Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,421,814 times

Advertisements

Maui shark attack: German woman loses an arm to a shark - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM

78,606 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Any word on what kind of shark? One would assume a Tiger or Great White.

I've read how the great whites are making a comeback in the area due to increasing whale numbers.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,116,619 times
it seems that in many of these attacks, the victim while shredded are often left with their extremities still attached. For an arm to be severed, it may be a large shark doing the snacking. Good news tho, the beach is open again, who wants to go out to Molokini and do some snorkeling today?

signed, George Costanza, Marine Biologist

Woman loses arm in Maui shark attack | KHON2

Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM

242 posts, read 392,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Any word on what kind of shark? One would assume a Tiger or Great White.
I bet it's Tony the Tiger recently released by the MOC getting revenge on all the tourists that gawked at it while in captivity.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:50 PM

280 posts, read 473,775 times
Second shark attack in a couple weeks on the south side. Everyone always analyzes the amount of risk in these situations, type of shark being one risk and another being time of day being another.

Me, I am in no hurry to look at turtles Molokini .

Old 08-17-2013, 04:20 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,582,014 times
In the five weeks, well, a little over five, that I have lived on Maui, I've noticed a few things. First, I used to never see turtles over here, (not talking Costco, I'm sure they have em by the caseload). And now, in the past few weeks, I see more and more of them while out paddling. Second, supposedly, the turtle is on the tiger sharks pupu platter in Hawaii much the same as the seal is for great whites elsewhere. Third, ask any long time life guard South Maui side, or any DLNR person, and they will usually verify that a VERY large tiger shark has been a long time resident of south maui waters, primarily sighted between Pu'u Olai and Keawekapu. (Hawaiian buddy of mine was out diving off Five Graves years back, in about 40 feet of water, looking for tako, when he said he saw this 'shadow' on the bottom, LARGE shadow, looked up, sure enough, tiger shark, THE shark? Maybe.) Now, take the above into consideration, and throw in 'Turtle Town', the tourist dive spot down at Makena Landing, where, guess what? MORE people in the water, with MORE turtles. Sounds like a possible problem on the horizon. But, no biggy, if you go into the water over here, and it's not the chlorinated variety, chances are pretty good that there is something in the water, close by, that, if it wanted to kill you, it could. (not talking power boats here, lost a friend to one not long ago)

So, I would say 'NO WORRIES' on the shark front, I'm surprised there aren't encounters more often.
ON THE OTHER HAND!!! If I'm driving down the road one day, and the following comes on the radio.......

NEWS FLASH!!!! THIS IS MITS FUNAI WITH THE NALO NEWS, WITH THIS LATE BREAKING STORY!!!!! Well, folks, it seems to have happened once again, only, this time not in Waianae, but in lovely Waimanalo. Right down the street from our station, at Waimanalo Beach Park. Seems a homeless man had set up his camp there, and had been living on the beach for a few days. Unfortunately, he was evidently new to the Islands homeless population, and made the same tragic mistake as that fellow in Waianae did the other week, he set up his encampment BELOW the trash line. That's right, all his gear was very close to the waters edge. His empty sleeping bag was found just this morning, with the usual tiny trails leading directly to the water and the reef just off shore. The trail, of course, having been left by pirate Ama crabs, who dragged him off into the water, and no doubt to their underwater home, while he dozed peacefully, passed out from an overdose of primo beer and okolehao.. The police, at first thinking this might be another case of cannibalism on Oahu, ruled that out, when they discovered an unopened bottle of A1 sauce in the mans backpack, and saw the tiny tracks leading to the sea. What can I say, except, to the homeless man, at least you're homeless no more.... this is Mits Funai, with the Nalo News, signing off, and remember folks, when spending the night at the beach, NEVER pass out below the trash line.

Yep, when I hear that on the news I'll start worrying

Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM

337 posts, read 614,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
In the five weeks, well, a little over five, that I have lived on Maui, I've noticed a few things. First, I used to never see turtles over here, (not talking Costco, I'm sure they have em by the caseload). And now, in the past few weeks, I see more and more of them while out paddling. Second, supposedly, the turtle is on the tiger sharks pupu platter in Hawaii much the same as the seal is for great whites elsewhere. Third, ask any long time life guard South Maui side, or any DLNR person, and they will usually verify that a VERY large tiger shark has been a long time resident of south maui waters, primarily sighted between Pu'u Olai and Keawekapu. (Hawaiian buddy of mine was out diving off Five Graves years back, in about 40 feet of water, looking for tako, when he said he saw this 'shadow' on the bottom, LARGE shadow, looked up, sure enough, tiger shark, THE shark? Maybe.) Now, take the above into consideration, and throw in 'Turtle Town', the tourist dive spot down at Makena Landing, where, guess what? MORE people in the water, with MORE turtles. Sounds like a possible problem on the horizon. But, no biggy, if you go into the water over here, and it's not the chlorinated variety, chances are pretty good that there is something in the water, close by, that, if it wanted to kill you, it could. (not talking power boats here, lost a friend to one not long ago)

So, I would say 'NO WORRIES' on the shark front, I'm surprised there aren't encounters more often.
ON THE OTHER HAND!!! If I'm driving down the road one day, and the following comes on the radio.......

NEWS FLASH!!!! THIS IS MITS FUNAI WITH THE NALO NEWS, WITH THIS LATE BREAKING STORY!!!!! Well, folks, it seems to have happened once again, only, this time not in Waianae, but in lovely Waimanalo. Right down the street from our station, at Waimanalo Beach Park. Seems a homeless man had set up his camp there, and had been living on the beach for a few days. Unfortunately, he was evidently new to the Islands homeless population, and made the same tragic mistake as that fellow in Waianae did the other week, he set up his encampment BELOW the trash line. That's right, all his gear was very close to the waters edge. His empty sleeping bag was found just this morning, with the usual tiny trails leading directly to the water and the reef just off shore. The trail, of course, having been left by pirate Ama crabs, who dragged him off into the water, and no doubt to their underwater home, while he dozed peacefully, passed out from an overdose of primo beer and okolehao.. The police, at first thinking this might be another case of cannibalism on Oahu, ruled that out, when they discovered an unopened bottle of A1 sauce in the mans backpack, and saw the tiny tracks leading to the sea. What can I say, except, to the homeless man, at least you're homeless no more.... this is Mits Funai, with the Nalo News, signing off, and remember folks, when spending the night at the beach, NEVER pass out below the trash line.

Yep, when I hear that on the news I'll start worrying
lol

Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Wow, I didn't realize Mits Funai was still on the air... I thought his career was pau once Fate Yunagi filed that protective order against him and the whole story of the Great Ukulele Caper finally came out...

Well, sharks generate a deep primal fear, for sure, and shark attacks make for front page news, and there have been a lot of shark attacks this year, but the truth is, many more people in the US are killed by dogs than by sharks.

And in Hawai'i in particular, you are far more likely to die by drowning than by shark attack. 3 Japanese tourists died in separate accidents on Oahu just this week.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
Last time I was there a woman was eaten in front of her home while going for a daily swim the gardener tried to save her

Old 08-17-2013, 07:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
At least sharks stay in the water so you know when there's risk. We visited Alaska and they have bears there that eat people. Overall, Hawaii doesn't have that much dangerous stuff just out and about. Florida has alligators, Texas has rattle snakes. A whole lot of the mainland has venomous snakes. Poison ivy, cougars, wolves, etc. Sharks are about the only killer critters we get around here although folks do manage to fall off of cliffs and drown even without any critters involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui