Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 AM

7 posts, read 51,995 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years old and married. I have no children, no car payments, no mortgage. I am going to college to become a dental assistant. If I want to do anything interesting in my life, just for me, NOW is the time. I desperately want to live in Maui or somewhere in Hawaii. I would love for anyone to contact me who lives there and could help me out, I don't know where to look for help. I need to know the safest place to live, where I could work, how much everything costs, etc., etc., etc. PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-21-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM

58 posts, read 298,823 times
Hello Young One,

You have one life to live. If you are ever going to fail at something, failing while you are young is the time to do it.

Even if it doesn't work out for you, you will have unforgettable memories.

We tried it for a month and are still up in the air.

Island fever is for real. There are certain parts of Maui that lack sense of community too. Study the heck out of all options.

I heard oodles of rumors about how the locals don't like white people. Not true. Show respect, you adjust to their life style and all will be well. I wouldnt however live in Wailuku if you are white. Its not bad, but if theres going to be any racism, it'll be there.

Maui is beautiful. As Nike says, just do it. Your still a kid.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I figure if it turns out to be a huge mistake, I won't have lost anything.

Any particular website suggestions? Employment services, apartments, etc...?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,428,897 times
Default Try the brighter side...

of life.

Wow, you need to think much more positively about your life and what you have going on. Instead of anticipating your 'failures' ... consider your achievements and where you wish to enjoy them.

You aren't going to fail in Maui. Maui is the land of opportunity.
Get packin' and enjoy it all.

Much Aloha
Koale

Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Wanting to Appreciate Life

LOL...I'm sorry for my poor attitude, but know it is a huge part of why I want to move to Maui. I am extremely depressed and want to find happiness. I felt it both times I've been there and I didn't want to leave.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:28 PM

67 posts, read 518,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
Yeah, I figure if it turns out to be a huge mistake, I won't have lost anything.

Any particular website suggestions? Employment services, apartments, etc...?
Buy this book:

So You Want to Live in Hawaii: The Guide to Settling and Succeeding in the Islands (Second Edition) by Toni Polancy (Paperback - Jun 30, 2005)

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
LOL...I'm sorry for my poor attitude, but know it is a huge part of why I want to move to Maui. I am extremely depressed and want to find happiness. I felt it both times I've been there and I didn't want to leave.
Aloha... what could start your day more perfectly than tucking a flower
behind your ear and taking a swim in the ocean just knowing it was going
to be a beautiful day? Huh? I ask you?

Look forward to hearing you've landed and that all is well with your world.
Aloha a hui hou!
Koale

Last edited by Koale; 02-25-2008 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: INCOMPLETE

Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM

25 posts, read 233,523 times
You will not find happiness in Hawaii. Instead you will pack your sadness in yer bags and bring it with you. Only to be taken out after you have been here for a bit longer.

It is much harder to live here then it is to vacation here.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM

25 posts, read 233,523 times
Well, if the flower could have been a "Angel’s Trumpet" or you could get a staph infection after cutting yer leg on some lava in the ocean or ya get bit by an eel.

Where did that beautiful day go?

I am not a pessimist, I am a Buddhist. And tired of people selling Hawaii as a paradise.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Aloha... what could start your day more perfectly than tucking a flower
behind your ear and taking a swim in the ocean just knowing it was going
to be a beautiful day? Huh? I ask you?

Gonna talk a little story to you here...
One day I was making my way along a very deserted stretch of beach near the airport. Wasn't much older than you. I sat down to contemplate my life. Work was a bit scarce, money was a bit low, my Lover had left for the mainland six months before w/out telling me... there I was, feeling all alone on Maui, then... something caught my eye. It was reflecting a blue/green light and bobbing by a branch out in the water about 30 feet out or so. When I made my way out to it I discovered it was a glass fishermans float, about 4 inches in diameter. It was just waiting for me. It was so utterly beautiful. Everything came into perspective at that moment. I don't know why. Maybe because something beautiful and exotic had found its' way into my life when I thought my life was down the tubes. I wasn't hopeless, I was blessed! I took it back to the beach w/me and cried for a very very long time just letting it all go. It turned everything around for me. I felt positive and light-hearted. I got rid of the 'baggage' and started my life over.

I still have that float. 30 years later. I guard it with my life!
It reminds me of the magic that is Aloha! It reminds me why I'm coming home in June.

You hang in there, Honey! We'll talk you through it.

Look forward to hearing you've landed and that all is well with your world.
Aloha a hui hou!
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui