Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,251 times

Advertisements

I'm accepting a promotion which will move me from Honolulu to Kaanapali sometime this summer. I need help answering a few questions!

1. As I will only be looking to live on West Maui, any suggestions on apartments complexes regularly renting 1BR-2BR anywhere from Lahaina to Napili? The most common I've come across include "Sunset Villa Apartments" which has terrible reviews! (
- I only have time to make two trips over before the move. One to scout out a place to live, and another to hopefully wrap up and sign a lease somewhere. Any ideas on places to scout out?

2. Anyone have a rough estimate of the cost to move the contents of a 1BR apartment? Young Brothers or Royal Hawaiian Movers? I'm sending over my little Toyota as well. Est. the car is about $250?

3. Surf wise, what's the most consistent summer spot for shortboarding?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but thanks in advance interwebs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Default Let's see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabat View Post
I'm accepting a promotion which will move me from Honolulu to Kaanapali sometime this summer. I need help answering a few questions!

1. As I will only be looking to live on West Maui, any suggestions on apartments complexes regularly renting 1BR-2BR anywhere from Lahaina to Napili? The most common I've come across include "Sunset Villa Apartments" which has terrible reviews! (
- I only have time to make two trips over before the move. One to scout out a place to live, and another to hopefully wrap up and sign a lease somewhere. Any ideas on places to scout out?

2. Anyone have a rough estimate of the cost to move the contents of a 1BR apartment? Young Brothers or Royal Hawaiian Movers? I'm sending over my little Toyota as well. Est. the car is about $250?

3. Surf wise, what's the most consistent summer spot for shortboarding?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but thanks in advance interwebs!
Youngs Brothers delayed some friends shipment by about 6 weeks...no excuses except...'we'll get right on it'. We had called for an est from BI to Maui and got 4 different quoates...be careful w/them. You can load belongings into your car...packing must not be above the lwr sill of the back window...you can pack behind the passengers seat but not behind the drivers seat (seat needs to be able to be moved forward and back. Not sure about Pods or other shipping containers...we sold what we didn't want, packed the rest in our cars and have started fresh on Maui....Surfing, don't know. Renting...maybe consider a quick rental for a few months while you look once here. Should be able to secure a 6 month lease w/no problem.
Koale

Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,421 times
Yeah, the Sunset Villas are often the first landing for new West Maui residents. I suspect that's because 1) West Maui doesn't really have a "rental complex" base, and 2) a lot of people rent online before they move.

Since you're pretty well appraised of the Sunset Villas situation, I'd look into a VRBO or Craigslist rental for a few weeks/couple of months. There are a lot of good rentals in/around Ka'anapali to Napili. You just need to check them out in person. It's worth paying a little extra for the first few weeks not to be stuck for several months.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui