Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Boxster is a lousy car for the islands, for all the reasons given. Service will be inconvenient and expensive, speed limits are low and most traffic is slower, many roads are rough. I think she'll be frustrated, driving around in 2nd gear all the time. Parking in public places (beaches, for example) in such a high profile car will be an invitation to mess with it.
There isn't anything wrong with a sportscar in Maui - it isn't all about speed - the Boxster is a convertable, so that is kind of nice for Maui - plenty of twisty roads to have fun - and, especially when I drive to Kaanapali I don't perceive the speed limit as low as you are making it out to be - she won't be stuck in 2nd gear that much anyway with its little engine . One does not have to drive on rough roads in Maui if you don't want to. Presumably, they have another car for all this rough roads everyone is suggesting.

With that said - Porsche might not be a good fit since there is no Porsche dealer in Maui - so you have to go to an independant service shop and they may not do warranty work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
I agree, a sports car is good for Maui. I wish I had shipped over my Miata instead of my Jeep. The better gas mileage would especially be good.

Maintenance is expensive obviously but they're doctors, they can afford it.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-25-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM

36 posts, read 99,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofcat View Post
Thanks again for all who offered advice. It was not my intention to offend anyone, I apologize if I had come across as pretentious. I am just concerned about my wife's safety. As for my description of her being "fit and cute", this is how I view my lovely spouse in addition to her being intelligent, brave, kindhearted and caring. I sure hope it is not a crime in Maui to find one's spouse attractive =)

As for the folks worrying about cannibals, all I can say is, "Please get some help!"

How can you be worried about your wife's safety when you're coming from crime ridden LA? I've been living in LA (an area that is considered pretty safe), and I felt a lot safer when I was in Maui. I mean... A LOT A LOT safer, and no LA road rage.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
With that said - Porsche might not be a good fit since there is no Porsche dealer in Maui - so you have to go to an independant service shop and they may not do warranty work.
That's actually the core of my thumbs down vote. Porsches need good maintenance to run well, and from what friends tell me Boxsters especially need good maintenance or they don't last.

And yeah, I think a Miata could be fun, and with a Mazda dealer on the island, far more practical.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
I can't tell you how bummed I am that I'm not shipping my '99 NB MX-5 Miata to Hawai'i, but I just can't justify the cost of shipping her from where I am now. As long as you also have access to another SUV or truck, a sporty convertible sure is a fun second car. What the heck, if you can afford it, ship it.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's actually the core of my thumbs down vote. Porsches need good maintenance to run well, and from what friends tell me Boxsters especially need good maintenance or they don't last.

And yeah, I think a Miata could be fun, and with a Mazda dealer on the island, far more practical.
As a former Porsche owner, it's a bit of a hassle to own and maintain them in Hawaiʻi -- there's only one Porsche dealership in the entire state and it's on Oʻahu.
Porsche of Hawaii

On Maui, AutoTech Maui is probably the only place where one can get "factory-certified" service for Porsches.
AutoTech Maui

Compared to a Porsche Boxster, there are plenty of sports cars that are easier to maintain on Maui. Unless it's a 2009 (or newer) Boxster S, I'd probably replace it with one the following vehicles:

Honda S2000
Mazda MX-5/Miata
Nissan 370Z Touring w/Sport Package
Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
Ford Mustang GT
Chevrolet Camaro SS
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG

Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Compared to a Porsche Boxster, there are plenty of sports cars that are easier to maintain on Maui. Unless it's a 2009 (or newer) Boxster S, I'd probably replace it with one the following vehicles:

Honda S2000
Mazda MX-5/Miata
Nissan 370Z Touring w/Sport Package
Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
Ford Mustang GT
Chevrolet Camaro SS
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG
Maui has a BMW and Lexus dealer - I'd add a BMW M3 and Lexus IS-F to the list.

(having rented a Camaro SS, fun inexpensive car - but really hard to see out the back windows - the pillars really block your view - that part wasn't designed well)

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Maui has a BMW and Lexus dealer - I'd add a BMW M3 and Lexus IS-F to the list.

(having rented a Camaro SS, fun inexpensive car - but really hard to see out the back windows - the pillars really block your view - that part wasn't designed well)
Oh how I miss my two Camaro Z-28's...but holy crap bad on fuel consumption. Darned things always had something or another breaking on them too. But OMG the FUN!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
I can't tell you how bummed I am that I'm not shipping my '99 NB MX-5 Miata to Hawai'i, but I just can't justify the cost of shipping her from where I am now. As long as you also have access to another SUV or truck, a sporty convertible sure is a fun second car. What the heck, if you can afford it, ship it.
You'll end up spending more to replace it with some overpriced Hawaii junker. Used car prices here are ridiculous

Edit: Oh you're in the Caribbean... so at least $3000 to ship, nevermind.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 PM

$5,000 to ship!!! Maybe more!!! Selling our huge Ram 1500 Hemi here, too. We already have something lined up on BI, thanks. Going to attempt to be a one-car family for a while since he's offshore half the time and we'll be together the other half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui