Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM

41 posts, read 51,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Recommending Harbor Frights?? Things must have drastically improved there since I lived on Maui decades ago. Actually, I would be interested in comments on what that complex is like nowadays.
It's not that Harbor Lights is "better", it's just that the welfare housing projects are really that much worse- totally infested with crystal meth addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
I know a lady who gets a housing subsidy and lives in Lahaina across the highway from that big undeveloped space (I think there are plans to clear out the homeless folks living there and develop it). Her neighbors seem pretty normal.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 PM

90 posts, read 296,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Recommending Harbor Frights?? Things must have drastically improved there since I lived on Maui decades ago. Actually, I would be interested in comments on what that complex is like nowadays.
I would recommend it over actual low income housing like Down Housing(I forget the actual name). Harbor Lights was actually better before though.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
Section 8 is federally funded, it is pretty much irrelevant where you live as long as there housing available where you what to be.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:12 AM

7 posts, read 11,376 times
I met a man a Couple years ago here in oregon a disabled vet. Who was on two waiting lists one in pearl city and one in Hilo and he got calls a week a part that there was a place for him.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon to kauai View Post
I met a man a Couple years ago here in oregon a disabled vet. Who was on two waiting lists one in pearl city and one in Hilo and he got calls a week a part that there was a place for him.
Years ago doesn't mean much today, sorry. There is far more demand for low-income housing than there is supply, and in most cases waiting lists are years long, and some are so long they've been closed to new applicants.

Not that it's always the case, but I like to shape people's expectations appropriately. In general the shortest waits currently are for elderly low-income people.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Not that it's always the case, but I like to shape people's expectations appropriately.
Mahalo for shaping us OD, hopefully in your image

We, the unworthy ones, are eterna,,,,, uuuurrrrppppp,,,,, scuze me, lly, grateful

Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,385 times
PaliPatty, I lived in Honolulu for 10 yrs. and I know personally what a struggle it is to live and work in Hawaii. However Hawaii receives 3 times as much federal money as it pay in taxes, etc. So the rest of the county basicly keeps you'll afloat. So your attitude that this is "our" place and we get first choice, gets old. I think Hawaii could be a wonderful place to live for everyone if your elected officals cared to make it so. The resources are there, it's just that things are set up to make life hard for the avg. working person there. Aloha and best wishes for your husband, Robert

Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertNeb View Post
However Hawaii receives 3 times as much federal money as it pay in taxes, etc.
That kind of skews the big picture when you say that -

While Hawaii takes in about 6.5 Billion of Federal Revenue and spends about $20 Billion, we are overshadowed by Mississippi, North Carolina, Louisiana, and Florida.

You want a state being kept afloat -

Florida takes in about $122 billion of federal tax revenue and spends a whopping $528 billion of federal tax money.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 PM

431 posts, read 940,868 times
And just where is that federal money going?

States That Get The Most Federal Money - 24/7 Wall St.

>>>>>>4) Hawaii
> Federal spending per capita net of income taxes: $13,709
> Total federal spending per capita: $15,331
> Federal income taxes per capita: $1,622

The Hawaiian Islands have 11 military bases,contributing to the country’s highest per capita federal expenditure from the Department of Defense in 2010. Along with a large number of military personnel on the government payroll, Hawaii also had the highest federal salaries and wages. Some 77% of the salaries and wages paid are for active military personnel. The state had the 10th highest federal procurement spending per capita, at $2,017.80. Since 2006, federal expenditure on salaries and wages in Hawaii has more than doubled.<<<<<<

Now go forth and discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui