Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM

941 posts, read 1,969,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Maui made Travel + Leisure #3 best island in the world - and Kauai #7, Big Island didn't make the list.
T+L stands for travel and leisure, not transplant and living magazine, so I don't think this is very relevant.

Plus, these top 10 lists come out every year with the places shuffled around and people keep buying the magazine and buying into the results. Same thing for Top 10 Beaches! Top 10 Weekend Getaways! Top 10 Family Destinations! and ad nauseum (enough to have a top 10 in every issue). Every one of thes includes one or 2 in Hawaii, because the pretty pictures sell magazines. Not to mention how arbitrary the categories are, given Manhatten is an island, and what about Alcatraz?

OK, I finally clicked through to the link and don't worry, Big Island has the top-rated resort in Hawaii. But wait, what does that have to do with moving there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post

OK, I finally clicked through to the link and don't worry, Big Island has the top-rated resort in Hawaii. But wait, what does that have to do with moving there?
That the Big Island isn't all that's it is cracked up to be.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,778,187 times
Vog shmog, who cares. The real question is who has the worse meth problem? I have heard it is worse on the BI than Maui.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWin13 View Post
Maui or The Big Island ??? Both have great things to do & fun things to see. Not sure which would be worse VOG or Cane Burning ? I can get the same housing and health care on both Islands. Still gathering info. Thanks for everyone help...
Could you explain the sentence, in BOLD, above?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Could you explain the sentence, in BOLD, above?
She has previously posted that she is a disabled veteran, and qualifies for a low to moderate housing and veterans benefits. But she was bothered by the vog in Kona, and is wondering if Maui might be a better choice.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
She has previously posted that she is a disabled veteran, and qualifies for a low to moderate housing and veterans benefits. But she was bothered by the vog in Kona, and is wondering if Maui might be a better choice.
Qualifying for and actually being able to get into it - are two very different things for veterans, at least on the Big Island. Make darn sure you get that lined up BEFORE you get here.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM

30 posts, read 50,108 times
Which is better depends a great deal on the individual making the decision. Maui is more, for lack of a better term, "high end" than the Big Island. The BI offers more affordable real estate/ rents, along with more space in general. The Big Island is a little less "haole orange county" than Maui, a bit more Aloha.

The vog vs. cane smoke depends on where you live on each island. In general, VOG causes a lot more health problems than cane smoke, assuming you live in areas that receive generous amounts of each. On the BI, the VOG is most intense in Kau and Kona. I know a women in Volcano on the BI that owns a very nice 5 bedroom home in Pahala, just down wind of the vent. The vog is so bad, she is unable to live there, makes her nearly pass out. Vog gets less intense towards Waikoloa and Waimea. It's even less intense, on a regular basis, in Hilo and Hamakua. On Maui, sugar cane production is winding down. For the most part, only north Kihei sees very much of it.

To put it in further perspective. VOG is generated, every day, 24/7 by an enormous volcano. It's always being created. Cane burning happens every once in awhile and does not last very long, just makes an annoying mess. You don't want either, but VOG is far more severe - though does not effect everyone the same. Some folks are not bother at all.

That said, it's possible to live on either Maui or the BI and, for the most part, avoid either VOG or cane burning. In your overall decision making process, deciding on which island to live on should center around other factors. The main one being, which one do you like better? It really comes down to you. No one can tell you which will be best for you. I can assure, its possible to live a happy, content life in either place.

I personally prefer Maui because everything is nearby. The beach, Costco, Whole Foods, etc are all a short drive from my house. The Big Island can involve lots of driving if you live outside of Kona, a very VOG filled place. On the Big Island, I personally would only live in Waimea or along the Hamakua Coast.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWin13 View Post
Maui or The Big Island ??? Both have great things to do & fun things to see. Not sure which would be worse VOG or Cane Burning ? I can get the same housing and health care on both Islands. Still gathering info. Thanks for everyone help...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Maui made Travel + Leisure #3 best island in the world - and Kauai #7, Big Island didn't make the list.

Maui, Kauai among the top 10 islands on Travel + Leisure ?World?s Best? list - Pacific Business News
Hawaiian Airlines did rather well, too. Congratulations!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM

30 posts, read 50,108 times
Those lists are geared towards tourism instead of actually living there. While Maui has been my home for 20+ years, I consider the overly touristed and highly transient nature to be a detriment. From a certain perspective, the fact that the Big Island does not make these lists could be seen as a plus - a better sense of community.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,880 times
I would go Maui, the Vog (when it comes to Maui) just kills my sinus and gives me headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui