Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,440,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenmatsten View Post
I guess I failed to mention my sons are 19 and 17, both trained in MMA for years, over 6 ft tall, and from a very close knit family who stay in touch by all means. I , on the other hand, am only 5 foot 2 and very ladylike. I do appreciate your concern, though.
LOL...I was thinking same thing as Maui 08! Hey are they any good in MMA? BJ Penn has a gym in Hilo...maybe they could make it in MMA someday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 AM

26 posts, read 108,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
LOL...I was thinking same thing as Maui 08! Hey are they any good in MMA? BJ Penn has a gym in Hilo...maybe they could make it in MMA someday?
Lol!! That's one of their favorite MMA guys! They both studied MMA, Aikido, and boxing. Got my own bodyguards when I walk around! LOL!!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 AM

Default Go For It!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifix View Post
Thanks Bren, Dawneel. Both pretty fair judgements from each point of view, and I happen to agree with both. I do know that the U.S. Economy is S#!t right now and the effects are felt in Hawaii, but the same is basically true anywhere you are in the U.S. right now. I am going to make the leap myself, without children in February and get set up. That isnt to say that it will be easy, I'm still living in reality. I just think that there is still something to be said about people that make positive changes in their lives without being completely sure of the outcome. Waiting for the right time is sometimes only a waste of time and alot of opportunities can be missed.

I couldn't agree with you more on this part. Just make sure you do all your homework and research. It's do-able, you just have to make sure to have plan B, C, D, and all the way down! Good luck!!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 PM

10 posts, read 37,882 times
Quote:
Hey Bren, based on what you've seen so far, how are job oppurtunities there for entry-level type work. Hotel/Hospitality Restaurant servers etc. Did you have a place to live already lined up before moving? I am planning to move there on Feb 16 of '09. 3 kids (under 4), and a girlfriend will be accompanying me. We don't have jobs there yet, or housing arranged but we are 2 capable people and I think we can make it. What do you think? Neither of us are college educated, I have been in Hotel management for 4 years or so..she is an experienced restaurant server. Worst-case-scenario, do you think its possible to make it with the two of us, and 3 kids on a combined income of about 36,000 a year? Based on what you have encountered? We will arrive with a car and living expenses for 2-3 months. I've read over and over that it probably isnt possible, what is your experience so far? Thank you in advance for any help

Jeremy
Dallas, Texas
As a mainland transplant, please reconsider moving here, although it is beautiful-it is not really a great place for kids in terms of education-UNLESS you can afford to send them to private school, which on a salary of $36,000 is not possible, considering a lot of the private schools cost 10k or more a year for k-5. Come here for a nice family vacation you can even save money and "sublet" a furnished place for a summer or a monthly vacation rental and enjoy the weather, but then you will probably want to go home and send your kids to a quality public school.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,708,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenmatsten View Post
Lol!! That's one of their favorite MMA guys! They both studied MMA, Aikido, and boxing. Got my own bodyguards when I walk around! LOL!!
They get Judo/BJJ from BJ Penn and they will be straight-up dangerous! There are some good MMA gyms in Maui........

Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,440,696 times
yeah but only one that's worth a dam is with BJ Penn in Hilo

Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM

115 posts, read 472,016 times
Quote:
Thanks Bren, Dawneel. Both pretty fair judgements from each point of view, and I happen to agree with both. I do know that the U.S. Economy is S#!t right now and the effects are felt in Hawaii, but the same is basically true anywhere you are in the U.S. right now. I am going to make the leap myself, without children in February and get set up. That isnt to say that it will be easy, I'm still living in reality. I just think that there is still something to be said about people that make positive changes in their lives without being completely sure of the outcome. Waiting for the right time is sometimes only a waste of time and alot of opportunities can be missed. There is no opportunity for me here. There just isn't. None that I would be interested in. I would rather survive in Hawaii on a tight budget than make 100k a year where I am now. Maybe that is stupid, but wasting even another few years of my life where I am not happy just to be comfortable isn't worth it. Any other facts or opinions are definately welcomed, I appreciate all that you guys are willing to offer. See you soon
Hello All, I am back again from the dead. Well almost I had a major heart attack that have set my plans off a bit.

Anyways on to what I think about Pacifix venture, When I first went into business everyone told me I was crazy that it wouldn't work or I am risking everything and my family and such. Well after awhile many of those people worked for me and they now know that willingness to take a chance can pay off. I have retired as of a about 8 months ago at age of 47 but it figure I would have a heart attack shortly after.

The moral of the story is if you don't take the chance you will never know. Please keep in mind your kids and what is going to be best for them and that doesn't mean the very best schools as long as you can guide them at home but if you have to work two jobs to get by that may be a bit difficult to do.

My mother told me from when I was a kid to when she died that if it's something you truely want you will find a way to get it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else to fullfill the dream then go for it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope things turn out the way you want.

Sorry for rambling on and it is good to read the forum again and hope to be over there soon

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 26,878 times
Hey Jimbo, not that I knew you from before but welcome back! We're glad you made it through. You're in good company. Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion.
One of the best things about this forum and forums like this one is that you can get objective opinions on certain things. For the most part anyway. Friends and family are almost never useful in this capacity. Well, mine aren't. It's all good though, I'll definately be landing in HI in February '09. You're advice is well taken and I appreciate it. I'll see you there

Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 51,053 times
I agree with Bren.....We are moving there for a better quality of life and I am leaving all my family(I have no kids), friends, and good paying job. I am not happy with my old job and have since resigned and moving to Maui next week with my significant other and two cats. We have planned this for seven months and are moving debt free!! we own everything and have shipped our cars and personal effects. Paid our rent up front until March '09. We pland to take a month of and then hit the job scene. I have already applied for several jobs and got some hits back! It's all good! Maui no ka oi~ yOu only live once so follow your dreams and goals. Don't look back and say "shoulda, coulda, woulda"

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM

Welcome to the islands Kaiwahine!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: