Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM

15 posts, read 18,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
If you are only saving $1500 per month on a $75k salary, that means that you are spending $57,000 on consumption (and taxes). You might have to cut your combined salaries in half on Maui while working the same number of hours (or more)....would that be worth it to you?
TAXES! Are a hug hit. Together $20,000 is in taxes. And we eat very healthy, both of us keep in very good shape. So our grocery bills are higher. Yes I know there has to be adjustments when going to the grocery store in Maui. And we do go out some. But to answer your question, yes it would be worth it. You live one life, and it goes by really fast. I couldn't imagine not trying an being 50 yrs old and wondering what my life would of been like if I would of tried living in Maui. I can't do that. The worst thing that can happen is we fail, but at least I would know that I tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,829,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10x View Post
I couldn't imagine not trying an being 50 yrs old and wondering what my life would of been like if I would of tried living in Maui. I can't do that.
Another option would be to work on the mainland, save, take vacations to the different Hawaiian islands and plan. Then move to Hawaii and retire at 50 (or before).

Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
I couldn't imagine not trying an being 50 yrs old and wondering what my life would of been like if I would of tried living in Maui. I can't do that.
The horror of what life would be like without living on Maui (by age 50). Now that's funny!

That is about as extreme of a dreamer statement that I've read in awhile.

In all seriousness - I read a statement like that and it really sets yourself up for failure as the expectations are so high and so commonly not met.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The horror of what life would be like without living on Maui (by age 50). Now that's funny!

That is about as extreme of a dreamer statement that I've read in awhile.

In all seriousness - I read a statement like that and it really sets yourself up for failure as the expectations are so high and so commonly not met.
I'm not saying that my life would be terrible if I didn't move. It's the fact of wanting to really do something and then talking or over planning yourself out of doing it. Everybody has what ifs. Setting yourself up for failure is going without a plan. Everyday we work hard to make our "dream" come true. What the the problem is people like to dream about doing things and not doing it. Anything u want in life takes hard work. So... I absolutely think its not a dreamer statement at all. With the age thing, what I mean is the older you get the harder it is to start a new life somewhere else. By 50 u should be established somewhere, not STILL searching on what to do with your life.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Young, no responsibilities of children, not overly in debt and able to bring some savings along. Sounds pretty ripe for an adventure.
Exactly. The age we are at it's a life experience that's rare now adays. If we do fail. We can always move back to the mainland and start over somewhere else. We both want this really bad and just have to at least try.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,825,827 times
Quote:
I'm 30 & my wife is 29.
Quote:
I couldn't imagine not trying an being 50 yrs old and wondering what my life would of been like if I would of tried living in Maui. I can't do that. The worst thing that can happen is we fail, but at least I would know that I tried.
Young, no responsibilities of children, not overly in debt and able to bring some savings along. Sounds pretty ripe for an adventure.

BUT if you are planning on making a long-term life in Hawaii, and are going to have children, don't forget to budget in the extra cost of education, because in probability you'll have episodes of private school and/or private tutoring in your future for your children.

As for "wondering what", that is something that can occur no matter what life choices you make. It really is a frame of mind. If someone is the "what if" type, it is likely they'll also feel that even if they move to Hawaii. "What if I'd stayed on the mainland and been able to save more each year, would I have been able to retire earlier?" "What if I'd stayed on the mainland, would my children have had a better (or less expensive) education?" "What if I'd stayed on the mainland, would I have had better medical care when XXX condition came up?" Etc.

The "what if's" are not related to Hawaii or not. It is a way of looking at life.

Quote:
By 50 u should be established somewhere, not STILL searching on what to do with your life.
That's what you think at 30. At 50, you'll find that life is still an adventure (if you allow it to be). And if you have planned well, you'll find that at 50 packing up and moving (with a well funded moving fund) can be quite freeing and fun.

Make a plan, work on making the plan happen, and then go for it. Happy adventures, at 30 and still at 50!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Exactly. The age we are at it's a life experience that's rare now adays. If we do fail. We can always move back to the mainland and start over somewhere else. We both want this really bad and just have to at least try.
Your statements are to simplistic.

By your own admission you aren't likely to be high wage earners - and may not even find decent employment opportunities. You may - if you fail - blow your $30,000 in savings - then you are thirtysomethings with no money to your name and that $30,000 could be $90,000 in 10 years at 10% compounded interest (and more if you saved more each year - or $0 if you blow it).

I read from many - well if I fail I can just start over - it isn't that easy. The move can easily cost $10K - a move back possibly $10K - now it doesn't seem like you have as much money as you think anymore when you land with no jobs.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 AM

But in the early 30s, even if they do move back to the mainland in a few years, and even if it costs $20K in to-and-from moving expenses, that is not cause for financial ruin. Heck, I see many people in their 20s and 30s spending $20K+ on a car ... that money spent will not have much residual benefit 10 years from now.

It comes down to choices.

I give kudos to a couple that decides to have some affordable (to them) adventure. I'd rather have them as friends than a stick-in-the-mud couple who hunkered down at 30, bought a fancy car, and spent the next half decade paying off a car all the while regretting that they did not have more adventures while they could.

Just saying.

Money in the bank. No kids (yet). Wanting some adventure. Hawaii calls.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
that $30,000 could be $90,000 in 10 years at 10% compounded interest.
What guaranteed investment will do that nowadays? I'm not being a smarts$$, I'd really like to know.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM

9,337 posts, read 16,724,934 times
You're young with nothing to keep you in one place. Go for it! If things work out...great, if not, have enough money for a return ticket saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui