Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 AM

65 posts, read 96,943 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
I am moving to Maui in Dec 2013 and planning to set up my business (traveling) over there. Is anyboby here can tell me how hard it is and what are the first steps I have to do to make it happened?

Thank you in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 AM

17 posts, read 68,114 times
I think the most important thing you should consider is whether you think you can have a successful business if you don't know the first steps and don't already know what you must do to make it happen. The reason I think you didn't get replies on this post is because you shouldn't open a business if you have to ask a forum how to. I'm not saying this to be unhelpful, I am trying to be helpful. Stick to what you know.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
you didn't get enough answers in the thread you started before?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/maui/...ting-your.html

Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,540,814 times
Very easy to start one. Register the name/entity and apply for the GET (general excise tax) license, on-line.

hawaii.gov | Starting a Business

Making the business grow and keeping abreast of the many taxes, permits and regulations in Hawaii, is the hard part.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,795,926 times
How is "traveling" a business? If you're talking about serving the tourist trade, sorry. There's a complete infrastructure already in place. Do you offer a special angle or specialized services that no one else does?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
The state of Hawaii appears to have one stop shopping for all the permits and business licenses that you need. Apply once and they register you for everything.

You also have to do a fictitious business name, form an LLC or some sort of corporation. Then all the organization and expense of getting the business up and running.

Oh, professional licenses, you will have to qualify, show your credentials, and probably pass some tests.

For a travel agency, you must be bonded and your vehicles specially licensed, with license numbers displayed on the vehicle.

It's all on-line if you'd like to do a Google search.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The state of Hawaii appears to have one stop shopping for all the permits and business licenses that you need. Apply once and they register you for everything.

You also have to do a fictitious business name, form an LLC or some sort of corporation. Then all the organization and expense of getting the business up and running.

Oh, professional licenses, you will have to qualify, show your credentials, and probably pass some tests.

For a travel agency, you must be bonded and your vehicles specially licensed, with license numbers displayed on the vehicle.

It's all on-line if you'd like to do a Google search.
Thank you for such informative and useful advice!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A travel agent requires 'special' plates on their car? That doesn't sound right.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
Larissa, rather than taking advice from some anonymous people who may never have even been to Hawaii, much less owned a business there, why not go directly to the source? Hawaii has a Department of Consumer Affairs that you can look up on-line or call and talk to someone directly. This may be the same place that mdand3 gave you the link to.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Larissa, rather than taking advice from some anonymous people who may never have even been to Hawaii, much less owned a business there, why not go directly to the source? Hawaii has a Department of Consumer Affairs that you can look up on-line or call and talk to someone directly. This may be the same place that mdand3 gave you the link to.
It is right, I will go to the web and look up the info needed. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui