Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
My suggestion, at least till you get here and get the feel of the place, is to be very careful of the houses on Craigslist that don't use a professional property managing company.
Your bad luck doesn't exactly mean good advice for others. If the property is managed by property management company then that probably means your landlord doesn't live in Hawaii - that might not be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Hey my sister and I are planning to move to Hawaii in the next year or so ages 29 and 19. Can u give any advice to two young African American women..?

Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
Default Moving to Maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rido View Post
I understand where you are coming from, just check it out and see if it is the right fit for you. I personally love the culture of Hawaii. I hope you enjoy it.

Should hit us up on the message board when you arrive.
Hi Rido,
We, like many other, are moving to Maui in October. I'm writing just to get any advise you may have and perhaps we could meet up when we get there. We're moving from Chicago and have a photography business that hopefully will help to make that transition. It is myself, my husband and our cat coming. I know how difficult it is to find rentals that allow pets. We are arranging temporary housing in a vacation rental and will hopefully find something within about 3 weeks.
All in all, I just thought I'd write to say aloha and see if you have any advice/recommendations for us. I figure it can't hurt to reach as others have done.
Thanks.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the twink View Post
Hi Rido,
We, like many other, are moving to Maui in October. I'm writing just to get any advise you may have and perhaps we could meet up when we get there. We're moving from Chicago and have a photography business that hopefully will help to make that transition. It is myself, my husband and our cat coming. I know how difficult it is to find rentals that allow pets. We are arranging temporary housing in a vacation rental and will hopefully find something within about 3 weeks.
All in all, I just thought I'd write to say aloha and see if you have any advice/recommendations for us. I figure it can't hurt to reach as others have done.
Thanks.
Rido ended up moving to Bismarck, North Dakota.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:19 PM

127 posts, read 180,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Rido ended up moving to Bismarck, North Dakota.
Thanks for the update. I know he was a fellow Houstonian that moved here earlier this year - didn't know he left.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Hula View Post
Thanks for the update. I know he was a fellow Houstonian that moved here earlier this year - didn't know he left.
If you look at Rido's posting history, it doesn't appear Rido ever made it.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,447 times
I am 23 and I live in New Jersey. I got out of college and moved here from Massachusetts a couple years ago. I have a great, well paying job. The only thing is, I am miserable. I have been looking at a lot of different paths and right now moving to HI seems like the best.

Nj cost a lot to live just like the islands of HI, so I am used to that. The question I have is what island and where on the island would be best. I am not looking for a very high paying job. Just enough to pay my rent, utilities, and food. I really want to embrace the aloha spirit and find myself.

I am looking for a safe friendly area where I can meet and build relationships with quality people. I get that everywhere has it's good and bad parts and that is why I'm asking theses questions here. Thank you

Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM

242 posts, read 392,183 times
Maui is not the place for you.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyJohn View Post
I am 23 and I live in New Jersey. I got out of college and moved here from Massachusetts a couple years ago. I have a great, well paying job. The only thing is, I am miserable. I have been looking at a lot of different paths and right now moving to HI seems like the best.
Quote:
Nj cost a lot to live just like the islands of HI, so I am used to that.
No you're not. Not really. Oahu and Maui in particular cost MORE to live in than NJ does, while the wages are a good deal LOWER.

Put them together and you get the dreaded double-whammy that Hawaiians call the O`o N`o!, aka Stepping in the Deep PuPu.

Quote:
The question I have is what island and where on the island would be best. I am not looking for a very high paying job. Just enough to pay my rent, utilities, and food.
Seriously, many folks in Hawai'i find they have to work TWO not-very-high-paying jobs in order to pay for rent, utilities, and food.

Quote:
I am looking for a safe friendly area where I can meet and build relationships with quality people. I get that everywhere has it's good and bad parts and that is why I'm asking theses questions here. Thank you
With due respect, you're asking the wrong questions. The first might be, "Should I even consider this?" Hawai'i is not a good place to head for casually... out in the middle of the ocean, in one of the most remote places on earth... unless you have a lot of cash and a good job, and preferably some previous experience being in Hawai'i, whether from vacation or military service.

Spend as much time as you possibly can reading the previous threads here on all aspects of relocating to Hawai'i to get the glitter out of your eyes amd your feet on the ground about the difficulties of what you are considering, and plan accordingly, so you don't find yourself "up PuPu Creek without a Hoe."

Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No you're not.
Put them together and you get the dreaded double-whammy that Hawaiians call the O`o N`o!, aka Stepping in the Deep PuPu.
Didn't realize the 'Hawaiians' ever said that. Must be a Volcano thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui