Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 38,772 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anyone moved to Maui lately that had Bank of America on the mainland? I'm just curious to see what you did - if you switched or stayed with BoA but banked remotely.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Yes, I had BOA and switched to Bank of Hawaii. I might have banked remotely but I didn't have my checkbook, which I needed to pay rent. But besides that, BOA is an unethical company, while BOH is considered one of the best banks in the country.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 AM

150 posts, read 415,594 times
Did the same as wink when we moved. And true about BOH's rep.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I third that BoA is an unethical company.

I never knew I could have so many problems just by attaining a credit card from a company like that before.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 AM

18 posts, read 56,603 times
Slightly off topic, buuut I'm truly curious...

What are the reasons the average person continues to use these major banks such as BofA, etc.? After several weird experiences with both BofA and Chase, I decided to close all my accounts and bank exclusively with a local credit union. Lo and behold I discovered they do pretty much everything the other guys did but without needing to refer to a fee schedule every time I need anything. Even more fascinating, after a few trips in there, they managed to remember my name and demonstrate a genuine appreciation for me coming to visit. Seriously.

So what are the big guys are offering that is so essential? I feel like I'm missing something.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mutt View Post
Slightly off topic, buuut I'm truly curious...

What are the reasons the average person continues to use these major banks such as BofA, etc.? After several weird experiences with both BofA and Chase, I decided to close all my accounts and bank exclusively with a local credit union. Lo and behold I discovered they do pretty much everything the other guys did but without needing to refer to a fee schedule every time I need anything. Even more fascinating, after a few trips in there, they managed to remember my name and demonstrate a genuine appreciation for me coming to visit. Seriously.

So what are the big guys are offering that is so essential? I feel like I'm missing something.
I don't know if Fidelity is a "big bank" - but I kept them when I moved to Hawaii. Free Checking, pays interest, reimbured ATM fees, free electronic bill pay - and when I need to deposit a check I just snap the image with my phone. I kept the accout for the above reasons but it makes it easy to move money between the brokerage and checking accounts.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 26,615 times
Even more fascinating, after a few trips in there, they managed to remember my name and demonstrate a genuine appreciation for me coming to visit. Seriously. http://www.depin.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
You can open a Bank of Hawai'i account online. I recommend you get that ball rolling well before you leave the mainland, because it can take 10 days for them to clear a mainland check if your account is less than 30 days old. BoH also has the closest service level to what you're used to on the mainland, including smartphone app. All the other local banks are kind of hick by comparison.

Ditto what was said earlier... BoH is rated #1 bank in the country, whereas BofA is on the 10 Most Hated Companies list.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,401 times
I use First Hawaiian because they seemed to have more branches in every little town, at least on Kaua'i. I've never had any problems with them, they remembered my name at the local branch, even when I hadn't been in for 2 years! Only gripe is there ATM machines are old. I would say they are a close second to BOH--an ATM is sometimes called a BankOH machine in Hawaii.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM

392 posts, read 806,726 times
I use bank of Hawaii. Looks just fine. There are few things that I miss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui