Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,746 times

Advertisements

Wow Koale, you sound like a positive and beautiful person! If you ever want another friend on the island to talk story with, you've got one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM

200 posts, read 1,022,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Aloha... what could start your day more perfectly than tucking a flower
behind your ear and taking a swim in the ocean just knowing it was going
to be a beautiful day? Huh? I ask you?

Gonna talk a little story to you here...
One day I was making my way along a very deserted stretch of beach near the airport. Wasn't much older than you. I sat down to contemplate my life. Work was a bit scarce, money was a bit low, my Lover had left for the mainland six months before w/out telling me... there I was, feeling all alone on Maui, then... something caught my eye. It was reflecting a blue/green light and bobbing by a branch out in the water about 30 feet out or so. When I made my way out to it I discovered it was a glass fishermans float, about 4 inches in diameter. It was just waiting for me. It was so utterly beautiful. Everything came into perspective at that moment. I don't know why. Maybe because something beautiful and exotic had found its' way into my life when I thought my life was down the tubes. I wasn't hopeless, I was blessed! I took it back to the beach w/me and cried for a very very long time just letting it all go. It turned everything around for me. I felt positive and light-hearted. I got rid of the 'baggage' and started my life over.

I still have that float. 30 years later. I guard it with my life!
It reminds me of the magic that is Aloha! It reminds me why I'm coming home in June.

You hang in there, Honey! We'll talk you through it.

Look forward to hearing you've landed and that all is well with your world.
Aloha a hui hou!
Koale
Wow, sounds like a commercial for Hawaii! Now tell the people who move here that unless they let themselves go physically and mentally they will not make it here. Transplants to Hawaii either adjust to life by "fitting in" or they won't make it here. Kinda backwards thinking if someone really takes time to think for themselves....if you move to the south, people don't tell you to just act like southerners, or if you move to California you will never here someone tell you to just act like the locals do.....etc!

-Being asked if you're a tourist or where are you from is the biggest complement you can imagine after living in Hawaii for years! Once people stop asking, then you should be worried. Flowers behind your ear and dips in the ocean are great if you simply don't care about anything else.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM

42 posts, read 185,455 times
Default what you think is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
I am 21 years old and married. I have no children, no car payments, no mortgage. I am going to college to become a dental assistant. If I want to do anything interesting in my life, just for me, NOW is the time. I desperately want to live in Maui or somewhere in Hawaii. I would love for anyone to contact me who lives there and could help me out, I don't know where to look for help. I need to know the safest place to live, where I could work, how much everything costs, etc., etc., etc. PLEASE HELP!!
Hear this,I just think if you really reach Maui OR Hawaii,would you will be in a interesting life?sometimes,when somebody feel bad,they want to change the present situation.but do you think that when you go to a new place ,you feel unsatisfied,what will you do?after all,Life is not all roses. so keep a good view of life,most of things is interesting to your life,just sit down ank think.
when you make a decision,look before you leap 。

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 AM

200 posts, read 1,022,627 times
Default same person, different place

Soooo many people flee to Hawaii with huge amounts of baggage with them that they think will just go away once they get to "paradise". That is why Hawaii in general is infested with so many sketchy people because they came looking to change or get over a drug habit or come to a happier place, etc.....but they soon realize they have the same issues they always had but now they brought them and themselves to an island and can't get off!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:08 AM

110 posts, read 753,606 times
a beloved family member of mine has regained their life in maui- it has been a very magical place of healing for this young person

i love maui even though it has changed (what place hasn't)

although i don't have the desire to live there but i have always felt the magic there that is part of the land, the sea, the air, the sun & if you are open, good things can happen

Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 AM

156 posts, read 806,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
LOL...I'm sorry for my poor attitude, but know it is a huge part of why I want to move to Maui. I am extremely depressed and want to find happiness. I felt it both times I've been there and I didn't want to leave.
You have to find happiness in yourself not in places. No matter where you go, you drag your depression with you. It may only get worse on remote island, without friends and family. Think about.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM

210 posts, read 972,857 times
agree with Mad Russia, it is so true.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,084,719 times
[quote=caitcslc;2905793]I am 21 years old and married. I have no children, no car payments, no mortgage. I am going to college to become a dental assistant. If I want to do anything interesting in my life, just for me, NOW is the time. I desperately want to live in Maui or somewhere in Hawaii. I would love for anyone to contact me who lives there and could help me out, I don't know where to look for help. I need to know the safest place to live, where I could work, how much everything costs, etc., etc., etc.

Um, you mention you are married yet the rest of the post is all "I" and no "we"? Are you running away from your marriage or will you be bringing it along with you? Generally, in a marriage there is no "just for me" it (if the marriage is to work) is all about "just for us". Each of you should be taking care of the other as well as yourself. There is a certain amount of "just for me" within a marriage but that is usually small stuff like a new article of clothing, a new toy or new hobby not running off to Maui (by yourself?) unless it benefits your significant other as well.

Also, "going to college to become a dental assistant" is not quite the same as "graduated collage and am a dental assistant". Are there any colleges on Maui to finish your college?

Will running away solve your problems? Some problems you can run from and some of them you can't. So if they are the sort of problems you can run away from then Maui may be a good choice. If they are the sort of problems which follow along with you, then perhaps it will be an expensive way to find out you still have problems.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-21-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: removed myspace link

Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 PM

190 posts, read 849,955 times
I have a gut feeling caitcslc will not be posting in the Hawaii section anymore. Let's wait and see.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,440,345 times
[quote=caitcslc;2905793]I am 21 years old and married. I have no children, no car payments, no mortgage. I am going to college to become a dental assistant. If I want to do anything interesting in my life, just for me, NOW is the time. I desperately want to live in Maui or somewhere in Hawaii. I would love for anyone to contact me who lives there and could help me out, I don't know where to look for help. I need to know the safest place to live, where I could work, how much everything costs, etc., etc., etc. PLEASE HELP!!

Caitlyn,

From one pretty person to another, get da hell outta Utah...I know you didn't asked to be born there but pretty girl like yourself should not be confined to such uglyness that is Utah. I'd suggest Oahu in lieu of Maui as I think you are not old enough to live in Maui but I think you can walk in to any resort and get a job, just don't take the cleaning job!

Aaaand lastly, be sure to finish college, no matter what!!! Good luck beautiful!

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-21-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: removed e mail addy and myspace link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui