Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 03:12 PM
SFX

1,639 posts, read 895,505 times

Advertisements

<sarcasm>The police all died, bravely going door to door trying to save the 700 missing children.</sarcasm>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 08:07 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
The power company is pushing back:

"..Hawaiian Electric crews showed up to make repairs and saw no fire, smoke or embers near Lahainaluna Road. But, according to the statement, “Shortly before 3 p.m., while the power remained off, our crew members saw a small fire about 75 yards away from Lahainaluna Road in the field near the Intermediate School. They immediately called 911 and reported that fire.”

“By the time the Maui County Fire Department arrived back on the scene, it was not able
to contain the Afternoon Fire and it spread out of control toward Lahaina,” HECO said.

Records “conclusively establish” that “There was no electricity flowing through the wires in the area or anywhere else on the West Maui coast,” the statement said...."

https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/08/ha...through%20town.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:55 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
I doubt anyone will be held accountable.

Old 08-28-2023, 11:05 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The power company is pushing back:

"..Hawaiian Electric crews showed up to make repairs and saw no fire, smoke or embers near Lahainaluna Road. But, according to the statement, “Shortly before 3 p.m., while the power remained off, our crew members saw a small fire about 75 yards away from Lahainaluna Road in the field near the Intermediate School. They immediately called 911 and reported that fire.”

“By the time the Maui County Fire Department arrived back on the scene, it was not able
to contain the Afternoon Fire and it spread out of control toward Lahaina,” HECO said.

Records “conclusively establish” that “There was no electricity flowing through the wires in the area or anywhere else on the West Maui coast,” the statement said...."

https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/08/ha...through%20town.
Good information, thank you for sharing.

Whether it turns out to be true or not, it's a good reminder for people who go straight for assigning blame before all info is available, and forming a lynching mob.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2023, 02:10 PM

7,623 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I doubt anyone will be held accountable.

Probably the power company will have to pay out.

Old 08-28-2023, 03:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Probably the power company will have to pay out.
They only have $350 million in cash and $3.5 Billion in debt.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:31 AM

1,122 posts, read 963,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
People who were there, and survived, have posted videos on X showing a lot of what actually happened. Rather than try and post them all, I advise doing searches there.

Be warned, a lot of political and conspiracy theory stuff is clogging up the plumbing there. I saw footage that definitely looks like power lines starting multiple fires. The very real problem is people are also posting fake/deception video, so I recommend skepticism.

here is an example

https://twitter.com/Truthpole/status...408055297?s=20

I'm on X and saw a lot of videos as well. The first thing I said, it had to have been downed power lines (transformers bursting) They had wind over there. Devastating footage for sure. My husband's cousin Rich, lost his friend to the fire. He was hosing down his home but he ended up losing his life. Rich's friend - who died worked in one of the restaurants over there. Is there a Jake's over there? Or it may have been Dukes's. Rich and his wife vacationed over there a lot. Years ago, they lived on the big island. He ended up being a manager at the Jake's in Del Mar for years. Popular restaurant here in California.

I think they dropped the ball (government over there). Considering they were in a bad drought and everything was so dry. CNN showed one of the shelters pushing Oprah Winfrey away along with her camera crew. She wanted to go inside the shelter and they told her NO.

My husband and I donated to the GoFund that the Wayne Dyer Foundation/Will Cain set up. Will Cain of Fox News - his parents lived over there. He did some great coverage/reporting. He loved that area over there. I refused to give to the Red Cross. The monies from this GoFund will go to the people (locals) and that's the way it should be.

I wonder if the Mercy Hospital Ship was available. That would have been a great life saver for people injured. I was not impressed with the people running the show over there. Seemed incompetent to me.

Is this true- they shut down the exit where people were trying to escape in their cars? I have heard multiple stories about that from people who were being interviewed. So many people lost their lives and that is a real tragedy. I have never been to Maui but my sister and her husband use to go there a lot and LOVED IT.

Last edited by CaliforniaGal; 08-29-2023 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-29-2023, 09:51 AM

1,122 posts, read 963,080 times
Another issue was that the water was turned off? Hydrants. However, we know that my husband's cousins buddy who died over there was hosing his house down but the fire was so intense - he ended up losing his life.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/18/us/ha...res/index.html

Old 08-29-2023, 12:25 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,550,605 times
Update from Governor - 8/28/23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowYlDMS5TU

Old 08-31-2023, 12:48 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,550,605 times
"adults who lost their primary homes in the Lahaina and Kula fires are eligible to receive $1200 a month. This includes both homeowners and renters....The funds will be distributed “each month for as long as members of our community are still in need and as long as the funds last"

Fund created by Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne Johnson will provide direct cash assistance to those who lose their primary home. Recipients decide how they want to use the money.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/31/e...aui/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui