Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:01 PM

70 posts, read 288,099 times

Advertisements

aloha

just celebrated one year on maui after moving from da mainland ...never thought of ca.or or. as mainland ...funny how that is ..

well i am certainly happy i moved ...

things fell into place as they were suppossed to happen ..i think by pre planning that made it so much easier...in the first month or so ...so suprises were easier to take ...

finding a place was only a few days of looking ...it helps to have a budget ...
getting driving stuff in place was only a few bucs ...i brought over older vehicle .
electric was just a visit with a lease in place and 300 bucs for security ...
cable a phone call

and learning where stores are ...welll they are still there

street names ...now that is a story unto itself ...w is a v ..ok but with 12 letters you will need time to get the hang of many a name

cosco ..walmart ..target lowes home depot etc are a great calm in this part of the world ...and most prices are about the same or appear to be ....if not you do what i did ....dont buy it ...

i have met lots of people ...both local and not ...but that was by ...not staying home and getting involved in ...what interested me ...that simple //

to give an example ...unfortunately i got sick a few months back ...about 50 new friends came to visit me in the hospital ... that still is a mind blower

i cant explain in a few words what my medical condition was or what i have gone through ...but ...i walked in to the only hospital on maui one sunday and came out 2 months later alive and all and i mean all covered by insurabce ...yes there is a santa claus and he is very very very rich ...

it has been told about maui ...if you give it gives back if you mistreat maui ...da plane goes back every day ...

i came on a one way and i am glad i came

maui is the best ...no questions asked

xstonedrocker

ps 30 years ago tonite john lennon was shot down in cold blooded murder ...a life snuffed by a ..... one hour before that sad news i asked my wife to be ...if she will marry me ...

both rest in heaven today ///rest in peace my love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,228 times
Thumbs up I hear ya...

Yeah...there's something very unique and special about Maui. I felt it 30 years ago when I lived here in my youth. She was good to me then and she's being good to me now. Sure, more people, more cars but still the same 'magic' and Aloha as ever. I, for one, am glad you are here.
It seems that Maui is too. I printed your earlier post and shared it w/my coworkers and the dept you mentioned at MMMC. Your thoughts and warmth towards them, touched them very deeply. I've probably passed you on the street or the beach...in any case, accept my Aloha as sincere.
Koni

Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,439 times
..love hearing this. I hope everything goes as well for me and my husband. kinda excited and scared because we only have a few months left now!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 AM

5 posts, read 9,841 times
My wife and I are currently visiting Maui (been here for two weeks) for the first time celebrating our wedding anniversary. We have fallen in love with the place! We are in our mid 50's and our plan has been to relocate in the next 4 - 5 years to our retirement location. We will not necessarily be retiring when we relocate but want to relocate to our ultimate retirement location so we can start to enjoy it and establish relationships. My wife loves sunsets and water views and the sound of the ocean so obviously now our relocation destination may change. We will have a retirement income (I am retire military and by then will have retired with 20 yrs of federal civilian service as well) but I'm still concerned about finding employment in Maui. As far as housing we would likely rent for at least the first year or so to allow us time to identify the area we'd like to purchase and settle in. Any advice is welcomed.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM

26 posts, read 75,755 times
Congratulations, xstonedrocker! That's awesome that you are making it happen. My wife and I hope to duplicate your success in the next year or so.

Can you share your assessment of the job market on Maui?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,498,060 times
Congrats OP, my wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Maui and we were competely blown away. We will never forget it, and cant wait to go back!!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 AM

70 posts, read 288,099 times
aloha

you have to really live on maui to find a job

some jobs are by contract,....not sure what that entails ''in five years who knows what will happen

if you are coming you will need a min of 30 k the first year //less than that i dunno

plan ahead and things will work out ..dont plan and watch the debri.... the fallout will be you

xstonedrocker

Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 AM

150 posts, read 415,872 times
Congratulations Xstoned,
We're right behind you at 10 months here on Maui. You've had quite a year. I'm glad Maui is treating you well. Sounds like you'll do the same for her. : )

Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
Aloha EX

So glad your making it on Maui and even happier your health is better .

Iʻm think it was the cannibalism you probably got a bad person in that batch you picked up.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstonedrocker View Post
if you are coming you will need a min of 30 k the first year //less than that i dunno
xstonedrocker
That's sort of good news for us, actually. You spent 30k in a year? We'll have about 12k for 6 months.. yes I know everyone, that's not enough, but if you subtract his "weed tax" since we don't smoke, we should be pretty close!

just razzin ya, xstonedrocker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui