Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 24,541 times

Advertisements

Maui or The Big Island ??? Both have great things to do & fun things to see. Not sure which would be worse VOG or Cane Burning ? I can get the same housing and health care on both Islands. Still gathering info. Thanks for everyone help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,712,700 times
Where are you thinking of living on the BI? We live down near South Point, and the trade winds blow the vog by us. Very rarely does it affect people in out neighborhood. Kona gets it a lot worse than we do. The only clear days in Kona any more are when there are kona winds.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,821,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWin13 View Post
Maui or The Big Island ??? Both have great things to do & fun things to see. Not sure which would be worse VOG or Cane Burning ? I can get the same housing and health care on both Islands. Still gathering info. Thanks for everyone help...
Well, vog is sort of an annoyance that can settle in for hours or days. Burning cane is sort of an onslaught of sever smoke and ash if you are near a burning field, and the smoke can drift for many miles although of course it will not be as thick and noxious as if nearby.

Neither is desirable, but both have been tolerated by residents for many years and decades.

I'd not use it as an evaluation tool for choosing one island over the other, but I'd definitely use it as an evaluation tool for choosing one area/neighborhood over another.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Burning cane smells better than vog and at least you know when it will be happening.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:34 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,079,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Where are you thinking of living on the BI? We live down near South Point, and the trade winds blow the vog by us. Very rarely does it affect people in out neighborhood. Kona gets it a lot worse than we do. The only clear days in Kona any more are when there are kona winds.
How often do you get kona winds?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Burning cane smells better than vog and at least you know when it will be happening.
That might be dependent upon factors such as how close are you to the burning cane; is the cane burn during daylight or night; or how still is the air on voggy days, etc. I've had to jump out of bed during the black of night and scramble to quickly close household windows due to nearby burning cane, but never had to actually "run in the house" due to vog. Matter of fact, on very voggy days, it is recommended to limit exercise (and thus running).

Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 AM

17 posts, read 68,109 times
Cane burning is no problem if you don't live down wind of it. I have never had a problem with it because I live up in Lahaina. Vog can cover all of the big island and then come over to the islands, however, my friends who live there never notice it. Seriously though, if you have problems with the cane burning, it's only because you are in an area of the island where it effects you. No escaping the vog.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuljoon View Post
. Vog can cover all of the big island and then come over to the islands, however, my friends who live there never notice it. Seriously though, if you have problems with the cane burning, it's only because you are in an area of the island where it effects you. No escaping the vog.
Certain areas are more prone to vog, while some areas rarely have it on Hawaii Island.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM

569 posts, read 782,459 times
I'd also think about how much "civilization" you want. Maui certainly isn't Oahu, but you're going to have more of the things you might be used to as far as restuaurants, nightlife and entertainment. As an example, Maui probably gets more acts you've heard of visting the island to perform there.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the big island, but I think I'd be a little more stir crazy living there, even though there's more area to cover.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Maui made Travel + Leisure #3 best island in the world - and Kauai #7, Big Island didn't make the list.

Maui, Kauai among the top 10 islands on Travel + Leisure ?World?s Best? list - Pacific Business News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui