Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,092,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Honestly, I don't need to talk to an investment adviser, it is not my finances that are being discussed. It is the OP's in relation to their desire to move to Hawaii.

Yes, a financial adviser would likely encourage investing. Just as an insurance person would probably suggest life insurance (such as universal). A marriage counselor would perhaps go towards the "do what you both agree to, and work towards happiness". None of those responses would be giving "bad" advice, they would just be doing what they are paid to do ... advise based on their specialty.

Maybe 20 and 30 seems already "old" to some people. But I am not worried about the OP running out of time to build a nice financial life for themselves just because they take an adventure to Hawaii at 30. (Disclaimer: If there were children involved, I'd have a different approach.)

For those us of here on C-D, there is room for us to have many differing opinions. That's the benefit of an open forum, different opinions to learn from.
I agree, this couple has already saved 30 grand, some people their age save nothing with the same kind of income. many people live their entire life without saving anything. lots of folks also don't want to get into the stock market or bonds. sounds like the op will continue to try to save, if hawaii doesn't work out for them, they can move back to the mainland start all over and if they want to save again they will.

money is to be spent and to enjoy your life with. having a pile in savings while you live life worried about not having money down the road is no way to live life.

the op is smart about money already which is why he has a nice savings already. he is smart enough to figure out if he wants to roll the dice and see if he can make it in the islands. nothing ventured nothing gained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Seriously, 30K is nothing. I can't believe you think at age 30 that is sufficient. That's part of the problem in the US now - you can't expect the government to pay your bills when you retire.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,092,083 times
you can die before retirement. live life, be smart about but go for what you want in life. no one ever has "enough money", how much is subjective.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,822,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Seriously, 30K is nothing. I can't believe you think at age 30 that is sufficient. That's part of the problem in the US now - you can't expect the government to pay your bills when you retire.
The fact that a couple is still exploring life at 30 does not doom them to being unable to support themselves in their retirement.

Some of us see life as an adventure, and some see life as a script to be followed. We each get to make our own choices.

The OP has managed to save up enough to have a comfortable move to Hawaii, with enough money to get settled. And enough to return to the mainland if they decide Hawaii is just a short-term adventure. They have a dream, and have worked to make it possible. Kudos.

Simply said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". I pity the person at 30 that is so worried about retirement they cannot enjoy their life now.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
Quote:
The OP has managed to save up enough to have a comfortable move to Hawaii, with enough money to get settled. And enough to return to the mainland if they decide Hawaii is just a short-term adventure. They have a dream, and have worked to make it possible. Kudos.
They have saved enough to get there, get settled and then have to work their butts off just to be able to stay. Nothing wrong with that, IF that is what you are wanting to do. This would not be what I would want to do, but maybe that's what they are looking for.

OP, if you do decide to do this, please, please, PLEASE set aside enough money to get back home and get re-estabished if things do not work out for you in Hawaii. Then I would suggest that you do not touch this money unless you are using it to go back home.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
The fact that a couple is still exploring life at 30 does not doom them to being unable to support themselves in their retirement.

Some of us see life as an adventure, and some see life as a script to be followed. We each get to make our own choices.

Simply said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". I pity the person at 30 that is so worried about retirement they cannot enjoy their life now.
Opinion only - but that entire response seems like someone really really elderly and out of touch - sorry. I know you are really old - no offense.

I'm always surprised when someone doesn't know someone that should pack up and go - blow there meager savings - have no job lined up - have no way to rent without jobs. And think that is a responsible life. It is way to carefree and elderly for my taste - sorry again.

At 30, you should be strarting a serious plan on retirement. Like get your act together. Stuff like that. Carefree and fancy free is kind of silly at age 30.

Again, trying to be nice - but the elderly responses read like - I with I would have done that - but I don't understand the impact or practicality of that - because, well, I'm old.

Lastly - trying to be nice - I don't buy at all this is a real story. I don't care if there is follow up posts - it is so way off the top and crazy.

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-12-2013 at 02:16 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 AM

15 posts, read 18,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you can die before retirement. live life, be smart about but go for what you want in life. no one ever has "enough money", how much is subjective.
This is exactly how I feel. I just had two people I work with that have been working at this factory for 20+ yrs. both died from cancer. Situations like that make you really think about how short your time is on this planet.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
OP, if you do decide to do this, please, please, PLEASE set aside enough money to get back home and get re-estabished if things do not work out for you in Hawaii. Then I would suggest that you do not touch this money unless you are using it to go back home.
Thanks for positive advice. We have already planned to this with a separate savings account.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 AM

whtviper1 please change your name to Mr. Negativity. My God!!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 AM

106 posts, read 231,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Opinion only - but that entire response seems like someone really really elderly and out of touch - sorry. I know you are really old - no offense.

I'm always surprised when someone doesn't know someone that should pack up and go - blow there meager savings - have no job lined up - have no way to rent without jobs. And think that is a responsible life. It is way to carefree and elderly for my taste - sorry again.

At 30, you should be strarting a serious plan on retirement. Like get your act together. Stuff like that. Carefree and fancy free is kind of silly at age 30.

Again, trying to be nice - but the elderly responses read like - I with I would have done that - but I don't understand the impact or practicality of that - because, well, I'm old.
Wow. This seems a lot unnecessary.

I think anybody has a right to their opinions, good or bad, as most opinions are honest and true for the person that is answering, but state it once and move on unless the OPs need and ask for clarification. Nobody is the gatekeeper of Hawaii. None of us know a true thing about the lives of those seeking the advice.

I dunno, I wonder about those who forget how to be "carefree and fancy free" at any age! When I hear statements like that I (honestly) immediately wonder if someone missed out on being loved as a child or lived some sort of sheltered unimaginative life and never learned how to dream. I am so grateful I grew up as a creative soul. Loving music, art, plays, song and dance and discovering new things and taking chances.

Hawaii is good for the soul. Some people thrive here, some go back eventually. Most of us are honest on the challenges of moving to and living in Hawaii, but still can understand someone making a life decision that really in the end does not have an affect on us.

Last edited by manapua12; 04-12-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui