Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 PM

23 posts, read 38,503 times

Advertisements

Ok so i am moving to maui in january and will be looking for a 3 bedroom house. I'm hoping that i can find one in an area that will be good for kids. any advice will be very much appreciated!! Also what area will be good for schools. We have an 11 year old in 6th grade and a 5 year old in kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plicon View Post
Ok so i am moving to maui in january and will be looking for a 3 bedroom house. I'm hoping that i can find one in an area that will be good for kids. any advice will be very much appreciated!! Also what area will be good for schools. We have an 11 year old in 6th grade and a 5 year old in kindergarten.
Aloha and Welcome.

The fastest way to get a good grasp of what you'll encounter is to spend as much time as you can reading the archives here, using the Search function. As you might imagine, all the general questions have been asked and answered many times before now, so doing some background homework now will help you to ask the right kind of questions, in order to get the answers that will be most useful in your specific situation.

Just to begin with... have you ever visited Maui? How much do you know about the island? Do you (or someone else) have a job in a specific location to take into account for commuting purposes? Will you be looking to buy or rent? Short term or long term? What's your budget? Are you looking for public schools, or private? Have you made reservations for hotel or other temporary accommodations and rental cars yet? (because January is a busy tourism month). Do you have any pets? All of these will impact the answers you need to hear.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:55 AM

We have been there and I have been reading all the posts on here for quite some time. I have a great job that I start as soon as I get there. tbe company that I got a job with has a 4 bedroom house tbat I will live in for free untill I find a house. a company vehicle is being provided for me when I get there so no rental car needed. we do have 2 dogs which have already startec their 120 day process. we are shipping our minivan and I have sold my 2 other cars and will buy a personal vehicle there for me when I find tbe right one. budget $2000-$2200 for a house hopefully we find one in that range. if not we will pay more.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,001 times
The area your job is located is needed to assist you properly. You don't need to be specific, just whether its West, South, Central Maui etc. For instance Kula is an excellent area to live, but not if your work is in West Maui.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM

central. the house I will be staying when I get there is in pukalani.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:14 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plicon View Post
central. the house I will be staying when I get there is in pukalani.
Pukalani is a nice middle class area to stay. We stayed there while visiting Maui. It's a pretty short commute to anywhere in central Maui from there. Make sure to get a Costco membership. The gasoline is about 42 cents cheaper there. However, you might have to wait about 10 to 15 minutes in line for gas. We found a GPS was helpful around Pukalani because the area we were staying was a bit of a tangle. Not all of the roads went through.

Since Pukalani is about 1,500 feet, it's a little cooler and less humid. It's great sleeping weather with the windows open. It was nice and quiet too, unless the nearby golf course workers were out early with their old gasoline powered golf carts or their sprinkler system was running with the old fashioned noisy sprinkler heads.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
My recommendation is to get over here, take a week off before you start work, and get out and look at neighborhoods yourself. Based on your desire to have a good place for your kids, and working central Maui, I would look first in the upcountry areas - Kula especially. Maybe Makawao or Haiku also. Upcountry has a lot of private schools, and even if you have no intention of going private, it indicates the importance that parents in the upcountry area put on education.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM

those are the areas that I was thinking. I guess the best thing obviously is to just put in the leg work of drivi.g around in each area and try to get a feel for each as best I can...

Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 PM

does anyone have advice on shipping my firearms to the island?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 PM

80 posts, read 194,744 times
Find a FFL, Register it within 3 days of arrival to the island with the local PD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui