Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

There you go again OpenD, rambling on but missing the point. The point about Steve Jobs moving to Hawaii. I didn't say anything about India or all that other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If I did stupid stuff like move to Hawaii at 23 - I wouldn't be in Hawaii now. Nor would I own homes - lived around the world - instead, I'd likely be broke - saying, how stupid was that to move to Hawaii at 23 and it just screwed up the rest of my life.

I just saw a good quote right now on twitter - your life is limited, so don't waste it on someone else's life - by Steve Jobs - could you imagine how the world would be different if he had to go to Hawaii so badly at 23 - very different.
I did "stupid stuff" when I was 23. Took off for three months after graduation from college and bummed around Europe. Then spent three years as a ski bum in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. THEN, after all that "stupid stuff", I started my career. I earned enough money in my career to afford a nice home, and now I'm enjoying a very nice retirement in Hawaii and Colorado.

That "stupid stuff" that I did in my early 20's gave me unforgettable experiences and a broader view of the world. I think that every young person should spend time in other countries so that they can learn a greater appreciation for what we have here in America.

OP, you are young and based on your posts it looks like you have a plan. I say GO FOR IT!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 AM

7 posts, read 15,399 times
Of course I do not plan on working at minimum wage jobs my whole life. Yes I'm 23 but I've been supporting myself since I was 17. This does not make me irresponsible or unprotected. I definitely not either of those things and I think it's wrong to judge someone like that. I'm aware of the expense of Maui. I have the capability to succeed in something more then a minimum wage job. Starting out working one isn't not permit. I do have a plan and I'm so still working on making it better. Do not have a plan B but thanks for bringing that to my attention cause that's something very useful to have.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I did "stupid stuff" when I was 23.
Sigh - none of that stupid stuff included Hawaii that you mentioned - Europe, go for it - India, sure. Hawaii - stupid stuff.

Make it worthwhile at least when doing the stupid stuff.

Make it a good one - don't waste time at 23 in Hawaii. Can't people do better than that?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 AM

96 posts, read 145,231 times
I would totally consider it worthwile if I had "wasted" more time in Hawaii at 23! Unfortunately I only did "stupid" stuff for a year after graduating at 19 (travelled once around the world, and yes it did include a stop in Hawaii, which was definitely one of the highlights of the trip) and then became a "serious" person and launched a nice career, only to wonder in my early thirties what else to do. Not much room left to go up (CEO wasn't my goal) and wondering whether sacrifying my social life and my health was worth it. So in my opinion plenty of time at 23 to be monkeying around. LauraMichelle seems to have her act together. Plus who says that having money is the goal for everyone? Some people are happy with very little. A lot happier than most people with a lot of $.I work a crabby litttle job these days and spend tons of time with my family (and in silly formums) and enjoy myself!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
The OP didn't mention a college degree in some viable employment. That's why minimum wage jobs was brought up. This is a very different situation where someone went to college, graduated, bummed around for several months, then got a job. Bumming around after graduation today is a big mistake. The competition is much more intense today. It used to be the last year in high school was used to determine if you can get into college. Now, it is the last 3 years. If there is a long time gap or about a year after you graduate and your first job, then the value of the degree is drastically diminished. If too much time goes by, the degree is worthless.

If I did not waste years of my life in my 20s, I would be retired today. Instead I have to work another 3 - 6 years, more likely 6 years, depending where I want to retire and to what standard of living. Other people in their 20s and 30s are making the right choices. You will be compared to those people that made the right choices.

The first priority should be to pursue a career that is viable and and provide you with enough income to improve you life, standard of living, and make retirement possible. Remember, the vast majority of American, probably approaching 80% have very little or absolutely nothing saved up for retirement. Most cannot ever retire, or if they do, they will live in absolute poverty. This will likely only get worse in the future. Be a person that made the right choices when you are young. When you are older, you will appreciate the advise from someone who already made many mistakes when they were young.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM

44 posts, read 54,126 times
:at 23 putthe grown up pants on:. Lordy, whats happened to the American Dream. Live a litte. My daughters' 22 and if she wished to relocate to Maui well I'd be out to visit say the least. IMHO
Try it while young

Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrsalem View Post
:at 23 putthe grown up pants on:. Lordy, whats happened to the American Dream. Live a litte. My daughters' 22 and if she wished to relocate to Maui well I'd be out to visit say the least. IMHO
Try it while young
Seriously, that is what the "American Dream" means to you - wow. The American Dream is a concept that stresses materialism/prosperity that can be available to every American. You know, things like education or home ownership. When folks like Dr. Martin Luther King referenced the American Dream - I doubt he was thinking about Hawaii.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There you go again OpenD, rambling on but missing the point. The point about Steve Jobs moving to Hawaii. I didn't say anything about India or all that other stuff.
There you go again, missing the big picture, and being rude about it. You tried to appropriate a quote from Steve Jobs' most acclaimed speech to support your viewpoint, when Jobs was actually saying the exact opposite.

It's a stunning speech, one that Stanford University has posted on their website, and it's well worth the read. He talked about how important it is to find out what you love and how "much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on."

Quote:
Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
And here's the quote you pulled, in context, which makes his meaning clearer.

Quote:
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)
Then he concluded his speech by referring to a quote which had greatly inspired him, from the final issue of The Whole Earth Catalog: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

Quote:
"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." ~ Steve Jobs

Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Then he concluded his speech by referring to a quote which had greatly inspired him, from the final issue of The Whole Earth Catalog: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."
He didn't mean it LITERALLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui