Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM

310 posts, read 446,998 times

Advertisements

Is Maui really more expensive than the other islands? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Is Maui really more expensive than the other islands? Why or why not?
Flipping thru craigslist - rent seems less expensive than Oahu. It stops there.

Honolulu is the gateway for all the good shipped in - so it comes here, then shipped to Maui - that costs money.

And, jobs pay less in Maui - so a double whammy.

I know gas is 10% more expensive than Oahu - groceries more expensive - the list goes on.....

Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
I agree (after living on Maui for 10 years). Most of the extra expense really is the post-Oahu shipping, which includes groceries, gas, and everything else (including utilities: electricity, water, propane, etc.).

That said, rent appears to be "cheaper," but there's NOTHING like Honolulu/Waikiki here. More like Oahu's North Shore and *maybe* Kaneohe/Kailua. Maui is much more rural and has NO cities and only a few towns, some of which are $$$$$ resort areas.

IMHO, if your move hinges on the last 10%, you probably aren't ready for Hawai'i expenses. No matter where you end up, you have to be really flexible and prepared to pay.

Best of luck.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
There are actually people posting in the Seattle forum the cost of living in Seattle is comparable to Oahu - I gave them a big LOL, I wish.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Of course Seattle is comparable to Oahu. Suntan boothes and thermal wetsuits alone are a major financial setback that has to be taken into consideration. And Laulau doesn't grow on trees...

Aloha and okoledakine

Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 15,888 times
Whynot? is right, post-Oahu charges add up to a little extra expense on Maui, but you couldn't pay me to live in Oahu. Oahu is a great place to live if you are 20 something and looking to party. If you are looking for the beauty and relaxation go with Maui. Oahu is just a big sunny traffic jam with bars that stay open until 4 pm. If cost is determining your move to Hawaii in general your not moving to Hawaii for the right reasons anyway. Hawaii is not about money, it is about a better more relaxing life.

Also remember that after slashing your clothing budget by 85% you may be able to afford Hawaii

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
I think it is also because there are fewer competing -anythings- on Maui than Oahu. Fewer jobs, fewer stores, fewer restaurants. Competition can bring prices down, but without much competition (as on Maui), prices can be whatever someone will accept.

Also I would guess a higher visitor to local ratio on Maui, although I haven't looked up the numbers. If visitors are willing to pay $xx for a loaf of bread, because they are on vacation, then prices can stay up there. But on Oahu, there are probably more neighborhoods where there are still the stores but fewer visitors, so the prices are set for local pocketbooks. But that's a big generalization.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM

48 posts, read 354,440 times
Rent being cheaper on Maui is only an illusion. It's because of the high amount of ohana units that are available. In some neighborhoods on Maui, practically every home has an ohana unit! There is no where on Oahu that is remotely similar to that situation. For the same price, you'll find a real home on oahu to rent, while on Maui it's going to be some rinky dink 1br in the back of the master house.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
Rent being cheaper on Maui is only an illusion. It's because of the high amount of ohana units that are available. In some neighborhoods on Maui, practically every home has an ohana unit! There is no where on Oahu that is remotely similar to that situation. For the same price, you'll find a real home on oahu to rent, while on Maui it's going to be some rinky dink 1br in the back of the master house.
I pay $850 for an Ohana. You're telling me I can get a whole house on Oahu for that price?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 PM

45 posts, read 130,332 times
What is the cost per sf for home building on Maui, average quality, nothing fancy just tile countertops and some tile flooring with pergo also? House size roughly 1500 sf. large back lanai covered.
Are more contractors taking on work or have they left the island, how available are they?
Anyone have recent expierence to know how long to get a project started through permitting etc?

Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui