Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 10,354 times

Advertisements

Hi all...will be moving to Maui end of October. Does anyone know about how much a 4400 lb. SUV (Acura MDX) will cost? I understand Maui charges by weight, not value.

Thanks

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Aloha, and to begin with... Good Luck!

Car registration in Hawai'i can be a frustrating process, because the State issues the plates, but the Counties administer the registration locally, and they have different interpretations and in some cases different administrative rules and different fees. This blog entry details one person's experience with the County of Maui.
A Malihini on Maui: How to register your out-of-state vehicle in Maui County

You will almost certainly find it advantageous to get an Out-of-State permit to begin with. That honors your existing registration until it runs out, for up to 12 months max. Cost is $10 plus the cost of a safety inspection, $15.31.

Here's Maui County's website on that: Maui County, HI - Official Website - Out of State Permit

Hawai'i registration, currently costs $45 + $.01 per lb. (State, for vehicle between 4,000 and 7,000 lbs.) + $.0125 per lb. (County). If they accept your 4,400 lb weight, I take that to be $144. But as in all things to do with Hawai'i government, YMMV!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 AM

280 posts, read 473,209 times
I can confirm what OpenD advises about the out of state permit. You can begin this even before you arrive like I have done. My State Farm rep sent me the paperwork I needed.

Cannot wait to see everyone when I arrive in Maui this Sunday. For now I'm living near Wailuku. Seya soon!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 AM

337 posts, read 613,243 times
Hurray!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
While keeping your current registration/plates until it expires sounds like a good deal, remember that having those out-of-state plates will most likely make your vehicle a target for some of the more undesirable people. You would be better off in my opinion by getting Hawaii plates within the 30 day grace period from when your vehicle arrives on island.

Speaking of which, make sure that you keep a copy of the shipping paperwork with you in the vehicle. If you get pulled over - you will want to be able to prove to the officer that you are within the 30 days (unless you get the required safety inspection).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui