times
Post I do...

Aloha...we moved to Hawaii three years ago from Enumclaw, WA w/two dogs and, sadly, after much research we opted to leave our DWB behind. What we found was that he would have had to be transported to So. CA, spend time in quarantine there, then either barge ($$$) or fly($$$$$$$$$$) to Honolulu for further quarantine and then continue his journey to his final destination. He was 16 y/o and we feared it may have been too much for him, as sound as he was. Boarding would have been horrific. even after looking for a suitable facility on the Big Island (Kona side) fees were off the chart. We feel we made the right decision even though he was a huge part of our lives. I don't have any resources for you, I'm sorry. There are several wonderful facilities on Maui that could probably lead you in the right direction for transporters etc. 'Maui Fresians' would be a good start. If Egberts is still operating in the Seattle area, they would be my recommendation for the initial transport to So. CA.
Much aloha...keep us posted, OK?
Koale

Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

73 posts, read 172,950 times
Default Kind of what I thought

Thanks Koale,
I was afraid of that. I actually just got this horse; she is four and very emotionally sound, but I still think it would be too hard on her. I'm not giving up entirely, but am really thinking that either the horse has to go back to her owner, or the move to Maui needs to not happen. Either option pretty much blows!

I'm sorry you had to leave your guy behind - I'm sure that was heart-wrenching and I can almost feel the sadness in your post.

I'll post again once we've decided - but if anyone has any info. at all I'd sure love to hear it!

Mahalo

~Lori

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM

820 posts, read 3,040,902 times
Saw this link in another thread:
Welcome to Pacific Airlift

Don't know anything about them, so can't vouch one way or the other.

I'd suggest you call a couple of ranches here on Maui and ask their advice. Can't be that all the horses are born here; there must be trusted transporters.

Just Google: maui horse ranch
and you'll get several results. Pick up the phone and make some friends. Either way, whether you move your horse or not, it will be good to get to know other horse folk here.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,450,961 times
thanks you for the info on the horse flight's to the island it something to think about

Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,702 times
nice great ,,,..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui